Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Farm and Home Week
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Farm and Home Week

Jun 3, 2020, 4:51 PM

Do any of you older posters remember when Clemson had Farm & Home Week every summer? Bowman Field was completely covered with huge tents with all sorts of exhibits and displays. There were lots of freebies, There was entertainment of some sort every night. Many families used the week as a vacation and considered it an annual ritual. They stayed in the dorms and ate in the cafeteria. I believe the 4-H and FFA also had meetings here at the same time. It was an exciting week in Clemson. I don't remember when it ceased, probably sometime in the 1960's.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Farm and Home Week

Jun 3, 2020, 5:18 PM

Probably similiar to 4-H camp but with better perks and being with family.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 5:25 PM

Yes, I remember it but not very well. I would have been somewhere between 6-10 years old when I went with my Dad. I remember climbing all over the new farm machinery exhibits. It would have been the early 1960s. I was so young that I did not remember it as a summer event. All this time, I've been thinking it was something they did in conjunction with a home football game weekend.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 5:37 PM

Jun 3, 2020, 5:39 PM

Yes I remember that very well. I grew up in Clemson. Fun times. We always looked forward to that week

Yes I remember that very well. I grew up in Clemson. Fun times. We always looked forward to that week

Re: Field Day

Jun 3, 2020, 6:05 PM

My uncle, who was Clemson grad, had huge dairy farm and had "Field Day" in June. Free stuff like cotton candy, sodas, games for the kids. Big show of the prize Guernseys. They even marketed their own milk before Coburg bought them out. I think that must be when it ended. I remember it back in the early to mid 60's because as a kid I overindulged on all the sodas and cotton candy and had a miserable night with a full blown bellyache. I am proud to say I have mostly practiced moderation in all things since then...mostly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 6:17 PM

We always went to the beach this week and next in the 70’s-80’s. That sounds pretty cool, all the farm girls coming to Clemson looking for farmers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jun 3, 2020, 7:15 PM

It was great fun--like the circus was in town. Lots of freebies as well as some type of 4-H show in the amphitheater. Anyone remember Willie Wirehand give-aways?

Jun 3, 2020, 7:32 PM

Yes some of my fondest childhood memories are from this annual event and this was the first time I experienced Clemson. I was born in 1950 and I think I was around 6 or 7 years old. Me, my dad, my double first cousin who has always been my best friend and his dad (my uncle who was a farmer) attended every year! We would see all the displays of the farm equipment and the equipment demonstrations. Afterward we would always go to the Dairy Science building for you know what Clemson Ice Cream the best in the land! After that we would go and watch the Army Corps of engineers build Lake Hartwell. I attended Clemson from 1968 to 1972 and my double first cousin was my roommate.

Jun 3, 2020, 8:09 PM

Hate I missed out on that

Jun 3, 2020, 8:44 PM

I grew up in OconeeCounty near Walhalla. My first memory of Clemson is going down to F & H Week for the day and in the afternoon going to the movie to see Yul Brenner in The King and I. It was an even more sleepy place in the summer then than now. I think. We rode the Welborn bus.

I grew up in OconeeCounty near Walhalla. My first memory of Clemson is going down to F & H Week for the day and in the afternoon going to the movie to see Yul Brenner in The King and I. It was an even more sleepy place in the summer then than now. I think. We rode the Welborn bus.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic