Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Has anyone talked about how VaTech is last in the ACC in recruiting?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Has anyone talked about how VaTech is last in the ACC in recruiting?

Dec 21, 2019, 6:28 AM

How the he!! did that happen? Bud Foster retired, but that's been known. How does Fuente drop the ball on recruiting in his 4th year at a historically good football program? Seriously, what happened??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Has anyone talked about how VaTech is last in the ACC in recruiting?

Dec 21, 2019, 6:37 AM

They need to make a change..... at coach, they aren’t close to the VT standard they held for years.

They have taken a nose dive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

#6 to number 14 is about the same

Dec 21, 2019, 6:42 AM

those 9 teams have 9 4 star recruits between them

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2019, 7:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Has anyone talked about how VaTech is last in the ACC in recruiting? ]

Unfortunately, I don’t think VT will ever regain their top tier team ability again. College football has changed too much.

Dec 21, 2019, 8:10 AM

Some said that about Clemson during our recent 20 year stint in the wilderness. It’s possible Va Tech can regain their stature. The ingredients are there with the right coach.

Granted, even in our bleakest Hatfield/West/Bowden years, Clemson never recruited that poorly, unless perhaps it was during a coaching change year.

Dec 21, 2019, 7:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Has anyone talked about how VaTech is last in the ACC in recruiting? ]

I agree . I thought that the Fuente hire was a good one . He had overperformed at Memphis and with VA Tech's history under Beamer I guess I assumed kids would jump onboard an offensively minded coach who had retained their legendary DC Bud Foster .
It seems things have stagnated there and low and behold UVa has maybe even passed them in state now .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 21, 2019, 7:08 AM

I don't know that Frank Beamer recruited all that better than Fuente has this year. Seemed to me that he was able to develop so-called "lesser talent" into really good football teams, kind of like Chris Petersen at Boise State.

Beamers classes were heavy with 3 stars

Dec 22, 2019, 12:56 AM

With a few 4 stars every year. Mostly defensive 4 stars

They did a great job developing 3 star players.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2019, 7:09 AM

They have only have 14 signed so they should move up after February. I looked through the recruiting rankings over the last 15 years and noticed that before the current staff most of VT's players were from the home state. Only 1 of the 14 is from Virginia. That does not bode well for Fuente.

Message was edited by: reynolds®

Agreed there is a lot of talent there to whiff on***

Dec 21, 2019, 8:49 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2019, 8:56 AM

VT has a really small class size if memory serves me right. That hurt their ranking.

Dec 21, 2019, 12:25 PM

Right.

Class size is a huge part of rankings.

Next year, Dabo won't sign 24 recruits again, so we will almost certainly drop in the rankings. The reason so many SEC schools are Top 10 every year is because they oversign like airlines overbook. SEC coaches will sign 22-25 players even if they only have 20 schollies to give. Best case scenario, attrition balances the books; (somebody doesn't qualify, leaves early, drops out, transfers); worst case, a handful of signees pay their own way until a scholarship opens up or are released from their NLI when they find out there is no scholly for them.

Some coaches are straight up to recruits who are on the bubble; others are not. Every SEC fan claims that his coach is one of the honest ones. Pretty sure Dabo considers the entire concept of oversigning unethical. That's why he uses grey shirts as motivations to earn his unspent scholarships.

Top schools can only get away with it because demand exceeds supply. Once kids decide they would rather go to UAB with a guaranteed scholly than wait in line for a possible one from Bama or Auburn, this practice will stop.

VT culture is in disarray. So much infighting on roster

Dec 21, 2019, 2:25 PM

Look at how many players have been pushed out over the past few years. Older players telling younger players not to work so hard.

Fuente is a good coach, but there is a disconnect between him and his players right now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2019, 8:44 PM

Sad. They came into the acc as a top 10 team. Same with miami. Both had traditions. Had they kept it up look where the acc wouLd be now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

they moved into a tougher league and both of them

Dec 22, 2019, 1:00 AM

Have been pretty bad compared to their histories. They have fallen off in coaching mostly imo.

Dec 22, 2019, 11:43 AM

Also note many of the ACC teams sign a lot of guys in February

Dec 22, 2019, 12:05 PM

They have a small class this year because they are returning almost all of their two deep. They signed decent classes in 17, 18, and 19. Fuente has to do a better job of keeping VA recruits in state, but overall, he has recruited decently. They should be the favorite to win the Coastal next year. This year will go along way for that program. UNC is trending up under Mack Brown. Mendenhall has UVA trending up, but his recruiting classes have all been really bad. Miami is a dumpster fire.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic