Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Greater Atlanta & Georgia Tech. Recruiting.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 3,013

Greater Atlanta & Georgia Tech. Recruiting.

May 2, 2019, 9:16 PM

Clemson is perfect for a kid from greater Atlanta. It's right down the road and far enough so mom and dad can't just pop in. Close enough for them to come see you play home games. The Tigers have really done well around greater Atlanta.

Just wondering out loud if you will; how a modern offense; fairly successful GT team "could potentially" sniper a few recruits from Clemson or UGA. U of suck wouldn't get what we pick over and have to battle it out with Georgia Southern, Georgia State and Furman. Maybe Wofford and Coastal too.

As much as we recruit that area; anyone that "really keeps a good eye on recruiting" concerned a good GT team could start getting some of those players that otherwise would have been between UGA and Clemson? Probably just me!

My thought is: "it's right at home"! It's a P5 team! GT does have some BCS recent history and a somewhat recent NC(90).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Greater Atlanta & Georgia Tech. Recruiting.

May 2, 2019, 9:27 PM

I live in Atlanta. Coach Collinsnis really trying to get home recruits to stay. He has started the 404 tag line pushing GT as the “home” school. He’s already picked up a few 4 stars from the metro. That being said, GT is tough. Not easy getting kids in unless they are qualified academically. He will run rings around Paul Johnson with little effort. I think he makes them competitive.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Georgia Tech’s issue isn’t academic requirements, it’s athlete-friendly majors.

May 2, 2019, 9:48 PM

They only have a few non-science/engineering degree programs. That’s a problem when you’re recruiting top athletes who don’t want a degree program to interfere with their sport.

There is a reason why Duke’s sociology major only requires 90 credit hours to graduate. Not surprisingly, it’s very popular among Duke student-athletes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

As long as he doesn't look like he has locked up

May 2, 2019, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Greater Atlanta & Georgia Tech. Recruiting. ]

intestinal gas all the time, he will be an improvement over Pawl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

collins is a good coach and better recruiter

May 2, 2019, 9:41 PM

He will get some kids no doubt. He is not known as the most ethical coach in America but then again, Kirby is not exactly a choir boy.

It could help us in the sense UGA has always gotten most of who they want from GA, with a few notable exceptions. If GT can make kids think something other than UGA early enough, it may open their recruiting to more schools, like the Clemson Tigers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2019, 9:58 PM

Clemson has much better facilities, fan support, coaches, culture, etc. As far as the school, Clemson has more majors and obviously more and prettier girls.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2019, 11:02 PM

Yes GT is now a threat to take SOME kids that UGA and/or Clemson are targeting. If we keep crushing them every year it will help our sales pitch.

May 3, 2019, 8:21 AM

At the moment, it probably hurts South Carolina more than it hurts us. There were a lot of kids in that mid-tier 3-star range who are quality D1 players but are a notch below what the likes of Clemson and UGA go after that South Carolina could pluck pretty much at will from Atlanta because the Bees simply weren't troubling themselves to recruit them. That pipeline is about to get drastically reduced.

I don't think the Bees are going to be any particular threat for the top guys, especially when they take it on the chin like they're going to this year. Converting yourself off the option is tough...and it's likely going to be savagely ugly. Nothing translates. Your backs are either going to be stodgy or unexplosive B-backs who can run the fullback dive and nothing else, or A-backs...meaning RB/WR tweeners who are in no way accustomed or really built for a downhill running scheme. Your wideouts will have caught maybe twenty passes a year max, almost all of the win-a-jump-ball-against-1-on-1's variety. Your OL is likely to be five squatty guards all the way across who are really good mostly at diving at opposing DL's knees...and oh, yeah, your QB has likely never made a read or gone through a passing progression in his life and is likely a far better athlete than actual QB anyhow.

I think it's going to be a real tough next 2-3 years for the Bees, and they're going to struggle to separate (or maybe even catch back up to) the likes of Wake or Duke.

Replies: 7
| visibility 3,013
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic