Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Final Thought On Clemson Basketball ----
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,220

Final Thought On Clemson Basketball ----

Mar 17, 2016, 10:49 AM

Find A Formula. ..In Clemson Football...we were decently established. As the years went on and since Dabo Swinney took over..he ended up reinventing Clemson again. Reviving the football program and giving the Tigers a true bite to be respected on the national stage.

Brownell needs to take whatever Swinney uses to jump start and sustain a program and apply it to his basketball program. I know the two sports are different but the same similar formulas are being used to create success in other programs.

Take Baylor for instance. I remember when they were the bottom feeders in basketball and in football nearly at the same time every year. Something got poured into both programs as well as their athletic department over the last 10 years.. because now they are a decent respected force in both football and basketball.

Got to get some ideas and tools from Dabo and other areas to put better product on the court. Need to establish a formula that gives Clemson Basketball a better foundation of who we are and where we trying to go. Clemson needs to push it more in basketball then I think we will get to see what we want to see in Clemson's basketball program.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Final Thought On Clemson Basketball ----***

Mar 17, 2016, 10:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

It ain't rocket science, and it can work for basketball just

Mar 17, 2016, 11:29 AM

like it worked for football.

More good football players started coming to Clemson because of a few simple reasons. They liked the coach, and they believed they could win big here.

They liked Dabo, and he was able to sell what Clemson had to offer. He was a guy they wanted to play for. He made them believe.

First, they believed because Clemson football was a big deal; they drew big crowds and had great support.

Second, they believed because they saw the money that was being poured into the program. They saw the shiny new facilities and realized Clemson was competing with the very best.

The same recipe can be repeated for basketball, with a little more difficulty. Do we have a coach who recruits really like, who they want to play for, and who can sell Clemson as a winner? The jury is still out. Clemson can certainly get that kind of coach - without question.

Is basketball a big deal, and do we have the same kind of great fan support? Honestly, no. There have been times we didn't have it so much for football either though. When Hatfield was coach, and recruiting nose-dived and we started losing games we should have won, attendance fell off dramatically. It took the right coach in Tommy Bowden to breathe a little life and enthusiasm back into the program. He had name recognition and could talk a good game, and it got the attention of recruits. Once we started to win, just a little, and improvement was obvious, attendance picked right back up. A fresh start and new direction for the basketball program, coupled with a few key wins, and we'd be on the way. Fan support has been tremendous for Clemson basketball in the past (though it's been a while), and it can be again. It can be a big deal. If we want to compete at a higher level, better facilities are a must, and recruits must see that. That must know we are serious about basketball when they visit. That may be corrected with the "new" Littlejohn, we'll see.

That's it. It can be done.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I don't think the jury is still out on Brownell....

Mar 17, 2016, 11:40 AM

if the barometer for comparison purposes is Dabo.

When it comes to having a coach who the recruits really like, who they want to play for, and who can sell Clemson as a winner, Coach Borwnell can't hold a candle to Dabo and it's really not even close.

In fairness though, very few coaches can.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I don't think the jury is still out on Brownell....if a

Mar 17, 2016, 11:57 AM

kid wants to play in exciting games after squandering a big lead CU is the place

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Personally, I've lost confidence in Brownell's

Mar 17, 2016, 12:59 PM [ in reply to I don't think the jury is still out on Brownell.... ]

ability to get it done as well; I think he's had plenty of time to show some improvement. The reason I say "the jury's still out" is because he could possibly turn it around next year. I'm not holding my breath, and I'm not really hopeful, but he could. Also, in fairness to Brownell and being compared to Dabo, the basketball program has not had nearly the support from the university or the fans that Dabo and the football program have. Brownell has to own some of the fan support problem, but it wasn't the same to start with.

I'm not defending Brownell per se, his record is what it is, and I'd be happy to move in another direction. I'm just pointing out that his challenge has been a more difficult in some ways than Dabo's.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

While I don't entirely disagree....

Mar 17, 2016, 1:16 PM

with your assessment, I think it can be reasonably argued that Brownell inherited a program that made three straight NCAA Tournament appearances (four if you count Brownell's first year with OP's players), yet the program has progressively degenerated since.

Firing a coach is a drastic step. You're basically conceding the next three or four years as a rebuilding effort. However, I just think after six years we've seen enough from Brad Brownell to know that he is not the coach who is going to lead the Clemson basketball program in the direction we all want it to go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, I don't disagree with that at all.

Mar 17, 2016, 1:26 PM

Regardless of the role facilities and support played, it was ultimately Brownell's baby, and he just hasn't gotten it done.

- H. L. Mencken

Our home attendance was 9,465 per game in 2010. LJ holds

Mar 17, 2016, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Personally, I've lost confidence in Brownell's ]

how much - 10,500 or so? That's #### good fan support! Not quite football level, but #### good.

Unfortunately, we are down to about 7,400 per game this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's going to get worse next year even with the new arena...

Mar 17, 2016, 1:30 PM

unless JB returns.

Re: It ain't rocket science, and it can work for basketball just

Mar 17, 2016, 11:41 AM [ in reply to It ain't rocket science, and it can work for basketball just ]

Bowden breathed life into the program only to let the air out of our balloon by continually underachieving. He is much like CBB in that regard and I like CBB

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The difference is that TB took over a program that

Mar 17, 2016, 1:21 PM

had been in an almost decade-long funk and brought it up a notch before plateauing. BB took over a program that was on a roll and at a peak as far as Clemson basketball is concerned.

- H. L. Mencken

a new building with a stinker of a product on the court

Mar 17, 2016, 12:22 PM [ in reply to It ain't rocket science, and it can work for basketball just ]

may get them there once out of curiosity but they won't come back again and again. It's hard to believe that after six years we're still here....smh

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,220
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic