Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anyone know the history of our upper decks?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Does anyone know the history of our upper decks?

Dec 8, 2020, 7:06 PM

Specifically, why the away side is bigger? I don't understand why we went with an asymmetrical design. I've been a Clemson fan since I was a boy, and now I'm working on my second degree from the school. All these years, up until 2 years ago, I never noticed that they were not symmetrical. Does anyone have an article or know the history on why this design was chosen?

I've attached a photo if you've never noticed this. A lot of people are surprised when I tell them this.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does anyone know the history of our upper decks?

Dec 8, 2020, 7:16 PM

I know someone who played for Danny who used to take girls to the top of the south stands and make out....is that the history you're looking for? No, not Billy Hudson

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

more room and the 81 natty***

Dec 8, 2020, 7:30 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2020, 7:32 PM

Yes.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Home side built years before the visitor side

Dec 8, 2020, 7:32 PM

https://digitalcollections.clemson.edu/single-item-view/?oid=CUIR:9D7F44E903A6955F421B693DC88CB121

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

The 1st season for the visitor side was 1983.

Dec 8, 2020, 7:58 PM

That was my freshman year. I sat up there for the 1st game just to see what it was like. The corners were fairly empty except for one other guy who I struck up a conversation with. We never exchanged names during the game, and afterward, I went back to my dorm. About 30 minutes later, there was a knock on the door and that guy walks in. Turns out he was my roommates' brother.

Dec 8, 2020, 8:03 PM

South was 1978 and North '83. If I remember correctly Clemson was one of the first to do those enclosed corporate suites on the North Side between the two decks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2020, 8:07 PM

Really ? That’s cool fact. Thanks!

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2020, 8:05 PM

I know I noted bricks

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dec 8, 2020, 8:08 PM

Donated

Dec 8, 2020, 8:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Does anyone know the history of our upper decks? ]

Donated

Dec 8, 2020, 8:17 PM

I attended the South Carolina game in 1978 when I was in grade school. Seems like I remember that was the first game the South upper deck was open. People sat up there on the first few rows even though the metal bleachers weren't installed yet on many of the rows towards the top. Maybe someone else can confirm if my memory is correct.

Dec 8, 2020, 9:13 PM

'78 Uof SC game was first for the South Stands. I had season tickets in Sec K on north side but SC got that section so I was moved to the new upper deck for the game. I believe I was on the 1st row maybe over sec B or C.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2020, 10:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Does anyone know the history of our upper decks? ]

And the big rumor was that Jean Dixon predicted it was going to give way to crowd. Finally questioned about it, she said she’d never heard of Clemson.

I know one of the decks was built by the

Dec 8, 2020, 8:19 PM

same company that built the Charlotte Motor Speedway pedestrian bridge that collapsed.

Of course that was 20 years newer than the upper decks, so likely not the same architects and engineers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Dec 8, 2020, 8:24 PM

I lived in Johnstone F section, facing the P plant and the stadium in '82 and when the season ended, listened to the pounding all day long as they drove pilings, poured forms and watched the deck be built every day. You could see from there that they were different sized, and at a different pitch too, meaning that closing it in was an unlikely scenario.

Dec 8, 2020, 9:46 PM

The South Deck was limited by the fact that it backs up to the cemetery. There was more room to build the North Deck, plus we had more demand for tickets (and more money) after the 1981 championship.

Dec 8, 2020, 9:57 PM

If I am remembering correctly we also brought in temporary lights in the late 70s or early 80s to play Georgia on national TV at night because until then we never played a night game. After that we added the permanent lights. Actually I think the Georgia game started during the daytime but they were concerned by the time it ended it would be dark so they brought in temporary lights for the second half. I remember they didn’t have a lot of lights and there were all kinds of shadows on the field from the players late in the game.

Back then so few games were on TV. That’s why we always plays at 1 o’clock and USC at 7. It was pretty common back in the 70s and early 80s for people from the lowcountry to go to a Clemson game then stop in Columbia on the way back and buy tickets in the parking lot and go to the South Carolina game that night.

the "home" side was built first and likely limited by the

Dec 8, 2020, 10:25 PM

cemetery on the hill behind it. no real limit on the "visitors" side.

^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^

Dec 8, 2020, 11:44 PM

Home side is definitely squeezed in by the cemetery. The cemetery had squatter's rights, or in this specific case, recliners rights.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2020, 7:26 AM

I was @ Clemson from 80-84. I don't remember $h!t from that time.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic