Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Etienne > Spiller
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Etienne > Spiller

Oct 11, 2020, 12:34 AM

May hurt some but true

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Etienne > Spiller

Oct 11, 2020, 12:40 AM

As a pure RB? Sure - I'd rather have ETN tote the rock more.

As an ALL-PURPOSE player? No.

Go watch a highlight reel of Spiller.

Don't get me wrong, ETN is definitely etching his name among the greats and I LOVE watching him take it to the house but Spiller was the MAN too ??????

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2020, 12:59 AM

I love C.J. played against him in school in the Jacksonville area. Everything he’s done for Clemson is remarkable and he’s one of my favorite tigers ever.

Etienne is a better football player.

Oct 11, 2020, 1:07 AM

Overall, agree to disagree ????

Not a bad debate at all and both highlight reels will be fun to cherish as fans ??

I agree with you

Oct 11, 2020, 7:44 AM

Plus, the cast around ETN far surpasses those Spiller played with. That said, Dabo plucking Spiller out of FL is what started recruiting momentum.

Everytime Spiller returned a kick/punt I expected it to be housed... only one return since Spiller can I recall a Tiger TD.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2020, 1:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Etienne > Spiller ]

Travis has improved in certain areas every year he has been at Clemson. In 2017..he was speed....and that's about it. No power. Not a good receiver at all. Just speed. In 2018 he worked hard and improved his power. By the end of the season, he was punching through Alabama's defensive line. Only thing missing was he couldn't catch the ball. 2019, he continued to improve his speed and power, but he started to catch the ball and became a true threat catching out of the backfield. But playoffs, he was catching the ball to win vs the best defensive in the country.... OSU. He continues to improve his game
Spiller was amazing but was the same his jr year as he was his freshman. He did get a little more power his senior year....but no where near as much as Travis has. I'm hoping Travis will win the heisman this year

Oct 11, 2020, 12:40 AM

As a pure RB? Sure - I'd rather have ETN tote the rock more.

As an ALL-PURPOSE player? No.

Go watch a highlight reel of Spiller.

Don't get me wrong, ETN is definitely etching his name among the greats and I LOVE watching him take it to the house but Spiller was the MAN too ??????

Oct 11, 2020, 12:44 AM

If spiller played during this era of Clemson FB, he wins 2 heismans

I think so too

Oct 11, 2020, 12:48 AM

Now that Etienne is a huge threat in the passing game i would take him over Spiller. Don't kid yourself, Etienne could return kicks right now too, we just don't need him to.

Re: I think so too

Oct 11, 2020, 12:55 AM

Now that Etienne is a huge threat in the passing game i would take him over Spiller. Don't kid yourself, Etienne could return kicks right now too, we just don't need him to.

ETN can return kicks but he's no Spiller - I would LOVE for him to take one to the house on a punt or kick return (he almost did earlier this year ??) but there's a reason why Spiller is like the school record holder for All Purpose yards and like top 5 or 10 in NCAA History for the same stat.

I will concede on ETN being the starting RB between the 2 but give me Spiller in the backfield on 3rd down or returning kicks cause the dude was electric ??????

We are spoiled as fans to get to debate this ??

correct***

Oct 11, 2020, 12:50 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2020, 9:58 AM

ETN is definitely better and his game will translate much better to the NFL than CJ’s did.

I’m gonna take him in the 1st round of my fantasy draft next year!

Oct 11, 2020, 1:01 AM

Been saying he’s the 1.1 in dynasty drafts. His NFL impact is McCaffrey level.

Oct 11, 2020, 1:01 AM

I refuse to weigh in on this. It’s like picking a favorite child.

Oct 11, 2020, 1:04 AM

Smart decision ??????

They are both great in their own right and I hate to see either slighted because one is still carving their legacy and the other is a legend

Just imagine SPILLER getting to play with the TEAM ET has

Oct 11, 2020, 1:02 AM

around him though

ET is amazing and maybe better - but . . . .

null

Spiller was a track guy that played football... and

Oct 11, 2020, 1:06 AM

was really good

ETN is a football playe that runs track... and is great

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spiller was a track guy that played football... and

Oct 11, 2020, 1:18 AM

Snowtown® said:

was really good

ETN is a football playe that runs track... and is great

Both are great!

I can agree tho - Spiller was ALWAYS the speedster with elusiveness. He was definitely more than just a track guy playing football tho and a quick view of his highlights would prove that.

ETN reminds me of a hybrid between Wayne Gallman & Andre Ellington with more power and speed.

Imo ETN doesn't have Super ELITE speed like Spiller - by that, I mean I think he runs legit 4.4s and not 4.2-4.3s which is still crazy fast ??

As I said in another post - ETN starts at RB and Spiller is the All Purpose back ??

Oct 11, 2020, 1:11 AM

My take is Etienne has a stronger lower body and is better prepared to take a hit. This will help him in NFL. Etienne is also still improving. Neither CJ nor ETN has had outstanding run blocking at Clemson. CJ bounced it outside to compensate. ETN has many short runs with no blocking. Both were 5-5-3-2-5-2-20-3-2-50-2-5-4-etc.

Uncertain ETN is as tough as CMC but he's slightly tougher than CJ. And props to CJ for sharing his wisdom and experience and skill sets with the promising-to-be 2020 natl championship Clemson RB's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2020, 1:40 AM

It's a fun debate and you can't go wrong with either choice. My two cents FWIW.

The argument for Spiller is that he didn't have the personnel that we have now and that's valid.

My argument for 9 is that he puts up record breaking numbers in spite of our personnel. I would like to think he would be threatening 2000 yard mark rushing with increased work load. I mean he barely even got any carries in the 4th qtr last year. Also, he seems to really rise to the occasion against our best opposition. See his CFB Playoff numbers...

Love both but even before he decided to come back this year, my vote was for 9...This year solidifies it for me...

I'd love to see DW4, TL16, TE9 and one other great ambassador and player for Clemson Christian Wilkins as Ring of Honor reps one day.

True, but without Spiller being a Tiger...

Oct 11, 2020, 1:23 AM

then there is no Etienne most likely

Tahj and CJ laid the groundwork for what Clemson is today

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2020, 5:03 AM

Just my take, but I think Spiller was better suited as a WR/or in the slot, but Etienne is a better runner, especially between the tackles.#9 also has an uncanny knack of bouncing off tackles.
Would love to see them, in their prime do a 100 meter dash with pads.

The correct answer is...

Oct 11, 2020, 7:13 AM

They are both great Tigers and it was a privilege to watch them play for Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Oct 11, 2020, 7:23 AM

Etienne is a better RB. Spiller was a better FB player.

Oct 11, 2020, 7:37 AM

Spiller is an all time Clemson great. EtN will have the college football touchdown record and every season he was one of the leaders in yards per carry.

EtN is an all time college football great. Stats nerds will compare him to Hershel, Tony Dorset, Billy Sims, Bo And Archie Griffin.

Oct 11, 2020, 7:41 AM

The "best" arguments are pretty silly.

Different circumstances, different styles, etc., etc., etc.,.....

Just enjoy the show.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2020, 8:07 AM

Mmmmm that’s a tough one. Spiller has all the kick and punt return TDs. That hold a lot of weight for me.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic