Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Didn't take long for esecpn to switch
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Didn't take long for esecpn to switch

Jan 14, 2020, 11:16 AM

From lsu winning the natty to how dominant the sec is. Go figure. I guess all the sec helped will lsu to its victory and will be at all the championship parades and celebrations coming up. Rings will be delivered to each school as well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Didn't take long for esecpn to switch

Jan 14, 2020, 11:22 AM

The SEC did have a pretty good bowl season.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 11:27 AM

So the sec won the national championship or did one team ls u win it all. I'm confused.

Jan 14, 2020, 11:32 AM

The sec is the cuddle huddle that never breaks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 14, 2020, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Didn't take long for esecpn to switch ]

Let me help you with that. LSU won the National Championship. If talking heads on TV are talking up the SEC this morning, it may be because in addition to an SEC team winning the title, the rest of the SEC had a great bowl record. One might argue that speaks to the strength of the conference. As I pointed out here before, if the SEC had gone 2-8 in bowls, there would be 25 threads about how that proves the SEC is overrated.

Jan 14, 2020, 11:49 AM

And to be fair to your point - there have been several threads bemoaning the lack of percieved challenge that the ACC Tigers received this year from their in conference and out of conference (thanks USCjr and A&M) schedule - the whole steel sharpens steel or iron sharpens iron or whatever. And there is some truth to that.

I'm not an SEC fanboy (though raised a Gator growing up), but in my mind UGA, Florida, Alabama, Auburn would all better than anyone else the ACC has to offer aside from Clemson - and LSU beat them all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Didn't take long for esecpn to switch ]

Let me help you.

ESPN is tied at the hip with the SEC. So they push narratives, at least via the ESPN.com "articles".

Don't believe me. Then scroll down to see and count how many either SEC posts/articles there are compared to other leagues, and/or how many SEC photos/logos are used when talking about NCAA Football as a whole.

Last year, Clemson whupped the darling and juggernaut of the SEC. Over the next 4-12 weeks, you would see more stories about Bama's return to glory and next year's ranking as well as more stories about UGA (overrated let's admit), UF (overrated as well), Texas A&M (again all hype) and LSU (obviously way way underrated preseason). Then throw in the stories or photos showing Auburn even Tennessee.

You would see 12-15 articles of every other thing besides the reigning National Champion as you scrolled down.

This year, you will see LSU front and center. Followed by Bama and UGA. None of those schools have a starting QB yet? Why are they preseason ranked in top 5?

Why is LSU? Burrow was lightening in a bottle. Next year for LSU, who will play 75% as good as he did this year? LSU goes back to 9-3 or 10-2.

But I expect you not to believe me. Fine. But counting is not biased.

NOTE: There is no need to think I am thinking they need a slew of posts about ACC schools. They should not. But last year... the story was more of what happened to Alabama vs how good Clemson was.

Preseason rankings are dumb and based on last year's finishing. They should wait until after week 3 or 4 to release a ranking.
WHY?
Because it drives bias across journalism, Heisman voters, CFP committees, etc. etc.

ESPN should strive for balance, not bias.

Jan 14, 2020, 11:57 AM

So I'll ask you...do you believe the SEC is the strongest conference? I do and I think you do too. If you and I do, wouldn't pundits and talking heads at ESPN also think that? Do you really see bias when teams like UGA, Florida, A&M, Bama, and Auburn are ranked higher than UVA, VA Tech, FSU, or NC State? Clemson is a great team and would have likely beaten every team in the SEC last year and all but one this year. ESPN voted Clemson #1 in preseason. There is this never ending narrative, in some part advanced by Swinney, that the whole world is conspiring against Clemson. It just isn't so. There are lots of articles about what Dabo is doing at Clemson.

Jan 14, 2020, 12:17 PM

Maybe it says something for Clemson that they delayed talking about the narrative for fear that it would have looked stupid if LSU would have laid an egg. I know the championship is the culmination of bowl season but the rest of the SEC has been done for 2 weeks. That would be the time to talk about the conference, as well as in a few days after the champion has been given their due.

The first couple of days and certainly the first 12 hours should be giving credit to one team, LSU and what they did. At least let them get the coat on before jumping on its tails.

Why tf are you here?

Jan 14, 2020, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Didn't take long for esecpn to switch ]

Do you somehow feel a part of it because it's the SEC?

Worry about your own over recruiting, under performing team.

Re: Why tf are you here?

Jan 14, 2020, 12:44 PM

Why does it always come back to "why are you here?"?

Because you are here. Why?

Jan 14, 2020, 12:46 PM

You don't have anything to add to anything. Just trolling is all.

Re: Because you are here. Why?

Jan 14, 2020, 12:54 PM

I'm just sharing my opinion. Why are you here?

Because this is a Clemson message board and we are

Jan 14, 2020, 12:56 PM

Clemson fans.

Pretty simple to understand; even for a mutt.

Be gone to worry about all that drop off next season.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Because this is a Clemson message board and we are

Jan 14, 2020, 4:25 PM

Mutt? I think we are better than that. Just let the trolls troll, no need to resort to grade school recess.

And this narrative will drive through next season

Jan 14, 2020, 11:24 AM

There are some game that could change the narrative though, like if UNC beats Auburn early in the season. UNC will be sneaky good next year.

Re: And this narrative will drive through next season

Jan 14, 2020, 11:51 AM

I have high hopes for UNC and UL stepping up next year.

One can hope that traditional powers VT and FSU make strides. Miami seems like a lost cause.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

VT is a lost cause

Jan 14, 2020, 12:04 PM

aren't they last in ACC recruiting rankings? Fuente just can't recruit and with the only appeal with Bud Foster gone that program is going to be set back years.

Re: VT is a lost cause

Jan 14, 2020, 12:06 PM

Then I guess we are back to ‘go UNC’!

Jan 14, 2020, 11:27 AM

SEC could lose every game and ESPN would ride that pony. In general SEC fans are shallow and easy to entertain

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Jan 14, 2020, 11:39 AM

You know, SEC homers love to talk up bowl season when they do good. However, when they don't, it's always because they just didn't want to be there. How convenient.

Jan 14, 2020, 11:47 AM

It's pretty rare that as a conference, the SEC doesn't do well during bowl season.

Jan 14, 2020, 11:51 AM

But you have to admit that a large percentage of the Georgia faithful used that "we just didn't want to be there" excuse last year when Texas took you to the woodshed.

Jan 14, 2020, 12:00 PM

And you can count me among them. You will never convince me that the Texas team that beat UGA was a better team. UT's win over UGA lead to fool's gold about how good that Longhorn team was going to be. We saw how that played out. Now, none of that matters. UT won the game but that doesn't make them better.

shameless***

Jan 14, 2020, 12:51 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Didn't take long for esecpn to switch ]

Yes the SEC does usually do well. But you also get to play a lot of Big 10 teams. Heck, even Wake Forest dang near beat Michigan State this year. Probably would have if the QB would have just run the ball instead of throw.

Jan 14, 2020, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Didn't take long for esecpn to switch ]

Not really true. Let's look at "Bowl" seasons during the CFP era. This attempts to remove some of the subjective bias that was rampant during BCS times. SEC is not so dominant since 2014. Beat your chest in 2019-2020, but also remember SEC sucked last year and year before. 2 out of every 6 years, SEC is real good. Otherwise, SEC is by definition average (.500 - 24 wins, 24 losses)

W L
2019 8 2 - good year
2018 6 6 - .500
2017 5 6 - below .500
2016 6 7 - below .500
2015 9 2 - good year
2014 7 5 - barely above .500
Totals 41 28 .594

New Year's Day 6 Bowls (Non CFP Semi-Finals)
W L
2014 0 2
2015 1 0
2016 1 1
2017* 0 1
2018 2 1
2019 2 0
Totals 6 5 - Barely above .500

CFP Playoff / Nat'l Champ
W L
2014 0 1
2015 1 0
2016 0 1
2017* 3 1
2018 1 1
2019 2 0
Totals 7 4 - Lookee there. Doing well.

* But 2017 helps that a little bit with the silly Bama lobbied to get in when it did not even win its division. 2017 is the year of Ridiculous as it had UGA and Bama were both in CFP. Bama should not have been in. CFP should make it where at least you have to win your division if not your conference.

Jan 14, 2020, 12:37 PM

You isolated years covering the playoff era. There are two sub-500 years there and the SEC is still 13 games over 500 overall. If you keep moving back, 10 years from this season, the SEC has one 500 season and is 30-18 during those years. In short, in the past 10 years the SEC has two sub-500 years and is 25 games over 500 in bowls. That seems pretty good.

Jan 14, 2020, 11:41 AM

we killed this narritive last year for a while but it always comes back. I hate we have aided the perception this year

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 12:01 PM

Who cares what ESpn thinks. You guys need to quit listening to their bull crap if you are going to let it bother you so much. I only care about one team and that is Clemson. If we win the ACC next year and get another Natty I do not care if espn dogs us to the ground. I have not seen game day all year and only watch Clemson games on their network. I do not even watch sportscenter. I saw where someone said Desmond Howard said something well who cares his team can't win the little old big ten so he has no room to talk. Just remember at the end of the day these so called experts only have an opinion and we all know what they say about opinions. I guess when you have not won a national championship the only thing you can do is come on our boards and promote the sec.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 12:14 PM

The SEC SEC thing is brilliant. If you are an average or underachieving SEC team you won a National Championship last night, on the other hand if you are an "independent thinking" team like Alabama you are reloading.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 12:39 PM

No other fanbase of an SEC team believes their team won anything last night. Why SEC, SEC? Because it matters. All you need to do is scroll the threads here to see it matters.

Jan 14, 2020, 2:07 PM

The coots won a Natty last night even though their trophy case doesn't reflect.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic