Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anyone recall when Jim Phillips
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,895

Does anyone recall when Jim Phillips

May 1, 2014, 5:27 PM

began broadcasting Tiger games, (football, basketball and sometimes baseball) he was also Sports Director for WYFF (then WFBC) but eventually he left the station and only did football and basketball? Could Yannity have been asked to leave WSPA and only do Clemson sports. What does Korny say?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does anyone recall when Jim Phillips

May 1, 2014, 6:17 PM

I remember when Jim did the sports on channel 4. Greenville came in pretty good over our antenna my Dad attached to the chimney on the roof of the house.

We didn't get much (any) Clemson football on TV, so Saturday we listened to Jim if we wanted to hear the game. Remember when Jim wore a toupee? I recall the first time I saw him without it, after he decided to take it off.

There were two things that made Jim a legend. First, he loved the Clemson Tigers. You knew it and felt it just by the way he talked. There was never any doubt the Tigers were always in his heart.

Secondly, Jim grew up with radio, and knew what it took to make the game come alive. A listener had to mentally follow the announcer, and no one was better than Jim at
putting a continual mental image of the game in your head. I could follow the action up and down the field just with Jim's words. When the Tigers scored or made a great play, Jim's excitement and enthusiasm was absolutely infectious. I think that skill and talent is extremely scarce today. TV announcers think their job is to fill in dead time while you are watching the game. They should go back and watch and learn how it used to be done, and no one was better than Jim Phillips, THE voice of the Clemson Tigers.

Re: Does anyone recall when Jim Phillips

May 1, 2014, 7:03 PM

IMHO the best Tiger broadcast team was Jim, Mike Eppley & Rodney Williams on the sidelines but Jim carried whoever was teamed with him. Never even thought about turning up the sound on the tube when watching the game. The best play by play guys came from radio and had "PIPES." Certainly not the only requirement but it was a #### good start. There's a few around today that draw you in no matter who's playing.
Yannity sounded like a hall monitor or the President of the SGA. His only contribution was "THERE'S ......ZONE! WHICH I HOPE TO GOD LEFT W/HIM!!
Ellis/Suggs were better.

He had to wear the rug. Was forced to by channel 4

May 1, 2014, 11:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Does anyone recall when Jim Phillips ]

he despised it and as soon as he was let go by then WFBC-TV, he ditched it. You are right on the money regarding announcers who cut their teeth on radio

JP began in 1968 as far as I can recall - my understanding..

May 1, 2014, 6:55 PM

is that it was decided by Yannity not to leave TV and focus fulltime at Clemson - it was his decision.

That makes more sense than anything I've heard.***

May 1, 2014, 10:06 PM

Jim did not leave TV by choice. He was let go in favor

May 1, 2014, 11:38 PM [ in reply to JP began in 1968 as far as I can recall - my understanding.. ]

of future congressman J.D. Hayworth. Unless announcers are an employee of the university, and Jim never was, they do not draw a salary from the school. They are contractors paid per game by the network. All Clemson announcers up until Munson now have been contractors. Don is an employee so will draw salary and probably per game talent pay

Re: Jim did not leave TV by choice. He was let go in favor

May 2, 2014, 6:43 AM

Jim was not only the best "Voice" Clemson ever had, he was the best WFBC/WYFF ever had on the air.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

If that's true, I have no problem with it***

May 2, 2014, 6:41 AM [ in reply to JP began in 1968 as far as I can recall - my understanding.. ]

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I worked with Jim at WFBC TV and on the Clemson

May 1, 2014, 7:04 PM

games on radio for a few years. I also worked with his son
Jeff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jim came to Clemson in 1968 during my senior year, and

May 2, 2014, 5:44 AM

I met him during an on campus function.

Over the years, like so many others, I listened to his broadcasts of our games, and his voice became distinctly ingrained into my memory.

Perhaps, one of the greatest tributes upon his death was the one from Bob Fulton, who called several plays during a subsequent Clemson game. Fulton, the long time play caller for South Carolina, received a huge ovation from the Clemson crowd.

It remains amazing to me that after all these years, I can still hear Jim's voice calling games. A real Clemson legend!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can still hear him as well

May 2, 2014, 6:48 AM

We will never see his equal, or should I say, hear. Bob Fulton was a class act. I sure hope we are not getting the equivalent of what SCar got as a replacement for Bob.

--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,895
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic