Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fred Cone and Terry Kinard return for 2021 season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Fred Cone and Terry Kinard return for 2021 season

Jan 18, 2021, 8:01 PM

Don't see why not. They prolly still got game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fred Cone and Terry Kinard return for 2021 season

Jan 18, 2021, 8:12 PM

Btw, if you don't know who these people are, don't dare tell TBalm.

Jan 19, 2021, 11:23 AM

Tell him what?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2021, 8:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyS4UDqAlAs&feature=emb_logo

Jan 18, 2021, 8:14 PM

Sorry, haven't you heard? We return all 11 starters on D. No room for TK. Maybe he can back up TV. Cone, on the other hand, may be able to help us on O. Can he block??

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2021, 8:35 PM

Fred is alive and well in Pickens. Still plays a mean game of golf .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2021, 9:45 PM

Fred Cone is still my Tiger hero. Mr. Dependable!! Anytime you needed a first down and/or TD.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2021, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Fred Cone and Terry Kinard return for 2021 season ]

Fred is alive and well in Pickens. Still plays a mean game of golf .

That's amazing. I met Fred in the late 60's when he was an assistant and was lifting weights at Fike with some football players. The football locker room was in Fike back in those days and I had the run of the building as a 10 year old during the summers (Dad was a minor sports coach). Fred was as strong as an Ox and I can remember him benching the entire weight stack on the old "Universal" machine like it was a warm up. I hadn't thought much about Fred until a couple years ago. I met a buddy of Fred's that was in assisted living at the Clemson Downs. Over dinner he told me the shocking story of Fred's "recruitment" to Clemson. He said he was recommended to Coach Howard by Howard's sister who had hired Fred as a lifeguard at the beach (South Alabama or Panhandle?). When Howard inquired about his high school credentials there were none - the school was too small for a team. So Howard pressed his sister - "how in the world do know he can play at Clemson - he's never played before?" She simply said in all her years of working the lifeguards she had never seen a more athletic individual. Story goes that he arrived on Campus for a workout, walked on the practice field, met Coach Howard, and suited up. They took him down to the goal line with 2 linebackers and tossed him a ball. Said "OK, run this ball into the end zone - you two make sure he doesn't cross." After 2 or 3 runs around, through, or over the two defenders Howard turned to Cone and said "go up to the registration office and tell them I said your on the team." Love to hear Fred's side of that story - don't think he has much of reputation for talking about his past accomplishments at Clemson or in the NFL.

Jan 19, 2021, 9:18 AM

Fred Cone has never left! I met both Mr Cone and his wife a few years ago. He introduced himself as Fred Cone and when I asked him if he was THE Fred Cone, he laughed and said,"what's left of him." I asked Mr Cone where he was from. He said,"Alabama."I asked him where in Alabama and he said I wouldn't have heard of the town. I asked him to try me. He said,"Pineapple, Alabama." I laughed and said, yep in Dallas County near Selma as I had hunted there.

From there our conversation took off. His wife was charming and I noticed she didn't have a southern accent. She told me she was from Green Bay,WI and had met Fred when he played for the Packers.

Great people!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kinard was truly dominant in college. He would even

Jan 19, 2021, 9:25 AM

bait QB's into throwing his direction by intentionally laying off receivers until the ball was thrown. By the time it arrived, so did he. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic