Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Economics of social media and the NIL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Economics of social media and the NIL

Jun 16, 2020, 2:34 PM

Now I understand that current projections are based on existing sponsorship for social media influences. However, what impact does college sports have on the overall economics of social media?

Currently sports figures are making money based on the total followers. For example Curry makes 150k per post for his 29M followers on Instagram. That following is based on name recognition nationally.

T. Lawrence currently sits at almost 500k and by current standards would make 10k per post.

Of course college athletics and recruiting changes all of this as recruits begin to obtain 100k followers based on interest from a team and college football team followers are encouraged to follow all players on the team.

At what point does the influx of casual fans following for recruiting water down the sponsorship market and if every college player has 300k followers due to fans what is the real ROI for paying Lawrence who will only reach 200k more people?

If I can reach the entire Clemson fanbase by sponsoring B.T. Potter at $50 a post why would I pay anyone $1000 per post. If I sponsor every D-1 NCAA kicker that is only $6500 to reach $39M instead of $10k to reach 500k.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Economics of social media and the NIL

Jun 16, 2020, 2:43 PM

The intersection of supply and demand shifts frequently. The intercept point can go in many directions. So, yes there will be an impact as situations change.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 2:47 PM

You can not reach the entire Clemson fanbase by sponsoring B.T. Potter. Of the people I follow, which is largely made up of now alumni at Clemson, 112 of them follow Trevor Lawrence while only 1 follows B.T. Potter (the Clemsonfb page).

If your targeted audience was just my friend base, you'd be paying $9 a view for Trevor, but $50 a view for B.T. Potter, thus you'd want to pick Trevor.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 2:52 PM

That is under current social media norms with no incentive for fans to follow a player. When fans see the opportunity to have an impact on recruiting by following all Clemson players that norm shifts. If every player on Clemson recruiting class gains 300k followers before they step on campus and another 100k because Clemson fans see a value in following them. Is TL that much more valuable than BTP?

null

Jun 16, 2020, 3:12 PM

If Bt Potter's follower rate increased proportionally more than Trevor Lawrence due to the situation you laid out the price he would require would also go up. You'd also have to ask the question do fans engage on more of Trevor's photos than BTP's? All this stuff is already done and evaluated as the Global Instagram Influencet market is at over 7 billion dollar so its already pretty efficient.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 5:02 PM

Agree and also think this is a new dynamic in that market. NBA player do not get an influx of followers due to recruiting. A player does not have to be a star QB to get a following in college only express an interest in a University. NIL makes this an opportunity for any fan to have an impact.

The Global Influence market only sees popularity (followers) as an indication of the market that can be reached by an individual. If 85 individuals have an 80% overlap in followers the independent market that can be reached is reduced and the value goes down. Why would a fan base follow, engage, view one player over another if there is an advantage to follow and engage with all? Star QBs will always have a greater following, however the gap may be greatly reduced due to the "rewards" associated with following.

null

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic