Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FGF is compiling the list of coaches....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

FGF is compiling the list of coaches....

Nov 11, 2020, 10:36 AM

..... to replace Muschamp.

Disclaimer: Following the coaching carousel has been a hobby of mine for over 20 years. (Remember, I first came to Tigernet when y'all were looking for a coach that ended up in the hire of Tommy Bowden.) Over that period of time the internet has made it much easier to get information. But, at the same time, ADs have gotten much smarter in hiding their actions, so it is easy to get bad information. Much harder to sort out fact from speculation to rumor to just flat out lies. But, I have fun trying.

Now, woth that said, here are some names that would at least seem to be reasonable for SC fans to think would be on the AD's list. I have no idea whether or not Muschamp is gonna be fired, much less who would be on the list if he was.

So, just for fun, here goes:
1. Hugh Freeze
2. Chadwell, CCU
3. Huepel, UCF
4. Napier, LU
5. Fleck, MN

Those are in no particular order.

My knee jerk reactions: In terms of pay and moving from a non power five to a power five conference, it would be a "promotion" for any of the first four on the list.

Would SC consider hiring Freeze and his baggage? Would Freeze leave? He was hired at Liberty by Jerry Falwell, Jr. who "resigned" recently because of his own "moral failure." Will the next president be in Freeze's corner? Will Freeze want to stay if the job at SC is offered to him? I have no idea. And, I suspect if anybody says they no the answers, they are lying.

As for the next 3 on the list, those jobs are stepping stone jobs. I don't think anybody expects those three guys to be coaching at those schools 5 or 10 years from now. But, nobody knows if they would think SC is a good enough job for them to leave where they are now.

I would dismiss Fleck. He's a Midwest guy. I would think his next job will not be at a mediocre school like SC. But, remember, Bielema left Wisconsin for Arkansas.

Anyway, just running off at my keyboard. I'll wait til Muschamp gets fired, if he does, before I start trying to run down rumors and figure out if there is any merit to them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FGF is compiling the list of coaches....

Nov 11, 2020, 10:45 AM

They need a Bowden. Tommy and Terry are available as is Bobby. Would like to see it. Strip clubs are not an issue with them. Hatfield also comes to mind. Again, strip clubs not an issue with Ken either. Good horse country nearby in Camden. Fear and Loathing in Columbia is real.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It the coots hired Tommy, nothing would change. Clemson

Nov 11, 2020, 11:12 AM

will still win!

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better be compiling a list of ATM's...............***

Nov 11, 2020, 11:05 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2020, 11:09 AM

AS TRUE TIGER FANS, WE MUST DO EVERYTHING IN OUR POWER TO STOP THIS MOVEMENT ! MUSCHAMP MUST CONTINUE TO REMAIN THEIR HEAD COACH!

Nov 11, 2020, 11:25 AM

They have BIG issues because not only do they need to fire Muschamp, they also need to fire R. Tanner. The givers do not want Tanner hiring any more coaches. Maybe they repeat the dumbness that they have shown....fire Ray, fire Muschamp (not dumb but stay with me) and then promote Dawn to the AD position, allow Dawn to hire the next fball coach and her replacement as the wbb coach. Now, that move would turn sour after the fball coach failed and the new womens bb coach failed. They would have repeated history by moving a very successful coach to the AD position, only to suck at everything.....even now women's bb, which is their pride and joy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

USuC's problem is that they have no history of football

Nov 11, 2020, 11:28 AM

coaching success. And by success I mean having a program defining coach who remained as their coach for 20+ years to which they have an identity. Spurrier was as close as they got and even he ditched them after 4 years of success boxed by 6 years of mediocrity/struggle on both ends of his tenure.

USuC is simply a one way road that dead ends in the coaching graveyard. The only coaches that will choose to go there are those that are desperate to get into Power 5 football, those simply chasing a paycheck, or some worn out coach looking for a last gig to pad their bank account prior to retiring.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2020, 11:29 AM

Does anybody else see this ending with scar hiring Les Miles out of Kansas?

or Bobby Petrino***

Nov 11, 2020, 11:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 11, 2020, 11:32 AM

The one thing everyone needs to realize, and for a rationalization of this watch MLB this off season. These huge salaries are going down. The compensation has gotten out of control and there are gonna be people screaming this coach makes this, that player makes that. The salaries are going down and in many cases they are going down by a measure of 50% or more. The NFL, MLB, NHL. and Soccer are all cutting payroll, renegotiating salaries or releasing players and paying the lesser buyout and saving millions. This isn't gonna stop, so some of the coaches on that list are making good money. For them to move to a tougher conference for basically the same pay may not be worth the headache involved.I dare say you won't see a college coach get a Saba\Swinney type contract again for a long while. Harbaugh is an example of overpaying and Michigan is scrambling, South Carolina really bought a non-laying hen at a golden goose price and their next coach won't get that salary or buyout.
Now for the flip side to that, there is some that will continue down the road to self destruction, NBA for example, their salaries are guaranteed totally, they feel they are the pendulum upon which all moral right is based so they will suffer the most as revenue continues to dry up but they still hand out huge contracts. They will eventually self-destruct and I can't wait! Teams like the Yankees and Dodgers will continue to spend while the rest of the teams come to a more business friendly model. The very fact that people have found that they can live quite nicely with or without pro sports, has opened alot of eyes.
I had been a fan of sports for 63 years, I played, loved and coached many sports for over 45 years. It has now been almost 2 years since I watched a MLB or NFL game, haven't watched an NBA game since Michael Jordan retired. I don't miss it, and there are millions of former fans like me.

Nov 11, 2020, 11:50 AM

At least the NBA is going to leave social justice messaging off the floor next season.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-says-social-justice-messages-largely-left-delivered-off-floor-next-season

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

China will have another campaign by then... so no worries***

Nov 11, 2020, 11:56 AM

The NBA will do whatever their CCP masters direct them to do***

Nov 11, 2020, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: FGF is compiling the list of coaches.... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2020, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Re: FGF is compiling the list of coaches.... ]

The one thing I didn't think of as I was writing my first reply is that the salary of the best coordinators will go up slightly or at least remain the same for the best of the best. This will make people like Venables, Elliot, Lashlee and a few others stay where they are far longer than they would have if the salary scale had continued to climb. The exception being Venables because I honestly think is loves his job and the freedom of not being the HC it gives him to be more emotionally attached to the game.

Nov 11, 2020, 2:58 PM

I really hope you are right about Venables.

Unless and until...

Nov 11, 2020, 11:32 AM

uof6c can manage to scrape together enough money to cover NoChamps $13 million buyout (which isn't likely to happen), this is a totally moot point.

That said, here's my take (for what it's worth).

Freeze - Freeze is damaged goods and any self-respecting program whose AD has an ounce of common sense and a genuine interest/desire in maintaining the integrity of the program would avoid this clown like the plague. This is exactly why Freeze is at the top of uof6c's wish list. They are so desperate for football success, they would knowingly, willingly and gladly compromise what little is left of the character and integrity of the university, the athletic department and the student-athletes if they thought for one second that doing so would result in more wins.

Chadwell - By all accounts, Chadwell is a good guy and a good coach which is not a good fit for uof6c's culture. If he's patient, he'll land a better job than uof6c that will actually advance his career rather than leading to an early retirement.

Huepel - Right now UCF is a better job than uof6c. In addition, Huepel makes $2 million annually and his buyout is $10 million. The Capons can't afford CussChamps $13 million buyout. They certainly can't afford to pay Huepel's $10 million buyout too.

Napier - Napier might be a realistic option for them should CussChamp get canned. He currently makes about $900,000 annually at ULaLa and his buyout is less than $2 million.

Fleck - As you pointed-out, Fleck is a Midwest guy. Not sure he'd be interested in what would be considered a lateral move (at best). He also makes about $5 million annually at Minnesota and his buyout is $10 million. Uof6c can't afford either.

One of uo6c's many problems is a complete lack of self-awareness. They think the football HC position at Chicken Central is on of the top 20 jobs in college football. It absolutely is not. In fact, there are probably 20 better jobs in the southeast alone. If you objectively compiled a national list, I'm not sure the Capons even crack the top 40.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

All good choices, all would be fools to sign with UofSC.***

Nov 11, 2020, 11:41 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All good choices, all would be fools to sign with UofSC.***

Nov 11, 2020, 11:51 AM

Hire me. I can lose twice as many games on half the salary!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thing is, most of us could win about as many as most coot

Nov 11, 2020, 11:54 AM

coaches tend to win, with the exception of Spurrier.

I mean, if they hired me, I don't know jack about college football coaching, but I'd hire a good OC & DC and get someone to head up recruiting, and we'd take our chances. Pretty sure an APM-coached coots team could beat Vandy, Kentucky, El Cid, Furman. There's 4 wins right there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2020, 11:52 AM

Their real problem is they are below pretty much any other job that comes open so their only hope is to get a coach no one else wants or is considering.

That could be Freeze unless Auburn is open.

I could also see Petrino because that's the kind of place SC is.

Their best chance of success is to get a long term quality coach in and wait for recruiting and character to improve as they develop a program.

They just don't have the money or history to cheat the way Auburn and LSU do and be successful with it.

I'd think Babers is their best option. Hopefully they won't hire him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they can wait a year then orgeron

Nov 11, 2020, 12:26 PM

May be available

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2020, 12:29 PM

Bet they wish they had kept Elliot.

Any successful power 5 coach should think really hard

Nov 11, 2020, 2:16 PM

about taking the South Carolina job. As we know, that job is truly a career killer. There aren't many power 5 jobs worse than that one.

Obviously someone a level below that would strongly consider taking the job. Some on your list can be more selective and patient than others, but the pay raise and status jump in taking an SEC job would be hard for most coaches at that level to turn down.

I hope they end up with someone awful.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nov 11, 2020, 2:57 PM

Is Todd Ellis available?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2020, 4:39 PM

I think what you are saying about bad information is to a large extent true. It really has become a “who do you believe” contest. Disinformation is obviously in the athletic department’s interest.

I was at Clemson-FSU with a couple of Noles when Taggert was on the hot seat. One of those is a big booster and while we were there, he received calls from the booster club asking about the possibility of donations to help pay for the buyout.

Now, if someone heard that story, would they find it reliable? I wouldn’t, but it was true. That is the kind of intel an industrious investigator might be able dig up with a few calls and a list of boosters, but there are lots of ways that could be compromised.

Nov 11, 2020, 5:50 PM

Example of Bad information

Rumors were rampant after Taggart was fired: Bob Stoops will be named HC tomorrow. (Those rumors persisted for about a week until the AD made a public statement, "We have talked about a lot of people, but we have not considered Bob Stoops."

Then, the rumors were, "Bob Stoops turned us down."

Nov 11, 2020, 5:36 PM

Larry, Moe, or Curly should be the options. Stupid for anyone to go there and kill whatever career they have going.

Nov 11, 2020, 6:35 PM

Jerry Sandusky. He can turn those boys around.

A couple of the Einsteins over there were mentioning “Matt Rhul” for the job.

Nov 11, 2020, 7:09 PM

Yeah, it Rhule with an -e at the end of it.

I’m sure he wants to end his NFL COACHING CAREER LESS THAN 1 YEAR IN to be the head man in Cooterville. I’m sure he was an avid coot fan growing up in NEW YORK, NEW YORK.

??

~JKB

A FEW MORE CANDIDATES

Nov 11, 2020, 8:59 PM

1. Elmer Fudd (eternally optimistic)
2. Wiley Coyote (coot level wild schemes)
3. Yogi Bear ( laziness fits right in)
4. Foghorn Leghorn (the obvious front runner)
5. Daffy Duck (another angry loser)

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic