Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Freshman Fromm vs Freshman Trevor
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,156

Freshman Fromm vs Freshman Trevor

Oct 3, 2019, 10:02 AM

Remember the narrative going into the NCG last year – how could true freshman TL16 possibly handle a big bad SEC defense like Bama? And how, being a true freshman, the moment would be “too big for him”. We all remember that, right?

Question – in the previous year’s playoff, did anyone say that any moments were going to be too big for true freshman QB Jake Fromm? I don’t recall hearing that. As I did an admittedly quick glance on the topic on the internet, everything I see says the opposite. They constantly talked about how no moments are ever too big for Fromm. Now, I’m not knocking Fromm because I haven’t really studied his game. But the narrative….the media slant on this is very annoying. Or maybe I’m just overlooking and not seeing those ‘other opinions’ that doubted Freshman Fromm in those high stakes games. If so, I’ll course correct and apologize. But until then. I’ll stay annoyed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Freshman Fromm vs Freshman Trevor

Oct 3, 2019, 10:09 AM

But Fromm wasn’t on “THE BIGGEST” stage

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2019, 10:11 AM

Jake Fromm was a sophomore last year

Oct 3, 2019, 10:14 AM

He's referring to two years ago in the NCG chief

Oct 3, 2019, 10:18 AM

The narrative going in to the NC game last year had little to do with doubt or criticism of TL and more about Bama being promoted as one of the best team in college football history. Going in to that game "the stage" would have been considered too big for about every QB.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2019, 10:28 AM

As it turns out the field to defend was too big for Bama . A true frosh QB absolutely mutilated Nick Saban's defense and his offense was allowed to move between the 20s then was stonewalled and left groping for anything by a team who plays nobody and couldn't possibly negotiate the rigors of the SEC .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 3, 2019, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Freshman Fromm vs Freshman Trevor ]

While it is true about the hype re:Bama last year, a lot of the TL16 "moment too big" verbiage was regarding going up against a 'Nick Saban defense'. If I'm not mistaken, Fromm went up against a Nick Saban defense as well. And held his own, IMHO. So him doing it almost-successfully the previous year should have been a non-starter for TL16. Which kinda reinforces my point. Fromm did it with minimal doubts from a biased media; why doubt TL16 the following year if another guy just did it the previous year? Unless it fits your narrative. And the greatest ever had more to do with Bama's rebuilt offense - not really anything they were doing extraordinary on defense.

Just my perceptions on the topic.

Oct 3, 2019, 10:56 AM

I believe there were a few reasons for the differences in the narrative.

The first is that nobody expected Fromm to have to do much because they were/are such a run-heavy offense.

The media knew Fromm would be protected by Kirby and would be given easy plays to make.

The other reason and I think main reason the media jumped on the "moment is too big" idea last year is because they were hoping Trevor would fall apart because they couldn't figure out a football reason to so decidedly pick Bama to win.

Everyone was so sure Bama would win before they analyzed the matchups.

Then when they started to look at things, they had to pretend that they knew Trevor wouldn't perform well or they wouldn't have had anything to back up their reasoning of the easy Bama victory.

People will say anything to prove themselves right.

Oct 3, 2019, 11:16 AM

That's the pount though isn't it ? Nick Saban defenses are stout up front and generally if not always stop the run first .
Then why wouldn't Fromm have been even more scrutinized and doubted as a true Frosh QB on that same stage , by the media " experts " ? He'd have to win it with the passing game or at least keep the Tide defense guessing right ?
I'll say this , he had a decent game and were it not for Tua's heroics he was probably the best player on that field that night in a loss .
Fromm can play , he's not Trevor Lawrence good but he is a decent QB with a probably NFL future .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 3, 2019, 11:22 AM

I agree that Fromm played very well in that game.

I think the narrative was different though because the idea going in was that UGA would stick to the run no matter the outcome.

It was thought they would either run well or would lose comfortably.

It just occurred to me that also the story line coming in was just UGA having to keep up with a Jalen Hurts offense. Not difficult to do coming off a poor output in the Sugar Bowl against us.

UGA kept up with and outperformed a Hurts offense but the insertion of Tua changed the game.

Trevor was dealing with the accepted idea last year that he would have to keep up with the unstoppable Tua.

It turned out the ideas of Trevor caving and Tua be unstoppable were both wrong.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,156
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic