Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
From high school straight to the pros in football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

From high school straight to the pros in football

Jun 16, 2020, 3:57 PM

Have you ever seen a player that you thought could pull that off?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: From high school straight to the pros in football

Jun 16, 2020, 4:01 PM

Herschel Walker

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure there are a few others, but...

Jun 16, 2020, 4:18 PM

the one who immediately comes to mind is Pro Bowler Otis Sistrunk who played for the Oakland Raiders.
After high school, he spent a couple of year in the USMC before playing in the NFL. Since he didn't attend college, he use to say he attended the University of Mars.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I'm sure there are a few others, but...

Jun 16, 2020, 8:08 PM

think it was dandy don or howard cosell on a monday night game who remarked about otis' educational experience.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 16, 2020, 4:34 PM

Wasn't it said that TL was NFL ready out of HS?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 5:02 PM

Jameis Winston, he seems to get worse every year so probably would have had his best season straight out of high school.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 5:03 PM

The Fridge.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He led the league in passing last year Einstein***

Jun 16, 2020, 5:10 PM [ in reply to Re: From high school straight to the pros in football ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He led the league in passing last year Einstein***

Jun 17, 2020, 7:15 AM

G ATT COMP PCT YDS AVG LNG TD INT

16 626 380 60.7 5109 8.2 71 33 30

30 interceptions with 14 lost fumbles too. Now you know why he's a backup at NOLA

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Leading the league in passing is hardly a regression, going

Jun 19, 2020, 1:23 AM

to NO was a great move by him, if he earns Sean's praises, teams will be lined up and he will be able to pick his next starting job at the end of the season...He's ten times the QB Teddy Two-Gloves is and it worked for him, it will work out for Winston...If he can stay out of jail

Jun 17, 2020, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Re: From high school straight to the pros in football ]

Good one. Hehe.

But, on the other hand, if he had been under the mentoring of a coach who understood developing character and discipline was part of coaching....

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 5:03 PM

The NFL should at least give them the option so that the media will stop hounding college football about paying players. The NFL is getting a free development league in college football is getting all the grief.

Jun 17, 2020, 8:35 AM

atxtiger said:

The NFL should at least give them the option so that the media will stop hounding college football about paying players. The NFL is getting a free development league in college football is getting all the grief.

Its not the NFLs responsibility to make sure the NCAA isn't roasted. These things are also collectively bargained with the player's association so that can't just "make it so". There is no incentive for the NFL players or the NFL Owners to allow kids in straight out of high school.

Sammy Watkins - he was a 1st team.....

Jun 16, 2020, 5:18 PM

All-American his freshman season - very possibly could have gone to the NFL out of high school.

Jun 16, 2020, 6:53 PM

Maybe an occasional RB or WR but that's about it. The NFL is so much more complex than HS football that anyone jumping straight to the pros would have no idea what was going on most of the time. At least a WR or RB would be able to just hit the hole or run a standard route tree route even if they weren't able to do much else. And that's all assuming you're talking about one of the literally maybe two or three kids a year who could handle it physically. If HSers ever went straight to the NFL it would be to watch from the sidelines the vast majority of the time.

I think Sammy could have done it. I also think Deshaun could

Jun 16, 2020, 7:08 PM

have done it mentally, but physically he was not quite ready yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 7:26 PM

Obed, and most top punters and place kickers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jun 17, 2020, 7:44 AM

If so, pretty sure they would do nothing but ride the bench first year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2020, 9:35 AM

Marcus Dupree without a doubt. Check out his old tapes in USFL and high school on YouTube

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2020, 10:46 AM

Bryan Bresee

Jun 17, 2020, 1:06 PM

Good names mentioned so far!

Adrian Peterson is another workhorse that probably could have made that leap.

Personally, the way sports are operating nowadays kids are more "physically" ready than ever for college level when they hit campus.

I agree with others though that even with the physical traits, the mental hurdles would keep talent on the sidelines for years to get up to speed.

I don't think the NFL ever lifts the 3-year post-high school period in its current state - maybe they modify it for the SUPER 2nd year players that are obviously ready to jump? But what would the metrics look like for that?

I do think something like the XFL or another semi-pro start-up MAY develop down the line as an NFL pipeline but who knows.

Overall, I wouldn't mind something like how college baseball is set up where you either go play for a farm/minor league team if drafted or go to college for 3 years.

Jun 18, 2020, 8:29 AM

Locally speaking, I think Clowney and Lattimore could have made the jump and Ben productive. I think Dexter Lawrence and Sammy could have too. Sammy had to put on good weight while here, but he was instant impact.

I don’t think they would have an impact, but body-wise, Da’Quan and XT would have been considered based on where they were out of high school. I have no clue how the NFL would handle QBs given this hypothetical.

Jun 19, 2020, 11:38 PM

LSU CB Stingley.

Peeps who know NFL drafting said he woudda been taken in first 10 picks in the draft out of high school. Was #1 player national recruit.

His granddad and dad were pros, he was trained from childhood. And regular lessons from another retired NFL DB.

First Team AA as a true Frosh CB, almost never done, especially with the Thorpe winner also in that secondary.

HERSCHEL no doubt, lit it up in his first chance and carried a good team to a NC.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic