Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Electrical question for you jounge
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 288

Electrical question for you jounge

Nov 16, 2020, 8:43 AM

wiring lights in the attic.

There's a hot/neutral/ground going to the light box. In the light box there's another wire connected to the light box wires to run to another light box half way down the attic.

Cut breaker off. 0 current going through the light box

Half way down the wire to the 2nd box, 0 current.

Get to the end of the second wire where the other light box is going, current.

1-4 volts coming off of the hot.

Doesn't make sense.

MauldinT® said not to #### with it

Dad of had no clue

Friend of said there's always going to be a small charge on everything just because of the neutral and ground being part of the overall electrical work of the house

What do jounge? Put in the light box and hope it is only 1-4 volts?

Cut the wire and say #### it?

Burn house down?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Snapchat saw it first

Nov 16, 2020, 8:46 AM

And it was just as bad then as it is now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Civil engineers can stay out

Nov 16, 2020, 8:47 AM

when I need to dig a ditch I'll let you know

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Stick to pallet decks. Less likely to die or burn the house

Nov 16, 2020, 8:47 AM

down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Electrical question for you jounge

Nov 16, 2020, 9:04 AM

Best guess. There is an AC motor running and you are picking up a stray voltage from the AC motor. 1-4 volts AC can come from any thing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2020, 9:05 AM

You don't live close to power transmission lines do you?

Nov 16, 2020, 9:21 AM

A long run of wire is an antenna so you can pick up voltage and it can come from any where. Some times people get the hot and neutral crossed somewhere in the house and can cause some voltage on the neutral. Things will still work because its AC but not a good idea. You could always lick the hot wire and see if you get a tingle or more than a tingle. Then you will know its hot. Don't do that just kidding.

Ts & Ps there is NOT a house fire in your future.***

Nov 16, 2020, 9:13 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2020, 9:34 AM

I was going to weigh in on this snap chat but my phone died before I could send. Good to see that you didn't die from that project, I would have felt responsible.

wiring lights in the attic.
>>>>don't. Just don't do it. Headlamps are like $2 at Lowes/HD. Just wear one when you're up there. It's what I do and it works. Be like me.

There's a hot/neutral/ground going to the light box. In the light box there's another wire connected to the light box wires to run to another light box half way down the attic.
>>>>Okay, they're daisy-chained. This is normal.

Cut breaker off. 0 current going through the light box
>>>>>I doubt you measured current. You probably mean voltage, but either way, you don't have current. So far so good.

Half way down the wire to the 2nd box, 0 current.
>>>>>As would be expected... Still good.

Get to the end of the second wire where the other light box is going, current.
>>>>>Again, I think you're confusing voltage and current. I think this
1-4 volts that you're measuring is just some induced/stray/phantom voltage. It can be ignored. Probably caused by the sheet metal on the trailer, some sort of huge TV antenna in your attic, you're cheap-o multimeter, or the temporary construction pole that is still providing power to your house two decades after it was built. You're good.

Doesn't make sense.
>>>> Just treat it like other things that don't make sense. Chalk it up to God, or whatever and move along.

MauldinT® said not to #### with it
>>>>> He's just looking out for you. Good guy. I agree, just get a headlamp.

Dad of had no clue
>>>>>> He probably is so used to hearing you ask idiotic questions that he's blowing you off.

Friend of said there's always going to be a small charge on everything just because of the neutral and ground being part of the overall electrical work of the house
>>>>>>Like I said earlier. Yea probably the case.

What do jounge? Put in the light box and hope it is only 1-4 volts?
>>>>>>> Yea, go for it.

Cut the wire and say #### it?
>>>>>>> Yea, go for it.

Burn house down?
>>>>>>> Yea, go for it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Nov 16, 2020, 9:37 AM

For srs. If you don't believe me, touch the hot, neutral, and ground wires together (that are measuring 1-4V) and see what happens. I'm sure nothing will happen, which will support the prevailing theory that this voltage is not a real concern.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Probably feeding back through the neutral***

Nov 16, 2020, 10:07 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2020, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Electrical question for you jounge ]

I told him to lick it now you told him to touch it. We cannot tell him where the stray voltage is coming from without investigating. I don't do peoples houses its bad from the get go. I learned a lesson from a friend of mine. He had bought a pre 1972 house and was having problems with his out door light. He asked if I could take a look. I said sure. Went into his attic. 2 wire paper insulation no ground. I found one outlet had the hot and neutral cross but that did not fix his problem. I was still looking and he said some time his bathroom light would act funny. It was working fine when I was there but he kept turn it off and on to try to show me the problem. Went back up in his attic and could see a spark coming for the bathroom light. It was the same line that went to the outside light. the paper insulation had broken down and was sparking against the fixture. I did the best I would with electrical and told him he need to have the house re-wire because it was dangerous. He sold the house instead. I hope it got rewired.

Replies: 11
| visibility 288
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic