Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Good ol boy from Hamlet, NC is the greatest saxophone player of all time
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Good ol boy from Hamlet, NC is the greatest saxophone player of all time

Feb 11, 2021, 1:35 AM

A young apricot las from Connecticut once looked at me and sa
https://youtu.be/lHUapMTgWD0

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good ol boy from Hamlet, NC is the greatest saxophone player of all time

Feb 11, 2021, 1:40 AM

Accidentally posted on the wrong board. Either way JC is still a bad ####.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2021, 8:14 PM

And Dizzy Gillespie from little ole Cheraw SC. Giants of music.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2021, 7:45 AM

Two towns only 20 minutes apart.

But can he play Yakkity Sax like Boots Randolph

Feb 11, 2021, 3:44 AM

Did. The song that made Benny Hill?? ??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would consider him the greatest jazz musician of all time***

Feb 11, 2021, 7:10 AM

Feb 11, 2021, 7:34 AM

As a former professional tenor saxophonist, I have an opinion on this:

John Coltrane is technically very good, but he had the misfortune of joining the modern jazz craze of the '50s and '60s, which attempted to pass off psychedelic noise as music - therefore I don't think much of him as a musician.

If you want to hear good saxophone talent, try:

Sil Austin
King Curtis
Stan Getz

But if you only like jazz, try:

Paul Desmond

There are probably 25 more I'd put ahead of Coltrane on my list.

My interest in becoming a professional musician was born in the Clemson dining hall at the 1962 Freshman Dance, when I was invited on-stage to join King Curtis as his band backed up the Shirelles. I was on the dance committee and he heard I played sax with the Jungaleers and the Caravelles. King Curtis was very gracious to allow me to sit in for the entire show and I learned more about playing saxophone that night than any other time I can remember.

I'll give you a treat with one saxophonist almost never mentioned, but to me, one of the greats..... Ben Webster - who played with Duke Ellington and Count Basie:

https://youtu.be/D0JtJ9i1kPo

Feb 11, 2021, 9:56 AM

I was there for Rat Hop

I would say that everyone has different tastes, and there is

Feb 11, 2021, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Good ol boy from Hamlet, NC is the greatest saxophone player of all time ]

no right or wrong. I love Coltrane and his "psychedelic noise". Also love the others you mentioned, especially Getz. I think Miles Davis, John Coltrane and many others pushed the envelope in that era, and it's not everyone's cup of tea. But I love it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Feb 11, 2021, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Good ol boy from Hamlet, NC is the greatest saxophone player of all time ]

Respectfully, that’s a pretty narrow view of jazz. Describing Coltrane as psychedelic noise when most jazz scholars would place him on the Jazz Mount Rushmore is awfully dismissive. Ascension, one of his most “out there” albums is now almost universally viewed as an one of the most essential recordings of the genre. If you’re speaking purely from a technical standpoint perhaps his style wasn’t the most demanding. But then I cannot understand the omission of Charlie Parker. All the saxophonists you mention were great saxophonists but none have the legacy today of Coltrane or Parker who are the two most important voices in the history of the instrument.

Btw - Ben Webster is great and you might be surprised how much his stature has grown. Music for Loving is on the Penguin Guide to Jazz Core Collection list and his albums are being constantly reissued on vinyl.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Feb 11, 2021, 12:27 PM

Charlie Parker was very good. I didn't try to list every saxophonist I liked.

The term "jazz" covers many styles of music over 100 years of improvisation styles. If it seems that I have a limited or narrow view of jazz, that's not true when applied to original jazz, but is somewhat true when it comes to what was called "modern jazz".

To my "narrow view", modern jazz was pushed onto folks who thought they were audiophiles and experts on music and the interpretation of "style" and they all sat around smoking pot (as did the musicians) listening to the noise while saying things like "cool", "groovy" and "smooth" and at the same time listening to music writers talking about technical things they didn't understand, but sounded good by writing it on album jackets and having DJs repeat it on the radio. The buyers of the record albums seemed to me to be following some pied piper for fear of being found out as "uncool" and not "in the know".

Yes, that's a narrow view of a narrow slice of musical style, but it's my view based on many years of classical piano, dance band orchestra and R&B saxophone. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

My appreciation of musical talent is based on making the most expressive statement with the fewest notes within a melodic structure - not trying to get 100 notes into one measure of music without ever providing a hint of melodic chord progression/structure.

Feb 11, 2021, 12:51 PM

Funny that you dismiss an entire subculture of jazz because they were “smoking pot” when it is widely known that the majority of jazz legends from the 20s to 60s were regularly doing heroin.

Maybe a purist like you considers that a better substance for the creativity of the genre.

Your first post was very informative. Your followup was quite judgmental and myopic.

Feb 11, 2021, 4:22 PM

Sorry for the delay in reply, but my second Covid-19 shot took over 3 hours of waiting in line.

Myopic? I think that's a personal opinion and taste in music. Everyone's entitled to that - it's what makes a horse race.

Judgmental? Yes, but doesn't suggesting that my opinion is judgmental put yours in the same category?

Judgmental comes from judgement, so I'll give you an idea of how judgmental I really am. The band I played in professionally in the late '60s was very good, with some excellent musicians. Unfortunately, one day I realized that they were beginning to get heavily into weed and pills. I wanted nothing to do with that lifestyle and walked away from not only the band, but from music as a profession. About 15 years later I was walking down 5th Avenue in Manhattan late one cold winter's night and passed a saxophone player standing on the sidewalk with his case open at his feet and people were walking by and dropping loose change into the case. His talent caused me to stop and listen for a few minutes and I realized how good he really was. I asked him to play a song for me and he did - and played it better than I had ever heard. I was absolutely stunned that anyone with that much talent was playing on the street for dimes and quarters. I knew he had a story, so I asked him who he had played with and he told me "Isaac Hayes". I asked what happened and he just said "The drugs, man.... the drugs". I had about $200 in my pocket and I dropped it all in his case, thanked him and walked away, thinking..... "There but for the grace of God go I".

Sometimes, "judgmental" really is a derivative of "judgement" and a good thing - not always bad.

For listening pleasure, here's "Memphis Soul Stew" from the fellow who taught me how to really play a tenor saxophone..... King Curtis..... died too soon in 1971, stabbed to death at the age of 36:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QISOupYqTi4

How About Herman Riley?

Feb 11, 2021, 4:33 PM

Another one from Count Basie's band - outstanding jazz/soul/R&B talent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wHHkrcr0eI

good lord, dude...so anyone whose musical tastes don't perfectly

Feb 11, 2021, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Good ol boy from Hamlet, NC is the greatest saxophone player of all time ]

align with yours... well, they were just simple-minded rubes who were brainwashed by cunning DJs who took advantage of their drug-induced state of mind. Wow, that's rich my friend. Yeah, I'm done here. No offense, but that's nucking futs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: good lord, dude...so anyone whose musical tastes don't perfectly

Feb 11, 2021, 5:55 PM

Yeah.... pretty much.

So, I guess I know where you stand on Ornette Coleman***

Feb 11, 2021, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Good ol boy from Hamlet, NC is the greatest saxophone player of all time ]

LOL, right? The Shape of Jazz to Come isn’t likely on his favorites list.***

Feb 11, 2021, 7:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Absolutely right! Here's another one not often mentioned

Feb 12, 2021, 7:26 AM [ in reply to So, I guess I know where you stand on Ornette Coleman*** ]

Red Prysock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKDfWRulhtY

And since he hasn't been mentioned yet

Feb 12, 2021, 7:39 AM

Coleman Hawkins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKDfWRulhtY

Re: And since he hasn't been mentioned yet

Feb 12, 2021, 8:53 AM

Sorry - here's the correct link to Coleman Hawkins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvHznWRIbAM

Feb 12, 2021, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Good ol boy from Hamlet, NC is the greatest saxophone player of all time ]

Love that!! Thanks

My vote would go to Earl Bostic***

Feb 11, 2021, 8:22 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My vote would go to Earl Bostic***

Feb 11, 2021, 10:36 AM

Earl is one of the great lesser known saxophonists. I’ve never heard a bad Bostic record and his music is fun. He lacks the big “important” record. His biggest legacy was as an influence on Coltrane. But TU for knowing him.

142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Re: My vote would go to Earl Bostic***

Feb 11, 2021, 12:44 PM [ in reply to My vote would go to Earl Bostic*** ]

https://youtu.be/Qqd6I8nmsU0

Harry Bosch says its Coltrane. Good enough for me.

Feb 11, 2021, 6:28 PM [ in reply to My vote would go to Earl Bostic*** ]

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Harry Bosch says its Coltrane. Good enough for me.

Feb 11, 2021, 6:55 PM

Hieronymus may know a little bit about art but very little about the saxophone.

Feb 11, 2021, 8:11 PM

It’s a Harry Bosch the detective reference. Amazon Prime TV series and Michael Connelly novels.

Feb 11, 2021, 8:27 PM

Yes, I know, I’ve read the novels. In the novels, “Harry” is the namesake of the Dutch artist. I was attempting to be humorous.

Feb 11, 2021, 8:31 PM

Sorry, thought it was obscure enough you might not have known. Bosch books have been my go to summer reading for a long time. If you haven’t watched it, the show is quite good.

Feb 11, 2021, 8:39 PM

I haven’t seen the show, but I’ve read most, if not all, of the novels.

Feb 11, 2021, 10:05 AM

He was an enormous influence on Duane Allman and the Allman Brothers Band.

Re: You're all leaving out Kenny G

Feb 11, 2021, 10:21 AM

Thankfully. Cant stand him

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And don't forget about Dizzy Gillespie from Cheraw!***

Feb 11, 2021, 10:34 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic