Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Grandfathers, name ONE cool thing they did...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Grandfathers, name ONE cool thing they did...

Dec 15, 2020, 8:37 AM

Was just thinking last night about mine, lost him back in 1988. Big bruising guy, mayor several times, but man we were close.
He kept his drivers license locked in the glove box of his car.
Only carried one thing, a wad of cash held by a rubber band.
The way he could manipulate that rubber band and flip out the bills was mesmerizing to a young kid.
That was his wallet, a rubber band, and it was cool as #$*!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He would flip his satellite dish to Iranian pwerno to

Dec 15, 2020, 8:42 AM

make grandma have a conniption fit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Grandfathers, name ONE cool thing they did...

Dec 15, 2020, 8:54 AM

When me and my brothers were kids, Pop would put us in a repurposed old go kart attached like an implement to the back of a 1949 Farmall Cub and tow us through town to McDonalds.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL. I can picture that. A fun day.***

Dec 15, 2020, 10:28 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 9:03 AM

My Mom's dad fought in WWII and ran the first nuclear power plant in US history. He also worked for JPL and sent a lot of spacecraft into space. The list goes on and on with him. My fathers father was a drunk. He had odd jobs such as a bowling pin setter. He liked to fish and just hang around town. My grandma paid for most things with her beauty salon which was built onto their house. Both grandfathers were extremely loving and nice. I miss them both.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's a lot of truth revealed in the fact that you loved

Dec 15, 2020, 10:30 AM

two seemingly opposite men. Too much to talk about here, I guess, but it's a lot, I think. Cool story.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 9:14 AM

My granddads where the "kids where to been seen not heard" type. I was near very close to either of them. I can't wait to be a granddad so I can be the exact opposite.

My maternal grandma, we called you Mimi, was great. Very loving and always wanted to know what the grandkids were up too. Miss her greatly.

Dec 15, 2020, 9:21 AM

I. was blessed with two wonderful grandfathers. One nurtured me spiritually while the other one drilled into me respect and manners. I would fish with both of them. Great memories. Each had their strength and showed their love to me. I list one in 1965 when I was twelve and the other one in 1977. Truly blessed......

Never knew my Dad's Dad but my Mom's Dad took me to

Dec 15, 2020, 9:23 AM

every Clemson home game from the time I was 3 years old until I was a Freshman at Clemson. I would then meet him in Lot 6 and pour him some Jim Beam in his coke, even though my Grandma hated drinking. Nana never got mad at me for that, at least that I could tell, she was a saint and so was Poppy. I am FOREVER in debt to them for their influence on my life. Two of my absolute favorite people in this world. Now that they are gone, their legend grows in my head and in the stories I tell my kids. The knew Nana but not Poppy, he was gone just before we had kids.

He would have loved little Tigers, Nana did.

Fuck, yall got me all in my feelings at 9:15 in the morning.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My grandad(the one that was alive) never drove a car

Dec 15, 2020, 9:35 AM

Never had a license. Was enrolled at Clemson, but left to fight in WW1.
Came home after the war and farmed 13 acres north of Gaffney. I would visit in summer. Granny drove to the grocery store and church but seldom other places. Pop would walk to town (5 miles) to get chewing tobacco and maybe stop for a beer. I would walk with him or ride my bike.
Memories....

coolest thing I ever saw my grandpop do

Dec 15, 2020, 9:37 AM

was accidently step on a rattlesnake while we were in the woods hunting. He somehow coolly kept his boot down on the snake (I would have set all kinds of high jump/long jump records), pulled out his side pistol, and blew the snake's head off.

He also gave me my first horse, which was mega-cool.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was not able to know either of my grandfathers

Dec 15, 2020, 9:42 AM

and now I has a sad ??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

But I can name some cool things they did

Dec 15, 2020, 9:57 AM

My paternal grandfather was a hard working man that made his living off of the land. Was a farmer in Wilson, AR and then Brandon, MS. He and his twin brother were the youngest of a family of 12 children. From some of the stories that I have heard, sounds like he was a bit of a character which would explain where my father got his sense of humor.

My maternal grandfather was a well educated man and was a nuclear physicist. Did research at several of the National labs, worked at Savannah River Site for a bit when my mom was a child, went to Oak Ridge, and then became a college professor. Started the nuclear engineering department at Mississippi State University and eventually became president of what was then Georgia College in Milledgeville, GA. He and his brothers all had a certain absent-minded professor quality to them. Eventually the nuclear research took its toll on him and he passed away from leukemia.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

My dad’s dad was killed in a shootout with some

Dec 15, 2020, 9:51 AM

Hobos that tried to rob his store. He got 2 of them but the third one got him. my mom’s dad died in a mill accident within a week of when my dad’s dad died.

10 years before my mom and dad met.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Every Saturday morning he’d come by and take me and my

Dec 15, 2020, 9:54 AM

siblings for a ride around the neighborhood in the bed of his truck. One Saturday he brought their Pontiac instead. We were all super disappointed.

So, he loaded us up in the trunk and drove us around like kidnapping victims.

Never met my paternal grandfather...

Dec 15, 2020, 9:57 AM

But my maternal grandfather was a huge South Carolina fan until they fired Frank Maguire. When I was little my dad would go out after my grandfather had gone to sleep and put a Clemson bumper sticker on his car. Every single time we would wake up the next morning at the bumper sticker would be hanging from a string in the garage.

When we eventually started going to Clemson game on the regular my granddad got tickets as well since he was no longer a South Carolina fan. We used to tailgate with a family that lived near us in Columbia. The father had been an offensive lineman and was a very large imposing person. His two children were between my brother and I in age, and they would both pick on my brother whenever no one was looking.

I got tired of it and stepped in to stop it one trip and they went and cried to their father who came storming at me like he was going to whip my ###. My grandfather cut him off halfway to me and stepped in front of him and stopped him cold. my grandfather was not a small man but this other guy was probably 100 pounds bigger than him. We never had a problem again.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you don't have at least one incident like that, you're

Dec 15, 2020, 10:36 AM

not really tailgating. I loved picturing that scene of your grandad stepping in. "Homer, you don't want to do that."

Good for you for taking the stand.

Mom's dad was an artist with a fly rod. He owned a

Dec 15, 2020, 10:27 AM

very small grocery store - the kind with wood floors and candy counters - in Douglas, Ga, a middlanowhere town in a middlanowhere county in S Georgia. In the few times we would make that drive he would always take me fishing in the tiniest little row boat you ever saw. He would sit me in the back with a cane pole and bobber to keep me occupied and say, "Stay very still. If you don't move you'll be fine, but if you move we'll have to cut a hook out of your head. He would then get out his fly rig, and sit in the front of that boat, back to me, and whip that line all over the place. The fly would snap past my right ear, then my left, seemingly inches away. He never hit me. I have sat for many minutes, dead still, with a fish on my line, afraid to say or do anything. He would finally catch one and I would say, "I have one too."

Never made any money, but super competent. Their little house was built way before I was born, but people in the store still talked about him an sheetrock. Apparently he was the first to use it, everyone using plaster until then. Apparently people walked from all over town to see it. There was a rabid raccoon in the block one time when I was there, and he did a real life Atticus Finch: went into the attic and got a 22 I didn't know he had, walked to the corner of the street and hit it with one shot from from halfway down to the other corner. Went back upstairs and put the gun back in the attic. I never saw it again. He was like that.

Dad's dad was just a stoic "pillar of the community", completely colorless, more mirage than human. A lot of people showed up for the funeral - no one dared to be seen to miss it - and no one said a word, they paid their respects, and he was forgotten by the time they started their cars. You can almost wonder if he ever existed.

But those Saturdays in the boat. You didn't know exactly what you had just seen, but you knew it was something.

Mine was a farmer. He always told me that all the cows were

Dec 15, 2020, 11:13 AM

his but I could have the calves when I grew up (if the were still a calf).

Miss that dude.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Mine was a Mule Skinner

Dec 15, 2020, 11:21 AM

I would sit on the skid as we raked the garden and as he sang, the Mules would move. He would sing to them and they would go left, right, any way he told them. Memory that I will never ever forget.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh and I think this warrants a second thing.....

Dec 15, 2020, 11:25 AM

he took Frank Howard and several of his recruiting staff rabbit hunting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shot a state record sized grizzly bear, it's now fully

Dec 15, 2020, 11:24 AM

taxidermied in his game room, huge motherfucker.

He also has maybe three full gun safes, taught me how to shoot and hunt, and is a great man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Believed the moon landing was shot on a Hollywood

Dec 15, 2020, 11:27 AM

set.

If the old man was still around, he'd probably be a Qanon fan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 11:40 AM

Lost my mother's father when I was 2. Never knew him.
My other Grandpa would come over to the house on Sat.
morning to have breakfast with us. He called me Squirt
and my sister Gap (he said there wasn't a generation Gap
between them).

He would take,on a rotating basis, me or my sister out for the
morning on Sat. It didn't matter what we wanted to do, he was all in for it.
All he would say was "What are we doing today Squirt". It didn't
matter what I wanted to do. The next words after I told him were
"Ok boy get in the car". I have so many wonderful memories
of him. He taught me alot.

The Armory in Clemson used to be named after my maternal GF

Dec 15, 2020, 11:47 AM

He was in the Army Air Corps and was a german POW in WW2. He was Ag Engineering professor at Clemson and 'worked on' the dyke between DV and Hartwell, not sure to what extent. Supposedly was Mayor of Clemson at one point but I've never been able to confirm this. He died long before I was born.

After he died my Grandmother remarried another old school Clemson guy who was class of '32 and who's father was class of 1896. My step grandfather was a huge Danny Ford fan and lived long enough to see the championship in 1981. He had a few cows and a truck with a bumper sticker that said 'do not tailgate, driver chews tobacco'. Once called my brother a 'jacakass' because he was.

I'll never forget

Dec 15, 2020, 11:52 AM

Pawpaw stopping in the middle of the highway and making me get out of the car and run 10 laps if I didn't have my seatbelt on.

That, and NO FOOD was allowed anywhere but the kitchen. Pets neither.

Me and my brother were playing one time and I slid on the carpet and my knee punched through the thin closet door at the end of the hall. As of November 2020, that hole is still there. Mawmaw, before she passed, said he liked to keep it around because it reminded us of when the kids came around more :(

There are several that are hard to explain. My granddad was

Dec 15, 2020, 2:48 PM

a gifted carpenter. But the best thing was the way he could keep my dad straight. After my granddad passed in 91-92, my dad was uncontrollable with his addiction which eventually led to his death almost two years ago. To me, my dad died ten or more years ago. My mom tried to keep him straight. I do miss both, especially my dad when he was straight.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic