Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fishing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,863

Fishing

Jul 8, 2018, 8:42 PM

Ole Spud and others have been posting stories about their fishing exploits and instead of making me home sick I suppose I could call it "fish sick". Haven't fished for ages. Can't even remember the list time I put a baited hook in the water but its seems like it was about 142 years ago.

Before coming to Clemson in 1955, I was living in Belle Glade, FL. Belle Glade is located on the southern side of Lake Okeechobee and the lake is a hot fishing spot. On the lower part of the lake were several small islands connected by bridges. That entire area is muck and excellent farming land and the islands were farmed. One of my friends farmed most of the islands and gave me permission to enter his land and fish from the bridges.

When I came home on many afternoons, I would xee people fishing on the canal that ran from the lake through town. Yhat was enough to get me excited. Quite often I kept live bait at he house so it was change my clothes, get my fishing gear and bait and head for the lake or one of the bridges connecting the islands. My bass bait was "shiners", about the three middle fingers in size, hence the name,"three finger bait". Most of the time I preferred the bridge fishing because I didn't have to walk far carrying the bait and gear. My favorite was a long cane pole with a line about one and one-half times the length of the pole. It usually was not a matter if I would catch a fish, but how many.

Most of the bass I caught were in the one to two pound range. With the cane pole and a long line, the fun began when I had one on the hook. Rather than bring it in immediately, I would let it swim around for awhile. I didn't have to worry anbout it getting tangled up in weeds or bridge supports. That old cane pole would bend anbout 90 degrees but I never had a pole that broke. Even a one pound bass can put up a good little fight.

Having bait on hand and just a short ride to my fishing spot was one of the most relaxing experiences of my time in Belle Glade. No pictures, it was not a big dal.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fishing

Jul 8, 2018, 10:46 PM

lol 80% rating. What jackwagon downvotes a fishing post?

Joe, I've started sending your post to my dad. He's enjoyed them quite a bit.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some big time high school football in Belle Glade

Jul 8, 2018, 10:58 PM

I always appreciate it when Dabo and assts catch that football talent and release in Clemson!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2018, 10:59 PM

use to fish as much as I could when I was younger.lived in so. conn. at the time and had access to long island sound,many ponds,lakes,streams and rivers.flounder,trout,bass,panfish,it didn't matter,as long as I was fishing.chose to go to CU partly because of hartwell and the chance to do some bass fishing,but I didn't get out to the lake much,except to party.moved to my current location which is a short distance from the battenkill river and orvis almost 43 years ago thinking fly fishing and trout.unfortunately,life has gotten in the way,and I've spent almost no time drowning worms etc.last summer my 5yr old grandkids stayed with us for a week,and we went to a local lake and fished successfully for some sunnys and bluegills etc.the kids are coming back in a couple of weeks,and we're going to go fishing.just might start the fire going again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 8, 2018, 11:07 PM

I see that you were a Bill Dance type fisherman, let the fish swim around to simulate a big fight.
I have been to Lake Okeechobee four times. Once by my self and three times with a couple of
our sons. On one occasion when my son was a student at Clemson I took him and his friend down for
A week during spring break. They had fun when someone asked what they were going to do that week and
They said “Going to Florida”. “Where” they asked, Lake Okeechobee. Then the question, “ what’s there?”.
Our son answered “ BIG BASS”.Our catch was somewhat larger than yours. We were catching lots of 3-6 pounders.
A wonderful, wonderful vacations.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2018, 8:12 AM

The biggest one I ever caught out of the lake was a little over eight pounds. I caught many others in the 3 to 4 pound range but the majority were in the one to two pound range, the best size for eating. Some of the "shiners" many fishermen used for bait were hand size. They used the large shiners when hoping to land the big boys. I used artificial bait at times but me and the fish seemed to prefer the live bait.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe, I feel the same way about bird hunting. I use to go

Jul 9, 2018, 1:16 AM

every Wednesday after 12 and ALLLLLLLLLL day Saturday. I had setters....Nothing like seeing a dog you trained ru. nning down the edge of a bean field and then all of a sudden, his back end swings around and he locks down on a covey. You try to run up there as fast as you can without busting the covey, but wanting to get there before they take off on their own or you make your dog rush in. You get close and you start saying in a low voice...." Whoa Bandit...whoaaaaaa"....and you step in that covey and they get up all around you. Well sir, if that doesn't float your boat the first time you do it, then find another hobby, because you either have love at first sight or you don't. I never thought I would see the day when I wasn't in a field on Thanksgiving morning, but....I was born about 40 years too late to enjoy the really good bird hunting. I haven't been behind a dog in 30 years....And like you, I get homesick for it if I see a good show where a guy is hunting wild birds. I almost can't stand to watch it. And the shows where they are hunting pen raised birds just doesn't cut a feather for me. If you want to get a feel for what bird hunting was like, read the book,"The best of Havilah Babcock". It will really give you a proper taste of what it was like to be in the field with a good buddy and good dogs...

Message was edited by: Spud®

I miss coaching baseball.

Jul 9, 2018, 7:55 PM

I coached for 10 years while being a student of the game. I read everything in the Pickens and Greenville counties library on fundamentals, coaching methods and sorted through a lot of BS to get a system which made every one of my kids competitive on the field.

They only problem I ever had which I couldn't overcome was the politics of small town baseball leagues. The coaches are always out for their sons and their few friends. Still, when I was on the field with my team it was all about them.

I really miss it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2018, 1:02 PM

Just went fishing this weekend for the first time in a long time. Great post!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2018, 1:46 PM

Joe21® said:

Ole Spud and others have been posting stories about their fishing exploits and instead of making me home sick I suppose I could call it "fish sick". Haven't fished for ages. Can't even remember the list time I put a baited hook in the water but its seems like it was about 142 years ago.

Before coming to Clemson in 1955, I was living in Belle Glade, FL. Belle Glade is located on the southern side of Lake Okeechobee and the lake is a hot fishing spot. On the lower part of the lake were several small islands connected by bridges. That entire area is muck and excellent farming land and the islands were farmed. One of my friends farmed most of the islands and gave me permission to enter his land and fish from the bridges.

When I came home on many afternoons, I would xee people fishing on the canal that ran from the lake through town. Yhat was enough to get me excited. Quite often I kept live bait at he house so it was change my clothes, get my fishing gear and bait and head for the lake or one of the bridges connecting the islands. My bass bait was "shiners", about the three middle fingers in size, hence the name,"three finger bait". Most of the time I preferred the bridge fishing because I didn't have to walk far carrying the bait and gear. My favorite was a long cane pole with a line about one and one-half times the length of the pole. It usually was not a matter if I would catch a fish, but how many.

Most of the bass I caught were in the one to two pound range. With the cane pole and a long line, the fun began when I had one on the hook. Rather than bring it in immediately, I would let it swim around for awhile. I didn't have to worry anbout it getting tangled up in weeds or bridge supports. That old cane pole would bend anbout 90 degrees but I never had a pole that broke. Even a one pound bass can put up a good little fight.

Having bait on hand and just a short ride to my fishing spot was one of the most relaxing experiences of my time in Belle Glade. No pictures, it was not a big dal.

Great read. Anytime there are fishing stories and no sports to talk about you know it's time to break out your best fish story.

Here's mine...

About 6 years ago I landed my biggest bass in an old lake near my house. My father in law and I rented a Jon boat, got my trolling motor and battery and headed out to my favorite spot. Started the day off using artifical baits, worms, crank baits, poppers, spinners and nothing would bite. Came back to the marina around lunch time and took a break and was pondering going back out and trying some new things.

After about an hour of chatting with the bank fishing guys and eating a sandwich we decided to head back out and try to catch some live bait with my cast net and was very successful. Had about 3-4 dozen minnows and other species. Got rigged up with bobber and free swim and things heated up quite fast.

We landed about 6 nice bass ranging from 2-3 pounds for the day but there was no lunker in out boat yet so I released them back to get bigger. We fished and moved about the lake in frantic fashion because it was getting late and a storm was inching towards us, we decided to hit the banks on our way back to the marina. Then it happened!

I threw 3 cast and she found the bait. What I thought was the usual 2-3 pounds turned into a 18" 6 lbs beast of a fish. I was excited I couldn't wait to go back to the marina and get this thing weighed and measured official at the marina.

Then the unthinkable happened.

Got to the marina pulled this monster out of the live well was bragging to the bank guys as they crowded the boat and just like that she flopped around trying to break free from my grasp and she fell right in the water.

To say the least, I felt like someone murdered my dog. And to this day, I don't fish that often, I've never come close to catching another one like her. Maybe one day she will get to 10 lbs and we will once again meet again. I know six isn't big for some of you but it's a tournament winner here in NC.

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,863
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic