Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those thinking that long td pass to Ross was a bad play,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

For those thinking that long td pass to Ross was a bad play,

Oct 23, 2019, 7:33 AM

Jeff Scott said that the touchdown catch Justyn Ross made is something they practice several times a week in scramble drills. They work a lot in the back of the end zone trying to catch passes just like the one Ross caught on Saturday.

He said Lawrence was not trying to throw the ball away. He threw the ball where he was coached to throw it on that kind of play, and he put it where only his receiver could get it. He said that is how NFL quarterbacks are coached, too. Throw the ball up there in the back of the end zone and make sure only your receiver can get it. He said if Ross would have missed it, the pass would have gone out of the back of the end zone and they would have kicked the field goal.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With 3 defenders, it’s still a 50/50 ball with our receivers***

Oct 23, 2019, 7:35 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And that time, it was 100/0.***

Oct 23, 2019, 7:49 AM

"Well, other than that, Mrs. Lincoln....how was the play?"

Re: With 3 defenders, it’s still a 50/50 ball with our receivers***

Oct 23, 2019, 10:26 AM [ in reply to With 3 defenders, it’s still a 50/50 ball with our receivers*** ]
ross2.jpg(77.5 K)

This is not a 50/50 ball...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2019, 11:23 AM

Really the only other guy that had a shot to catch that if Ross cant is Tee so it’s more like 200/0 ball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2019, 1:05 PM [ in reply to With 3 defenders, it’s still a 50/50 ball with our receivers*** ]

That was a 70/30 ball. 70% Ross catches it 29% nobody does, maybe 1% somebody out jumps Ross and intercepts it! Even with the interceptions we have only given up 21 pts on turnovers 1TD to A&M (Int), 1TD to FSU (ETN fumble), 1TD to Charlotte (Swinney muffed punt). The INTs cost us some points but some great defense has limited the damage. I would like to see them eliminated and I'm sure the coaches would to. But, those plays are not where the problem has been. Can anyone name a true 50/50 high point pass or back shoulder fade that has been intercepted?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was fine with it

Oct 23, 2019, 8:06 AM

FGs are 50/50 for us this year too so our FG attempts are only worth about 1.5 pts on average.

How can any TD pass be bad?

Oct 23, 2019, 8:22 AM

Unless you're a dirtpecker.

Ross called for the ball, TL sent it. TD as planned

Oct 23, 2019, 8:30 AM

ESecPN simply wants the narrative that it was a desperation hail Mary.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ross called for the ball, TL sent it. TD as planned

Oct 23, 2019, 8:33 AM

That fits in with their narrative that we're not a playoff caliber football time. Last time I checked, we're still kicking ### and taking names.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those thinking that long td pass to Ross was a bad play,

Oct 23, 2019, 8:37 AM

BS on the bad play. It was a great pass!

My least favorite part was the announcer saying that Tee is

Oct 23, 2019, 10:16 AM

THE ONE with the basketball skills.

Maybe he should do some light reading, also known as research?
https://www.tigernet.com/update/recruiting/WATCH-Justyn-Ross-wins-all-star-dunk-contest-29647

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Without the previous 2 picks

Oct 23, 2019, 11:03 AM

I doubt they even say anything about this being a bad decision. They would be praising what a great throw and catch it is. Just because you make a couple of bad plays doesn't mean you get all conservative. Like Dabo paraphrased, "I'll go 0/30 before I go 0/12.", "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.", etc.

Oct 23, 2019, 11:18 AM

it's so strange that every time Trevor Lawrence throws the ball away that is a touchdown

Dan Orlovsky was terrible, especially in the first half

Oct 23, 2019, 11:29 AM

He was killing Trevor Lawrence the entire time, then when Trevor made that throw to Justyn Ross he went on and on about how his receiver bailed him out. Literally, the guy who is most famous for this play was criticizing a college sophomore who has yet to lose a game for making poor decisions:

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Dan Orlovsky was terrible, especially in the first half

Oct 23, 2019, 1:10 PM

You nailed him!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2019, 12:18 PM

Yes, Just go back over the last year and a half. How many times has Trevor made that play. when he did it in the NC game the comments were "This Kid cant be 19". He's making the passes only expected by a seasoned NFL QB so the narrative is he cant be that good so it was just luck. Go Tigers

Oct 23, 2019, 12:40 PM

I understand people questioning it, but it is up to Lawrence and the coaching staff to decide if it was a bad decision. If he can repeatedly but that ball in that spot, then it was a good decision. If he can't, then the decision was questionable and he was probably trying to do to much. Trevor is capable of doing things that even most elite QB's can't, and Streeter, Scott, and Elliot probably have a good idea of where that line of doing too much is.

Sitting there in the sun in Louisville.......

Oct 23, 2019, 1:24 PM

....when we got the ball back, I told my wife we were going to try to score. I've heard Dabo say a million times that 'We are made for times like this'. When we got on our side of the scoring side of the 50, I told her Louisville was in trouble.

It was a great pass. It was a great catch. Get the ball with a minute or two left in the half or the game? Clemson is made for times like that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great pass and Great catch - GO TIGERS

Oct 23, 2019, 3:06 PM

A highlight of the game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2019, 3:15 PM

I don't think that play gets questioned at all had it not been for the two picks earlier in the game. I think the logic behind questioning it was that Lawrence could've thrown a pick there as well had he not gotten as much on the ball. He did throw a perfect pass there though that nobody other than Ross was going to be pulling down.

I think it's only compared to the first two picks because it appeared on those passes that he thought he'd be able to get enough on the throws to get past the defender and he ended up not doing so those times. I think it's the thought process of thinking Lawrence is making a few of his mistakes based on being so confident in his arm that he can fit the ball into tight windows where it works sometimes such as the Ross touchdown, but other times it leads to turnovers.

I can understand that thought process to a certain point, with the INT against FSU being an example of him trying to do too much. Those things can easily be corrected though, and I'm not sure he makes those same mistakes in a game against an elite team.

I didn't need that explanation.

Oct 23, 2019, 4:04 PM

I might if I hadn't seen TL throw that completed pass more than three times in the past.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic