Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dino comment
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Dino comment

Sep 10, 2019, 3:21 PM

I think Dino was trying to compliment the Tigers recent dominance of the ACC and CFP in recent years. However. his statement that In the last 10-15 years South Caroline was better than Clemson needs some clarification. They were better than Clemson for a period of only 5 years under Steve Spurrier thanks in large part to the resignation of Tommy Bowen. Even though Bowden lacked the ability to win the big ones, he was very good at recruiting. When he resigned and little known Dabo Swinney was named head coach, many SC recruits leaning toward Clemson turned to other schools, mainly SC Gamecocks. The Gamecocks pretty much sweep the state the next 3 years (2009-2011) with Gilmore, Cann, Jeffery, Lattimore, Clowney, Sanders, Quarles,and Shell to name a few. Dabo then began to turn the program around at Clemson and recruits began to flow back to the Tigers once more. The results are showing today. Carolina will never be better than Clemson in the long run. Clemson leads series 70-42-4.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dino comment

Sep 10, 2019, 4:10 PM

You make a good point that the overall series record between Clemson and Scar is 70-42-4 in favor of the Tigers. However, the most amazing statistic from that series is that no games were played at Clemson before 1960. Therefore, for the last 59 years, we have played the even numbered years at Clemson for a total of 30 games. Out of 116 games in the series, a whopping 86 of them have been played in Cootlumbia and 30 in Tigertown. There have been 56 more games played in Cootlumbia than in Clemson, yet the Tigers lead the series by 28 games. Remarkable!

Sep 11, 2019, 12:04 AM

That is not all that is remarkable. In almost every state, particularly in the South, the "University of" has a wide football advantage over the smaller, less funded, less attended or less famous schools called Tech or A&M or State or the like, specializing in engineering, agriculture, military, or generally less disciplines than the big "research" university of the state. Bama/Auburn, Georgia/Tech, Texas/Texas A&M or Tech, UNCheat/NCS, Ole Mrs/MSU. The only one I can think of that is not totally basketball centric that reverses the trend is UVA/V Tech, where Tech has a substantial advantage. But in that case, the teams are about even in home and home exchange and for some reason a number of the games have been played on neutral fields across Virginia. Some states have only one dominant school such that if it even plays the smaller state school it thrashes them be ause they are in a different division (Ohio, Nebraska, Lousiana).

How mediocre must the cluckers be to buck two trends, play half of all total games on their home field before they even play a snap on their rival's field, lose all the advantages of size, centrality, money and politics and yet still have a lopsided number in their loss column head to head?

Re: better than.....

Sep 10, 2019, 4:19 PM

I disagree with the statement that USCe was better than Clemson for 5 years. Did they beat Clemson 5 in a row? yes. But, every one of those games was competitive and only one, that I recall, appeared that they were better than Clemson. Take a look at the next 5 (last 5) and there was only one game that was close in score and the game was not as close as the score indicated. The last three have been blowout victories, including all the slinging JB did last year.
So, while those 5 years hurt, Clemson was still successful in the season and on the field against them. The same can't be said for the last 5. They may be better this year but I don't see a game where they can get within 2 scores of Clemson.

Re: better than.....

Sep 10, 2019, 4:35 PM

Yeah we shouldnt have lost 2009 or 2013... 2010-12 they were clearly better.

Coots were clearly better in 2010 and 2011

Sep 11, 2019, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Re: better than..... ]

Wasn't really even competitive.

The other years, you're correct, though.

With the exception of a five year streak we’ve dominated the chickens

Sep 10, 2019, 4:38 PM

for the better part of the last 50 years. I have to wonder if he’s a coot if he says something that stupid about our series with them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2019, 4:44 PM

Tommy Bowden was NOT a good recruiter. I don’t know why this continues to be such a common misconception among Clemson fans. It’s as vacuous as saying Dabo Swinney is a good manager but doesn’t know Xs and Os. It simply isn’t true. Take a look at Rivals 2003 and 2004. If our current recruiting fell to the level of his best classes people on here would lose their minds.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He had a few good classes but also some awful ones

Sep 10, 2019, 5:17 PM

I seem to recall a class that finished like 64th and had 1 4* recruit.

Re: He had a few good classes but also some awful ones

Sep 10, 2019, 8:30 PM

We were dead last in the ACC in recruiting in 2003 and 8th in 2004 with three 4-star players between both classes. It actually stands to reason that he was a better coach than he gets credit for since he actually managed to win some games and get a lucrative extension with that dirth of talent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2019, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Dino comment ]

Correct

Why is Dino talking about UofSC in his press conference?

Sep 10, 2019, 4:52 PM

they play Clemson on Saturday, and don't play SCAR at all this year?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Everyone here already knows that and nobody outside

Sep 10, 2019, 5:16 PM

of here is likely to care.

Dino needs a beat down for his ridiculous comment.

Sep 11, 2019, 7:34 AM

Clemson won 10 out of 12 before the five in row debacle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic