Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: McShay: Watson has all the right tools to be great
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,481

FB Update: McShay: Watson has all the right tools to be great

Apr 3, 2017, 9:23 AM

McShay: Watson has all the right tools to be great

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: McShay: Watson has all the right tools to be great

Apr 3, 2017, 10:20 AM

I have to wonder exactly what the standard is for their grades ... Peyton Manning? An average professional QB? A Top College QB?

To me, giving Deshaun a B+ for mental makeup tells me that they haven't done their homework. McShay just listed Watson's fantastic performances at "Go Time", and then gives him a B+??? How could he have done anything better than he did in the last 2 National Title Games? For that metric, Deshaun deserves an A+.

I don't have the football knowledge to talk about Release / Arm Strength, but the other metric that seems very low is Accuracy. Does a 67% annual and career completion percent on a whopping 579 attempts (in 2016) really equate to a B-??

It seems to me that both Deshaun and Mike are affected by the "Clemson Curve", in that our athletes seem to be held to a higher standard than other players. In the end, it doesn't matter because OUR Tigers ALWAYS step up their game and class and rise to the top.

I have to wonder though, how would the ratings look if he were an Alabama, Ohio State, or Michigan player?

I'm proud of ALL of our players for the way they represent themselves and Clemson University. GO TIGERS!

Agreed, should be an A at worst for mental makeup.

Apr 3, 2017, 6:33 PM

The arm strength could be a B or B+ but I think of a guy like Flacco (possibly strongest arm in nfl) for an A+ there. He has an excellent arm but there are stronger arms in the NFL. DW has a quick release but he might be getting docked for footwork.

Re: Agreed, should be an A at worst for mental makeup.

Apr 5, 2017, 10:30 AM

you can dock him for footwork I understand, but a lot of that has to do with the offense that he is in. For what this offense had him doing he did a #### good job. His reads won't be up there with an offense that is more pro style because it is already predetermined based on the reads he is given. Yes his interceptions went up, but how many of them were bad reads or were they tipped balls? That's like giving a pitcher a higher ERA because of the shortstop booted the ball and a run scored.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

None of this will matter in a few weeks when teams actually

Apr 3, 2017, 6:53 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: McShay: Watson has all the right tools to be great ]

... make their selections and it once again becomes apparent just how out of touch guys like McShay really are.

If any of them knew what they were talking about they'd be filthy rich because the NFL teams would pay them huge bucks to get a share of their insights.

The teams will select, the playes will sign, and in a month or so, no one will recall what Todd McShay had to say ... or care. He'll just start all over for next year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: McShay: Watson has all the right tools to be great

Apr 3, 2017, 3:38 PM

I think it is time for me to grade McShay!

Evaluator of talent - F

Who agrees with me?

I wonder how Saban would grade Watson?

Not as stupid as he sometimes appears ...***

Apr 3, 2017, 5:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,481
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic