Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don’t care much for Bobby Petrino but he is a good coach.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Don’t care much for Bobby Petrino but he is a good coach.

Nov 11, 2018, 12:10 PM

Owing him several million dollars and firing him without moral cause IMO was a mistake. He had a bad year. He should have been given more time to rebuild the program. If college football programs are going to fire HC’s after one bad season watch out fans ticket prices and everything else is going up to pay coaches not to coach.

Does not make much economic sense. The AD that signed Petrino to that contract , the University President and BOT who approved it should also be shown the door. If FSU fires their HC why give him a 4 or 5 year contract?? Makes no sense!

This buyouts for coaches is getting out of hand. At some point the ballon will bust taking college football with it. At least as we know it. And I blame the media for many of these firings. They talk about it every week. And strongly suggest their opinions. ESPN is one of the worst.

What do you guys think?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don’t care much for Bobby Petrino but he is a good coach.

Nov 11, 2018, 12:14 PM

In a nutshell I will say that a lot of people in our society are not committed long term to anything other than themselves. Instant gratification is the name of the game. CFB is a reflection of that with big money and more publicity.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2018, 12:15 PM

the AD is long gone and could be indicted in the hoops scandal. Pres may gone too

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2018, 12:24 PM

I think the hoops scandal took out all their bagmen and left Petrino with nothing but his personality to attract players. The result was inevitable.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe “was” a good coach

Nov 11, 2018, 12:18 PM

He's had plenty of time to win a division, CC and...

Nov 11, 2018, 12:20 PM

build a team. He didn't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2018, 12:22 PM

I just think there is more to it in this particular situation. Louisville with its recent basketball BS, and the fact that it appeared to look like the coaching staff completely lost that team.
Recruits decommitting, players transfers. Petrino just has not looked like himself.

You lost me at "he is a good coach"

Nov 11, 2018, 12:28 PM

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Well...since they hired him without moral cause...

Nov 11, 2018, 12:39 PM

maybe they felt justified in sending his 1$$ packing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 11, 2018, 2:04 PM

Depends on your definition of a good coach. If you're only talking Xs and Os, then maybe. In my definition, he could hardly be any worse as a coach.

I will agree, these buyouts are out of control. If they are going to write in bonuses, perhaps they should write in deductions.

Nov 11, 2018, 2:14 PM

Bobby P's an okay coach - unless his eyes wander toward a great looking 21-year-old intern who likes to ride (and wreck) motorcycles. Hooch, babes & bikes tend to distract him.

Nov 11, 2018, 2:39 PM

I think the market drives football salaries.

Say what you want, winning football games has enormous value to Universities, and is some of the most effective advertising you can do...applications at Clemson are booming, and have been, ever since Dabo started winning. Even academics admit the value of football to colleges is immense.

Petrino is a very good playcaller, maybe one of the best in the game since Spurrier retired. He's also death over the long term to a program because in terms of personnel management he's awful.

Aside from his QB and some WR's, Petrino just plain didn't recruit, and left that job to others, and he was going to be as good or as bad as the staff he had. This was always a problem for him...because he's always had high staff turnover and does not seem to treat his staff very well.

He was notorious for not recruiting numbers or quality on the defensive side of the ball, and he was sort of a "slash-and-burn" artist...stick him on an already-built roster, and he's bring in a pile of JUCO's and transfers from other schools, find or coach up a QB, and with his playbook and playcalling ability he'd add an instant dose of offensive juice to every program he took over. He did that with every stop he made...and was usually gone inside 3 years. And at every stop, he was famous for leaving a gutted locker room devoid of talent behind him.

Petrino inherited a loaded roster at Louisville built by Charlie Strong. He wasn't going to "rebuild" that program...he was the one who ran it into the ground to begin with. Whoever follows is going to inherit a team that's going to have to be rebuilt from the ground up, again, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. There's literally nothing there to build around.

Petrino's pattern has been pretty obvious for awhile now. Did he give them a jolt of juice upon returning? Sure. He does that. But then he did what he always has done, too, and just plain bled talent and coaches until there's now literally nothing left.

Those close to the program knew it. Petrino had to go...but maybe it was a worthy trade-off, too, because Louisville did establish they could compete in the ACC, at least for awhile, and they did win a Heisman with Lamar Jackson. And now Louisville is certainly considered a legit destination in terms of current national perception, whereas just five years ago they were an upjumped former mid-major trying to make it in a Power 5 conference. That's a big switch.

Louisville's big mistake, IMHO, was locking Petrino into a buyout, since Petrino tends to start strong and fade, and a lot of people suspected from the outset he'd be a disaster over the long term, given his prior history.

Nov 11, 2018, 3:04 PM

I think he is ethically and morally bankrupt ... all the reason you need to fire him. Not that I believe that was UL's reason, because the whole bunch of them (top to bottom) are dues-paying members of the ethically & morally bankrupt club.

Nov 11, 2018, 4:03 PM

I think he has a brother and brother in law on his staff now as position coached and neither has ever coached before.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic