Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Group Of 5 - Need Their Own National Champion!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Dec 18, 2020, 7:37 PM

If the G5 conference teams had their own National Championship all the threads of "making it fair would go away" i.m.o!

You play the season and schedule exactly how you are doing now; except the committee will determine the best four in P5 and in G5!

Before you say it's crazy or stupid - please realize the NCAA is already splitting college football teams. FCS, Division II and Division III.

What's one more? The FCS champ won't feel fullfilled(North Dakota State most likely right) if they don't get to say they were the only one? No. Same thing happens in H.S. football all the time using the "CLASS SYSTEM"! AAAAA, AAAA, AAA, AA, A - and those teams that win it are proud of their accomplishments and fan bases are happy and money gets spent, on concessions, parking, tickets, etc.

That's lowering the pool but weeding out any need to "include them out of fairness"! If you are P5 you are said to be on level playing ground, right? Step up or step down to G5. App St. won what 3 National Titles and decided, "hey, been there done that we want to play with the big boys"! They did and have been largely successful so far! No championships yet, but they have won a lot.

What do some of you think of that?
There are a few of you I would especially like to hear from. I won't mention who - but you all know I respect your opinion on these type things!

***Before someone suggest this is more - everybody gets a trophy please imagine just telling North Dakota State and Mount Union and any other small school - "hey there is only one trophy - so what cry me a river - win that one or go home"! You likely wouldn't - so try and stay in the framework of what I am getting at for the sake of argument!

Thanks!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Group Of 5 - Need Their Own National Champion!

Dec 18, 2020, 9:30 PM

The other thing I failed to mention is. You get to kind of do the FCS to G5 and G5 to FBS transfer(reverse).

Another thing would be: "you would have incentive to schedule decent OOC P5 competition. You would still have your FCS opponents to get you ready for the season. But, knocking off a Big 10 opponent for example if you are a ACC school helps your champion. The way I envision it: the committee picks how they pick now! The 5th p5 conference that does not get in will probably have 1 or more losses compared to the other 4 having none. That's a perfect scenario - I know - but the point is rank the teams based on where they end up at the end of the year! If a perfect storm happens and you have 5 undefeated P5 champions then you accommodate an extra play in game. Or settle it by final ranking - 4 gets in over 5 and sorry 5!
Same way in G5!

To me: it's the cleanest way to make it fair! Then can't you imagine a Wake Forest or a Duke or Vanderbilt trying to suddenly be G5 schools? Thinking they will have a better shot at a National Title there. Until North Dakota State beats their backsides, LOL!

The very best talent in this scenario would still be taken at the FBS schools in theory! Then G5 gets the next best players! Followed by FCS and so on. Basically, how it is now! Except - no long drawn out discussions about how to make it more fair at the end of every season!

Dec 20, 2020, 3:33 PM

Based on the final CFP rankings:

1. Cincinatti
2. Coastal Carolina
3. BYU
4. Louisiana

Cincinatti vs. Louisiana in the Cure Bowl(Orlando). Coastal Carolina vs. BYU (instant classic rematch) in the Boca Raton Bowl(Boca Raton).

This has already been a year of crazy - the NCAA needs to take the opportunity to make it happen "THIS YEAR"!

No more participation trophies for all those teams/players/coaches/fans/supporters/etc. Now, just like FCS schools and division II and III you can be a National Champion! The competition at that level would probably be fierce year to year! Boise State will be sitting in the corner going - why couldn't this have happened when we were on top!

Seems the obvious thing to me. Which is why it won't happen - it makes too much sense!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

I agree but

Dec 18, 2020, 9:39 PM

I'm not for an 8 team playoff which will probably happen and they'll get in on the big money.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree but

Dec 18, 2020, 9:46 PM

It would be a 8 team playoff - but independent of each other!

For example you might have this year:

FBS would be:

Clemson vs. Ohio State
Alabama vs. Notre Dame

Group of 5 would be:

Coastal Carolina vs. Cincinatti
Louisiana vs. San Jose State

The Semi-Final bowl game for the G5 just can't be one the traditional P5 bowl sights.

Re: I agree but

Dec 19, 2020, 12:58 AM [ in reply to I agree but ]

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/group-of-5-four-team-college-football-playoff-debate/1pwgrkopdcpfc14yj79x2mvi8n

That may be what happens eventually anyway if P5 breakaway

Dec 19, 2020, 8:05 AM

In the meantime, these no-one-cares schools need to build their programs up and work their way into a better conference somehow.

Re: That may be what happens eventually anyway if P5 breakaway

Dec 19, 2020, 9:54 AM

PioneerG said:

In the meantime, these no-one-cares schools need to build their programs up and work their way into a better conference somehow.

Hard to do without getting the players! I can see - and stay with me on this PioneerG - " a situation where the G5 championship is more random and has a variety of participants each year"! The reason - parody!
As you take the best 3 stars you can get and blend them with your 2 star talent you have to develop for a year or two - occasionally you may strike Gold. JJ Watt, Hunter Renfrow, Khalil Mack - all 2 star prospects coming out of H.S.

G5 - could be what everyone wants to see at the FBS level. Coaching would be how it goes now. Have success at H.S. level - get FCS job! FCS job goes well - move up to a G5 school - if that goes well one of "the big boys" takes you to lead their program!

Building a program - correct! Some coaches are only ever going to be great at coaching "great players" not developing them! This is where I see Clemson having a huge advantage because of our blend of both ready made talent and developmental talent. Technically all talent is developmental - but some need far more time in the oven than others!

Dec 20, 2020, 4:48 PM [ in reply to That may be what happens eventually anyway if P5 breakaway ]

Won't happen - UH tried this some years back and got stonewalled by the little 12. At the time they had a team with promise and beat OU - made a great case for inclusion across the board.

Of course the Sooners and that school in Austin would never want that to happen because of the further impact to recruiting that would happen.

G5 schools don't have a realistic shot at getting into the playoff. This has been evident since the beginning.

Dec 20, 2020, 5:47 PM

Won't happen - UH tried this some years back and got stonewalled by the little 12. At the time they had a team with promise and beat OU - made a great case for inclusion across the board.

Of course the Sooners and that school in Austin would never want that to happen because of the further impact to recruiting that would happen.

G5 schools don't have a realistic shot at getting into the playoff. This has been evident since the beginning.

Which is why it makes no sense for them to have football programs that can't realistically ever play for a National Championship! They still have to spend "REAL MONEY" to have a football team.
So basically it's spend money on your program and facilities - but just forget about ever getting this big boy trophy!
Hard to fathom why those schools aren't screaming about the total disregard to how well they play! Boise St to UCF to this year Coastal and Cincinatti - G5 schools need to come together and say enough is enough. I still haven't fielded a "good argument against it"!

It doesn't hurt P5 schools.
It helps G5 schools.
FCS is already a split Championship in NCAA football; your just adding anothe!
You keep the same bowl tie-ins.
You keep the same polls and playoff committee.
You schedule the same.

You just reward the National Championship to a G5 team that earns it! They can play the same Monday as the P5 Championship in the early time window.

Surely, someone has an argument against. I must be missing something; if so tell me!

Here is one

Dec 23, 2020, 10:00 AM

If youre going to have a separate championship game for them, then that really just expediates the separation of P5 from the rest. You essentially just create another level of college football. Youd have FCS, FBS, and whatever you want to call this new division. Which, to me, ultimately hurts them. They are stuck somewhere between entry level college ball and big boy ball and Im not sure anyone outside of fans of those particular schools is going to give a crap about it.

Dec 20, 2020, 5:46 PM

Just get rid of the conf champ game, using the results of the regular season with tie breakers to decide who is champion, then expand the playoff to 8 teams to be chosen by merit.

Would result in a lot of Cool matchups and end the whining.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 2:03 PM

I could have saved you a lot of time and energy. This isn’t going to happen. Why not? Money. Nobody’s going to pay to see the minor leagues. The group of 5 are already getting a cut of the football playoff money. They would be stupid to give that up, that is what is currently funding all of their sports programs.

They need to take the check and quit bitching, because they are not and will not be invited to the big boy table.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic