Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Furman Football Schedule Released
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Furman Football Schedule Released

Oct 21, 2020, 10:30 PM

I would love to see Clemson - Furman for a Spring game option. It would be a good opportunity for Clemson at that point to hit guys in different color jerseys. It could be good exposure and possible revenue for Furman football.

https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2020/10/21/southern-conference-releases-football-schedule.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2zJMmr_28Gh7IuWkwBrbq_e_3qHbnpingA7kQMPkhQ0VOBPQnvyvZs2Ho

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- The Southern Conference today released its football schedule for the 2020 season, which will officially get underway in February of 2021.

Furman is scheduled to play three of its first four games at home, kicking off the season on Feb. 20 against Western Carolina at Paladin Stadium and, following an open date, playing host to Samford on Mar. 6.

The Paladins kick off their road schedule on Mar. 13 at East Tennessee State before returning home to face Chattanooga on Mar. 20.

Road contests at VMI (Mar. 27) and Mercer (Apr. 3) will be followed by a the regular season finale at home against Wofford on Apr. 17.

The 16-team Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) playoffs are slated to get underway on Apr. 24.

The eight-game, conference-only schedule will apply to seven of the nine league schools, except Furman and The Citadel, which are scheduled to play seven games.

After electing to play four games this fall, The Citadel was permitted to schedule only seven contests in the spring to remain within the NCAA's 11-game regular season maximum. The SoCon Council of Presidents approved a plan for the Bulldogs to compete in seven league games with one no-contest against a randomly selected league opponent. Furman was selected as that opponent in a blind draw. The no-contest is a game not played and will be considered a forfeit (win for Furman) in the conference standings only, per NCAA policies.

Furman has the option to fill its schedule vacancy to give it the permitted eight-game regular season.

The Southern Conference announced on Aug. 13 the cancellation of fall league play due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and four days later Furman canceled all fall competition.

Furman posted an 8-5 overall record and finished second in the SoCon a year ago with a 6-2 league mark. The Paladins earned an at-large bid to the FCS playoffs in 2019 — their second in the past three years under head coach Clay Hendrix, who is in his fourth season as mentor of the Paladin program.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Paladins get forfeit Win over The Citadel = stroke of luck

Oct 21, 2020, 11:20 PM

The Citadel's decision to play 4 games this fall is biting them in the butt. I hate it for them and hate that Palmetto State football fans will miss seeing Furman and The Citadel getting to play.
That non game plus Clemson and Scar not playing are a real shame.

I hope Furman does well with the Spring season even with the free win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Furman Football Schedule Released

Oct 22, 2020, 6:30 AM

That’s not a bad idea, although I wouldn’t think Dabo would want to give up the ability to use the Spring Game for max participation for the team. Not sure how it would be a $$ maker.

Glad the SoCon is getting to play. As a TR native, Furman has always been my ‘hometown’ team.

GO Paladins!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Oct 22, 2020, 8:29 AM

So why could they not play this Fall but now it seems wise to start a season at the peak of flu season? Is this more "science" being followed?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2020, 8:36 AM

I think it was David Pollok who said it but he made a good point about FCS and on down football. He said why not permanently move the fcs games to the spring? It gives the fans football to watch and it would give more national attention to these guys at the lower levels. I mean I know I would watch it over bowling or some other sport they try to fill the time with on espn on saturdays. What say you?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2020, 9:23 AM

It makes total sense to move it to the Spring. Their TV ratings, ticket sales and exposure would be enhanced drastically. Personally, I could attend more Citadel games because CU games trump those 99% of the time. Let's get this done!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic