Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hartins and other Tiger that were at Clemson in the 60s
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Hartins and other Tiger that were at Clemson in the 60s

Apr 14, 2016, 4:24 PM

Today there is a sit in at Sikes Hall. I remember reading that RC Edwards would not take any kind of anti-military demonstrations. My question is what was it like on Clemson's campus in the late sixties and do you find any parallels to today's protest.

https://twitter.com/thetigerCU/status/720700828055650305

Personally, as a rising Freshman at Clemson next year, I think these protests are silly and not needed. Far too long my generation (and I say that with regret) have tried to whine about every litte thing known to man. Perhaps its a product of the trophy generation or something. IDK, my Father always told me you have to work for stuff in life, you can't demand an easier burden. I'm also interested in hearing others opinions on this

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If hartins was at Clemson in the 60's then he was

Apr 14, 2016, 4:38 PM

a 34th year senior

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

It could happen***

Apr 14, 2016, 4:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

FYI Hartins was there as I was (started 1959)...

Apr 14, 2016, 5:00 PM [ in reply to If hartins was at Clemson in the 60's then he was ]

And all i can say is the diversity of the people (race, gender, color, etc) shown in attached pic would not have been seen back then..

We mainly were interested in Clemson, getting a hamburger at Dan's, thumbing a ride home in front of that building (use to be the library) and not so interested in ourselves or a cause.

Oh, in 1962 or 1963 i personally saw Harvey Gantt come out of Tillman Hall after registering, and there was no problem or students picketing..just gawkers.

To this day i wish i had met him..as a Clemson student, a mayor, an architect or as an American citizen.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with blubbill, the diversity

Apr 14, 2016, 5:13 PM

Of people would not have been there. I was a freshman in 1965 and the only groups we had were all male rats trying to make the best of attending college with 11 males to 1 female. That's one reason it was a suitcase college then. Thumbed to I85 many times and went both North and South looking for a good time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson is not that diverse and neither is that picture***

Apr 14, 2016, 9:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A little bit of tear gas would be appropriate

Apr 14, 2016, 4:59 PM

Perhaps more than a little.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hartins and other Tiger that were at Clemson in the 60s

Apr 14, 2016, 5:03 PM

My years were 1969-1973 and I don't recall anything like this happening. The only kind of protest that I remember is when Jane Fonda came to protest the Vietnam War. I think that most folks, including me, didn't agree at all with her but just wanted to see her.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2016, 7:14 PM

I was there in 69-71 and 74-75. I don't remember the 11 males to 1 female. I thought I could count all the females on campus on 2 hands. They were rare. I only had 1 black student in my math class, and he was a cool guy that was a grad student just sitting in.

Going to Dan's, The Red Carpet (Go-Go Girls), and The Study Hall were favorites of mine. Hating on the chickens was a favorite past time. Hitchhiking to GVL was a common thing for me as a freshman. I had a car, but freshmen weren't allowed to park on campus. I should have organized a sit-in. And I hated Fonda so badly that I wouldn't even walk across campus to see her or protest.

Apr 14, 2016, 8:48 PM

In 1968, Manning Hall was full of us coeds.
Occupancy around 400. Sure seemed like a lot when you were trying to get a shower, grin....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2016, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Hartins and other Tiger that were at Clemson in the 60s ]

I enrolled in the fall of 1968. My freshman class included about 400 women and that doubled the female population on campus. As I recall there were roughly 6300 undergraduates and 800 of them were women. That fall, the women had a 9 pm curfew the first 6 weeks or so of the fall semester. They had to be back in their dorms before dark!

There were a lot fewer black students than women students. So we did not have a diverse student body at all.

I do not recall anything bigger than a lame anti-war movement on campus. Yep, we had a candlelight parade and some other anti-war events during my years on campus. We also had several thousand ROTC cadets on campus and every year several hundred students were commissioned as officers in the Army or Air Force. Clemson was even in a minor way an active anti-war campus.

That's what I recall anyway.

Apr 14, 2016, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Hartins and other Tiger that were at Clemson in the 60s ]

The SDS was very big on college campuses in those days but the chapter at Clemson didn't survive

I can't recall a protest of any kind ever occurring while I was a Clemson student

I was there from 1968-1972..........

Apr 14, 2016, 5:48 PM

I remember a few anti- war protest marches including one candlelight march from the area of the President's home to Tillman Hall. There were not that many protesters and it was not very well received. I recall the protesters were harrassed by a fair number of students. However, Jane Fonda came to deliver an anti-war speech in the amphitheater and there were thousands of students there to protest her speech. The booing was so loud that they had to end it because it was inciting the masses. I'll never forget that she walked right next to me in a suede jacket, tight leather pants and a shag haircut. I was surprised that she hadn't been arrested then or now for treason.
Clemson, as previously mentioned, was not diverse at the time. There were few women or afro-americans. It was a conservative , military rooted college. The students were "rats" that just wanted to party and.....study!! Not protest or tolerate any campus disruption, peaceful or not. However, I'll always remember how Jane just woke them up and really pissed them off.

18 USC 2381

Apr 14, 2016, 6:10 PM

Yes, she was guilty of treason by even a narrow interpretation of thr statute.

Apr 14, 2016, 6:00 PM

As I was riding through campus around 5 o'clock, I noticed the demonstrators. I found it very ironic that as soon as I passed Sikes, I drove by Bowman where ROTC drill was going on. I am very appreciative of the military and appreciate these ROTC students who are willing to fight for our freedoms which allow the protesters to stage their sit in. I wonder if any of the protesters thanked the cadets for this?

Apr 14, 2016, 6:22 PM

I was there 62-67 and I only recall one protest about anything, including Harvey Gant. The one protester I saw was sitting on the Loggia with a sign around his neck that said, "Sitting In Protest of the War in Vietnam". Only saw him once, turns out he was right. Of course I didn't like it then, no one did. We should never go to war without the goal of winning. We lost too many good men and perhaps some women, for absolutely nothing.

This included my Freshman year Hall Monitor George Mims, shot down over North Vietnam and I don't think his body was ever recovered. Yep, you will find his plaque in the Memorial across from the stadium. God Bless him and all who served in all wars.

badge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well stated***

Apr 14, 2016, 7:10 PM

what are the whiners protesting now?***

Apr 14, 2016, 6:41 PM

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Clemson was great then

Apr 14, 2016, 8:40 PM

Just as it is now but quite different in many ways. First of all, co eds were almost non existent Just 5000 guys trying to survive. Few cars Only one place within walking distance(Nicks) to buy a thirty cent beer. The Gant incident was one of my best moments at Clemson. Prior to his arrival the campus was totally crammed with newsmen etc just waiting for the next Alabama incident You couldn't even walk to Dans without showing your id to security guys. Unfortunately for the media and the rest of the country none of the students really cared about being the first SC school to integrate and his admission to Clemson was very uneventful. He was just another guy with a great opportunity facing him... to be a Clemson Tiger. I've met him and his wife (also Clemson) several times and they are quality pelople Just like most Tigers that I know!

I am sure that few will agree with this but I think that doing away with the RAT tradition was a terrible mistake made at Clemson. That one tradition did more than anything to unite Clemson men immediately after enrolling Sorry you guys of today missed that...

Clemson was and is a great place. None like it

I could not agree more........

Apr 14, 2016, 8:56 PM

From the moment you stepped on campus, you started to learn everything about Clemson....its cheers , alma mater, history, campus, traditions, professors, town, etc. and we had mandatory pep rallies every Thursday night. It was not optional but mandatory. You knew who all your fellow freshman were because you had to wear a goofy looking hat or a bell if you were a female. There was an immediate bonding with your fellow classmates, the student body, the school and the community. As a matter of fact, wherever you went with that hat, in or out of the area, the people knew that you were a freshman at Clemson. It probably sounds insufferable to those that never experienced it and probably seemed tough to us at the time, but I would not trade the experience for anything. Did I mention that they cut off all of your hair? Thus the goofy hat to minimize the doo!!!

Perhaps, the greatest bastian for freedom of expression

Apr 15, 2016, 7:05 AM

in those days was "The Tiger" newspaper, which was a formidable student-run organization due to its being the primary source of news and information on campus.

Clemson was unique in that the paper was uncensored, being solely controlled by the Editor-in-Chief and his senior editors. Although there was a certain amount of liberal thinking among the staff due to rising interest in social issues, most were mindful of the responsibilities of fairness, accuracy and objectivity. Part of the responsibility was awareness of issues affecting the entire population.

I had the great fortune of serving as the Editor-in-Chief my junior year from 1967-1968, and we were familiar with all the prevailing sentiments in those days...anti-war, feminism, the rise in the drug culture, racial harmony and intolerance, etc. Then, there were more local issues, primarily focusing on the Rat System, dress codes, the influence of athletics, alcohol usage and so on.

I give Bob Edwards much credit for his patience and skill with dealing with the issues of those times, particularly his allowance for a certain amount of freedom of expression. We published a series on the drug culture on campus, which was picked up by most of the major dailies across the state and in Charlotte. Although the administration initially denied its existence, we countered, and the paper won major awards for the series. Later on that year, it received an All-American national rating, naming it one of the top 25 collegiate papers nationally, an honor of which Bob Edwards was particularly proud.

Oft times now, I think what our reaction to certain issues of today would have been. Interesting for some of us older Tigers.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic