Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Greyshirting legacy recruits
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Greyshirting legacy recruits

Apr 15, 2015, 6:32 PM

I do think an under-appreciated part of our staff's willingness to take some of these marginal legacy recruits is that we encourage them to wait a year before enrolling. In the case of the Davis twins, it's clear that the last year gave them a lot of time to get physically ready to join the team. They looked like capable linebackers to me during the spring game (I actually did a double-take when I realized who one of them was after checking the roster).

Hopefully the same will be true for Trapp and Dawkins. People said we shouldn't take Ryan Carter or Schuessler and both of them look to be contributors this year, so you never know.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Greyshirting legacy recruits

Apr 15, 2015, 6:56 PM

The thing is, they're just that - marginal talents. I highly doubt that they will ever be significant contributors, and certainly not better alternatives than other players we could take (i.e. not being able to take Tobias Little because of a Davis twin).

Apr 15, 2015, 8:22 PM

You've got to think big-picture, though. Dabo is landing these 5 star recruits because of the Family atmosphere that's unique to Clemson.

Why would we start doing what all the 'other' schools are doing if what we are doing is working? Think of it this way, for every greyshirt offer, there's a 5 star stud out there who sees that compassion and commitment to family first, and leans more toward Clemson.

Apr 17, 2015, 1:49 PM

Those gray shirts also produce some good players. Stanton Seckinger is a quality tight end. I think the numbers worked out so that he could come in a year early, but he was originally offered as a gray. With Regard to Tobias Little over one of the Davis twins, that ship hasn't sailed on a number of levels. First, Little's offers are fairly limited. UGa hasn't jumped on board and neither has Clemson. He seems to be a fence guy now, just below our offer list, but that could change depending on how well he does his senior season. He's 6 feet even and listed at 230 coupled with a reported 4.63 40 time. None of those measurable is screaming offer.

Apr 18, 2015, 6:43 PM

That's about the same size and speed as Shaq Thompson, who's widely projected as a top 40 pick for his athleticism. 4.63 at 6', 230 is seriously moving.

Apr 18, 2015, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Greyshirting legacy recruits ]

those are almost the exact same measurables as Boulware

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

When all we can whine about is greyshirts

Apr 18, 2015, 7:37 PM

You know the program is on solid ground. Dabo rocks!

What difference does it make if they greyshirt

Apr 15, 2015, 7:03 PM

what if they were a year younger, then they would have applied to the next year anyway. They are getting scholarships. Greyshirts are usually offered when you want the kid but have no room so you offer a grey shirt instead of losing them. In the case of greyshirts for legacies, there is no danger of losing them. You offer a greyshirt to make it look like you are not giving up a ship, when in fact you are.

BTW, I support the staff 100%. They can give as many legacy ships as they want. Call it what it is, a favor to family members.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What difference does it make if they greyshirt

Apr 15, 2015, 8:39 PM

But is it fare to give that scholarship as a legacy gift when there are kids that can contribute that wanted to come to Clemson, but we're out of scholarships bc of a few legacy gift scholarships. That's not what athletic scholarships are for, and personally I think that its wrong. But that is controlled by the HC!!! Maybe that should be left up to the IPTAY donors by a yay or nay vote by sending out a voter card to all IPTAY donors....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2015, 8:47 AM

Is it fair to give athletics scholarships at all? These are institutions of higher learning.

Is it fair to give instate students preferred treatment when applying? People have been up in arms about out of state students for ever now.

Is it fair to give legacy students a leg up in being accepted to the University?

If you have a problem with the players Dabo recruits because it affects the overall talent of the team then say so but saying scholarship distribution is unfair is crazy.

Clemson is about family and that is one of the things that makes it special. Dabo believes in the Clemson Family and so far it has served him well.

null

Apr 17, 2015, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: What difference does it make if they greyshirt ]

That's got to be the craziest approach ever. So, you want a card sent to all IPTAY donors to vote on which kids we offer scholarships to? Or, do you want a special category identified as legacy/charity scholarships? Who would decide which kids went into that category? How about Stan Rome's 4/5* son? Would they get an exemption if they had more than 10 offers from BCS conference schools? How about if they got 3*s or better from all the rating services? How about if we just voted on T-Net?

Apr 17, 2015, 12:33 PM [ in reply to What difference does it make if they greyshirt ]

Greyshirts - what a great way to extend the total number of scholarships offered while gaining great legacy PR for our overall program - banking on the genes of most of them seems very worthwhile!

Are we taking these players because we see potential that

Apr 15, 2015, 7:10 PM

other recruiters didn't see and we believe they can turn into the next Coty Sensebaugh or Andre Branch, or are we taking them knowing that even though they probably can't cut it, we feel the need to reward a former Clemson great?

There's a big difference to me.

If the son or nephew of a former Clemson star is a kid with untapped potential that we would have taken even if he weren't a legacy, then fine. We frequently find diamonds in the rough like that.

But, if we're giving scholarships simply to make his Daddy or Uncle happy for some reason, then meh ... it's hard to justify.

We've currently got 4-5 coming in who could certainly fall into the either category eventually.

Only time will tell whether we made a good decision using scholarships on them.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To be honest

Apr 15, 2015, 7:17 PM

couldn't this:

Only time will tell whether we made a good decision using scholarships on them.

be said about every recruit we bring in?

Re: To be honest

Apr 15, 2015, 7:22 PM

That's a pretty accurate statement.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, absolutely ...

Apr 17, 2015, 3:02 AM [ in reply to To be honest ]

Every scholarship offered comes with a degree of risk. Some more than other, though.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, absolutely ...

Apr 17, 2015, 7:58 AM

I am fine with every kid the staff has taken. The Davis twins seem to be developing nicely, I think Trapp will absolutely contribute on special teams if not in the secondary and Dawkins has some really nice stats and I want his daddy talking up Clemson and Dabo to everybody (keyshawn and co.). I think Dawkins and Trapp both have talent and will both contribute. The coaches know what they're doing. Let them do it. All In!

Re: To be honest

Apr 18, 2015, 7:54 PM [ in reply to To be honest ]

saved me typing this in a comment

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but you did anyway?

Apr 18, 2015, 8:06 PM

nomsayin?

Only time will tell about any of our recruits.

Apr 20, 2015, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Are we taking these players because we see potential that ]

Mike Bellamy, anyone?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And what about coaches sons like Jeff Scott ...

Apr 15, 2015, 7:30 PM

How did that pan out????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was a very reliable place kick holder***

Apr 15, 2015, 8:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He was a very reliable place kick holder***

Apr 17, 2015, 1:56 PM

I also think he was a walk on.

Re: And what about coaches sons like Jeff Scott ...

Apr 15, 2015, 8:42 PM [ in reply to And what about coaches sons like Jeff Scott ... ]

I'd say that panned out great for Clemson!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And what about coaches sons like Jeff Scott ...

Apr 18, 2015, 5:38 PM

I would agree 100%. And to think, he could of been a chicken.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Add to that walk ons like Tony Elliott ...

Apr 15, 2015, 7:32 PM

who "alledgedly" earn sscholorships.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2015, 7:37 PM

I'm sure his dad is paying his way.

Apr 15, 2015, 8:01 PM

Is there a chance the twins or others may be preferred walk ons?

Apr 15, 2015, 9:37 PM

Do not underestimate the value of keeping the fathers of legacy recruits involved in our program and helping recruit other players as the years go by. I am sure Coach Swinney
has thought it through and it is part of his plan.

Apr 17, 2015, 1:59 PM

That's only true if we wouldn't have otherwise offered the kid. We're also missing the point that these are kids the staff knows more about. They know whether they're going to work hard in matt drills, in the film room, or if they're going to perform academically. There could be diamond in the rough type kids that are VPI legacies, we just aren't close enough to them to make these kinds of evaluations.

That's exactly what I stated from day 1 of these posts....+1***

Apr 20, 2015, 3:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Greyshirting legacy recruits ]

The Davis Twins graduated a year early

Apr 15, 2015, 8:12 PM

They were only 16 when finishing high school. Having 3 or 4 players out of 85 scholarship players isn't going to hurt your team. You also have to have roll players in every program.

Re: The Davis Twins graduated a year early

Apr 15, 2015, 8:44 PM

Things like this will always have hundreds of different opinions, and that's exactly what they are, different opinions!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Greyshirts just means

Apr 17, 2015, 1:33 PM

You back up kids that are further behind in their development , giving them SIX Springsto grow , mature ,get coached up and BULK up.

Looks like Dabo is building a team with

4/5 stars that will start freshman year and be around 3-4 years

2/4 stars players that will RS and be here 3-4 years

3 stars that will RS and be here 4-5 years

And now it looks like 2-3 stars that will Greyshirt,the RS and be around 5-6 years.

Coach has a plan.

Seems like a good way to keep those grey parents here....***

Apr 20, 2015, 3:33 AM

null

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic