Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Food for thought... Should UNC change their nickname
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Food for thought... Should UNC change their nickname

Jun 17, 2020, 10:43 AM

" Tar Heels " since it has some ties to the Civil War and slavery? Let's help our fellow ACC member come up with a new nickname.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Food for thought... Should UNC change their nickname

Jun 17, 2020, 10:47 AM

I've always been partial to Tar Holes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UNC Academics. Because LOL. ***

Jun 17, 2020, 11:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

No because I'm not a liberal hack.

Jun 17, 2020, 10:47 AM

But yes because I hate UNCheat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Jun 17, 2020, 10:51 AM

IDK, just let the methed up NC State boosters pick it.

Go to #3!! Carolina, go to #3!!

Then again, what do you call a placed that had about 18 years of complete academic fraud in order to boost the athletic program?

North Carolina Cigarettes

Jun 17, 2020, 10:56 AM

Still recognizes their history, but no slave reference. Logo is easy, LOL.

While we are at it, South Carolina can change their to Sandlappers, with a flip flop logo.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: North Carolina Cigarettes

Jun 17, 2020, 11:02 AM

Lol, Virginia would likely sue NC for that nickname. Plus, both the Deacs andf Devs are more closely aligned with cancer sticks.

How about the UNC Vapes? Vapors? Kinda like their academic programs and their athletic prowess. Also sums of their morals and mental fortitude.

As for the Sandlappers, that might work for Coastal (since they get their name from the coots), but in the midlands? How about we call the coots "coots". Illiterates?

OK, oreos...nah, that won't work, either

Jun 17, 2020, 11:12 AM

Doughnuts? Pepsi colas?

Re: OK, oreos...nah, that won't work, either

Jun 17, 2020, 11:21 AM

haha!

Well Krispy Kreme was from Winston-Salem, so that would make Wake the Demon Donuts

Chapel Hill would never associate with someone from the "lowly" New Bern area. However, their academic standard would be on par!

Uh, who was picking the tobacco????????***

Jun 17, 2020, 11:06 AM [ in reply to North Carolina Cigarettes ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rich white plantation owners were the ones who would

Jun 17, 2020, 11:26 AM

go out into the tobacco fields and pick the leaves, put them on wooden stakes and hang the leaves upside down in a barn to dry. They found it rewarding to do all of the work themselves.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

So now we are playing "six degrees of slavery"?

Jun 17, 2020, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Uh, who was picking the tobacco????????*** ]

Cigarette--->Tobacco--->Slavery

You could tie anything to slavery that way:
SpaceX--->Elon Musk--->Elon College--->North Carolina--->slave state

Tarheel is a direct, derogatory reference

Re: Uh, who was picking the tobacco????????***

Jun 17, 2020, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Uh, who was picking the tobacco????????*** ]

I was. And it is called cropping not picking. Worked in the fields for years. Then worked as a buyer for a company in NC. Picking tobacco is reserved for the burley tobacco in Virginia, Tenn and Kentucky.

TL;DR***

Jun 17, 2020, 12:49 PM

Jun 17, 2020, 10:58 AM

Well of course they should. I don't like it and that's all it takes these days.

Jun 17, 2020, 11:10 AM

I am proud of the name Tar Heels. My ancestors stuck in battle like the “tar on their heels”. At least that’s what General Jackson said. Don’t touch the name commies!!

Yeah. Unc unicorns sounds good

Jun 17, 2020, 11:12 AM

They love baby blue and pink

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah. Unc unicorns sounds good

Jun 17, 2020, 11:24 AM

You know, remove one horn and we got it. Anyone have some scissors. (UNC students dont have scisssors due to it being a trigger)

Jun 17, 2020, 11:25 AM

Woke Warriors ???

The term "tar heels" MIGHT have to do with The War Between

Jun 17, 2020, 11:29 AM

the States' NC soldiers (or might simply refer to the early sailing tradition of the state), but certainly didn't have anything to do with slavery.

North Carolina didn't wish to secede and didn't secede until Abraham Lincoln declared war on the South by raising an army to invade it (because the South paid most of the federal budget at the time through tariffs).

As a result, the men of The Old North State rose up (as they had done many times before) and fought valiantly to repel the invaders, losing a higher percentage of men than other state (except maybe South Carolina whose records are not complete).

That is, the term "Tar Heels" might simply refer to the fact that North Carolina's men were exceptionally brave in combat, which should be something any red-blooded American man should aspire to.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/no-man-can-take-those-colors-and-live

You may be right; I was just having fun, anyway

Jun 17, 2020, 12:00 PM

But my response was based on information found here:

https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2016/11/tar-heel-meaning-evolved-from-derogatory-to-proud

Re: The term "tar heels" MIGHT have to do with The War Between

Jun 17, 2020, 12:03 PM [ in reply to The term "tar heels" MIGHT have to do with The War Between ]

The story is that Tar Heels was a name of ridicule because many of the boys literally showed up for battle with no shoes and had pine tar on their heels from the eastern NC forests. General Jackson said honored the name Tar Heels after a particularly bloody battle claiming they stick in the fight like the tar on their heels. It then became a proud name. I’m a Tar Heel by birth , “raisin”, and degree. I’m proud to be called Tar Heel and it has nothing to do with athletics.

Degree? So you took some fake classes and they

Jun 17, 2020, 12:12 PM

gave you a degree in return? Congrats.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Degree? So you took some fake classes and they

Jun 17, 2020, 12:32 PM

Whatever you say.

Not as easy as you would think

Jun 17, 2020, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Degree? So you took some fake classes and they ]

no classroom, no book, no teacher

Unless you located a bunch of guys 6'1"- 6"11" and followed them around you could miss it

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2020, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Re: The term "tar heels" MIGHT have to do with The War Between ]

The alternative story I heard put forth was the fighters from NC were so quick to retreat that they had to put tar on their heels to keep them from running from the fight.

Jun 18, 2020, 6:04 AM [ in reply to Re: The term "tar heels" MIGHT have to do with The War Between ]

And you thanked Stonewall by shooting him.

Jun 17, 2020, 12:09 PM

From Billy goats to what???

Pale Blue Hos.

Jun 17, 2020, 12:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2020, 12:50 PM

I'm surprised there hasn't already been an outcry.

If I recall correctly, from way back in my elementary school days (early 60s for those of you interested) I learned that NC got the nickname because a group of outnumbered and outgunned Confederate soldiers were hanging tough in a multi-day battle. One general described them as "standing their ground like they had tar on their heels."

At least that how I recall a story I heard almost 60 years ago.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2020, 2:37 PM

That’s pretty close sir. Some seem to think the “tar” had something to do with the African slaves. Not even remotely true.

Teflon Cheetahs***

Jun 17, 2020, 1:05 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

High Heels?***

Jun 17, 2020, 1:05 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

UNC Academians

Jun 17, 2020, 2:41 PM

Then let the wuffies have at it

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2020, 2:53 PM

UNC Cheetahs

Jun 17, 2020, 11:03 PM

I typically refer to them as the "stupid little goats or sheep or whatever they are."

Jun 18, 2020, 1:22 PM

I’m fairly sure the nickname came from the British during Revolutionary War. Colonial militia were said to have “ fought as if they had tar on the feet”. U know. Held their ground

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic