Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Skalski and Fields
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Skalski and Fields

Jan 2, 2021, 12:33 PM

Still hurtin', for sure, but some things ease the pain. And one of them was the sight of James Skalski and Justin Fields meeting after the game, shaking hands, smiling, wishing each other well. It was clearly a gesture by Skalski of checking on the guy he nearly put out of the game, to make sure he was OK, to apologize perhaps for the severity of the hit, to congratulate him for soldiering up and finishing the game like a champion. And for Fields, a total class act to accept the well wishes from his opponent. I know I'm sounding grandpa-ish here, but I don't care. The way those two interacted after the game gives me hope for the future, that we can still battle it out with a rival, lay it all out, even bleed a little, and yet have the wherewithal to stand up in defeat -- or victory -- and salute your opponent with dignity, respect and class. Congratulations, OSU, and thank you, Justin and James, for that brilliant moment in time. It will not be forgotten by this old man.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Skalski and Fields

Jan 2, 2021, 12:35 PM

There plenty of "old things" that should be preserved (& some that should fade away)

This stuff is the former.

Jan 2, 2021, 12:45 PM

I saw that too and it really solidified my opinion of Skalski. What a great show of sportsmanship. Plays with a lot of fire and I've enjoyed watching him quarterback your defense. Very fortunate that hit wasn't a spinal injury for him. It looked identical to the Ryan Shazier hit. See y'all again next year.

Fields had no hard feelings

Jan 2, 2021, 12:52 PM

He understood things happen.

Of course, we all know Skalski was trying to lay a hard hit, but nothing dirty. Fields seemed to understand that.

This is known as sportsmanship. Props to both guys.

Re: Fields had no hard feelings

Jan 2, 2021, 12:55 PM

MoCity said:

Of course, we all know Skalski was trying to lay a hard hit, but nothing dirty. Fields seemed to understand that.

Skalski hits because he wants his opponents to feel it, and not as much because he wants to bring them down.

He is the definition of dirty player and I’ve never liked the guy.

Jan 2, 2021, 12:59 PM

Skalski isn't a dirty player. If you watched the Ohio State defense all night, they hit because they "want the opponent to feel it". This is what happens in the CFP.

Do you remember Alabama delivering several head shots to DW4 (both years)? That was dirty. Hitting with force is not.

You may be mixing up Skalski with Ben Boulware, who was indeed dirty sometimes. Skalski does not play like that.

Jan 2, 2021, 1:09 PM

It was a dirty hit by a player who has been issued targeting penalties multiple times. That wasn't meant to be hard. He speared him head down, leading with the crown of his helmet directly into his opponent. Cmon.

Jan 2, 2021, 1:17 PM

Wrong .... you have no idea what you are talking about. Players are taught to put their face mask into an opponent, not the crown of the helmet. But when a player carrying the ball goes down low, like fields, it is about impossible to lower your body and shoulders without lowering the head. I am sure his intention was to hit with his shoulder, but sometimes it is just too late to get the head out of the way. It was targeting, but nothing dirty.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Fields had no hard feelings ]

If you think that skalski knew in that split second that Fields was going to try a spin move and rotate his body to the left just as he was going for the stop then your concept of time might be flawed. It's easy to say he could of done this or done that when watching it in slow motion. Watch it full speed.. He's right at the first down marker so he has to make the stop and at the last second Fields tried to spin cause he also knew where the first down marker was.....

Dumb troll post of the day. Not surprising coming from an LSU fan

Jan 2, 2021, 11:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Fields had no hard feelings ]

that continues to troll for as long as you have. Find something better to do with your time.

Re: Dumb troll post of the day. Not surprising coming from an LSU fan

Jan 2, 2021, 1:14 PM

And you Coot, are the true keyboard warrior loser of the upstate. Anytime anyone says something on this public board that you disagree with, or even slightly negative about the tigers, you’re on it like stink on shyte to tell them they’re a coot troll.

I’d really like to believe you’re just some 17 year old punk living in his moms basement, but sadly you’re more likely in your 40’s and sit on your phone bashing people on Tnet all day, while neglecting your family.

Sad some people can’t just enjoy the ride and have civil conversation and enjoy watching the tigers play together.

Jan 2, 2021, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Fields had no hard feelings ]

~JKB

Jan 2, 2021, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Fields had no hard feelings ]

MoCity said:

Skalski hits because he wants his opponents to feel it, and not as much because he wants to bring them down.

He is the definition of dirty player and I’ve never liked the guy.

Get off our website and stay off, you scumbag a $ $ hole

you are an embarrassment to native Texans.***

Jan 2, 2021, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Fields had no hard feelings ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

MODS !!! Time to delete this negative troll. 28% proves it.***

Jan 2, 2021, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Fields had no hard feelings ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Fields had no hard feelings ]

It is a part of the middle linebackers job description to arrive at the point of contact "with bad intentions"

By that I do not mean injury, but I do mean pain. Imposing one's will is a part of football (and many other sports).

Skalski and Fields understood that before they chose to cross those white lines.

No one here cares what you think. About literally anything.

Jan 2, 2021, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Fields had no hard feelings ]

I bet you have never played a down of football besides in your back yard.

I wish it were more of the norm...

Jan 2, 2021, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Fields had no hard feelings ]

... but, sadly, I think it stood out to me because we have seen so many instances of poor sportsmanship this bowl season, including one HORRENDOUS postgame melee. Just glad to see good sportsmanship still does exist and that Clemson guys are exhibiting it.

Excellent to hear!***

Jan 2, 2021, 12:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jan 2, 2021, 1:01 PM

plyers are almost always good about that stuff. Miss St and Tulsa was a big aberration and disappointing

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 1:01 PM

Just wanted to jump on as a Buckeye fan and recognize that great display of sportsmanship at the end of the game. Not just Fields and Skalski, but all the players and coaches. Such a contrast to the huge brawl between Miss. State and Tulsa earlier. Awesome to see the mutual respect for what the two heavyweight fights we have been privileged to watch the last two years. I never look forward to the injury report after playing Clemson!

Lawrence is a class act and unbelievable talent. I look forward to seeing him at the next level.

You guys and Alabama have been the standard we have been trying to get to the last several years. Glad our program could take one step closer to that level last night.

Congrats on all your recent success. I look forward to some more instant classic showdowns in the future.

Just beat Alabama

Jan 2, 2021, 1:03 PM

and be done with it.

nah, if Saban can just win one more and pass Bear Bryant

Jan 2, 2021, 1:29 PM

he can retire. i mean, since we are out of it now it's OK for Bama to win it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

There is zero doubt

Jan 2, 2021, 7:23 PM

that Skalski didn't wish to put an illegal hit on and be thrown out of a playoff seni final. It was a full speed error in a violent contest.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic