Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Didn't see the 'Cuse game. Is Maryland CFP-bound this year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,463

Didn't see the 'Cuse game. Is Maryland CFP-bound this year

Sep 9, 2019, 1:06 PM

or is Syracuse that bad? Can looking ahead to a bigger game make you lose the smaller game by 43 points??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Didn't see the 'Cuse game. Is Maryland CPF-bound this year

Sep 9, 2019, 1:58 PM

I said it before that game (Cuse/MD) that the safe bet was MD...everything I've read speaks to the fact that SU is treating this week's game as the biggest in SU football history; and so, I predicted that they wouldn't show up against MD because they were looking ahead. And can you blame them, ever since the schedule was announced SU has been hyping it up as the biggest football game in their history, they've made it their homecoming game (what?!) and so there was no surprise their heads weren't in the MD game. That said, I think MD will be better than people thought this year, but that blowout was simply a result of SU looking ahead. SU has gotten much better but they're a LONG ways away from knowing how to "be there" and it showed. I trust we'll see a very different SU team this weekend as it's clear they pushed all their chips in for the game against us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Didn't see the 'Cuse game. Is Maryland CPF-bound this year

Sep 9, 2019, 7:45 PM

I listened to Babers' comments after the game. He sounded just like TB: "when you win, you're not as good as you think; when you lose, you're not as bad." But guess what, Coach: if you assume you're not as bad as you looked last Saturday, you might be doomed to repeat it.

I like Dino. Once he settled down he gave good answers.

His comments:
1. After the lackluster (according to Syracuse radio announcers) victory on the road at Liberty, the young Cuse players thought they were pretty good and failed to respond well to the coaching staff. He says that nothing makes players respond to their coaches like getting their tails whupped. Remember his team is not very deep; when a player with starting talent makes an execution mistake (not an effort mistake), you can't just pull him out for 3 plays without hurting your team. You have to hope they grow up fast. Dabo was the same way before we got the depth we have now. When TJ Green used to screw up, Dabo would chew him out during the TV timeout and then send him back in. You have to let your best players play through the mistakes.

2. Poor tackling and bad angles. LBs and DBs missed guys in space so poorly they sometimes didn't even slow the ballcarrier down. He considers tackling to be a strength of the team. Don't expect this on Saturday.

2B. Conditioning. When plays are extended, and players expend extra energy chasing, the hot conditions and lack of depth take a serious toll on your starting players.

3. Getting away from the running game. Cuse trailed so quickly in that game that he didn't consider it worthwhile to run the ball. He gave Devito a chance to air it out, and he was happy with the result.

4. Except for the 2 turnovers, which he kind of expected. He said MD's DEs were very fast, especially since they were just shooting to the outside, so when Devito stepped up in the pocket he needs to learn he has only bought 3 steps to get rid of the ball. He will see on tape that his turnovers were due to assuming the DEs were out of the play.

Overall, I think MD has some electric ball carriers, but several of their big plays came from Cuse' inside LBs over pursuing to the outside. That's bad football. You always force the ball carrier to where the help is, and if there is no help you make him run East-West. Ohio St and Penn St won't be cracking that door enough for MD the exploit. So, no I don't think MD is that good. I think Syracuse was that bad on Saturday, but won't be against us.

Also, don't underestimate the effect of a young team playing on the road. I think the bookies consider Home field to be worth about 6 points, but for a young team the Away Disadvantage can be about 16-20 points. Our young team is going to need to be very mature in their approach to this game.

UMD has some deadly speed at the skill positions

Sep 9, 2019, 2:03 PM

lots of big plays where they just outran the Cuse D

Where's all the Cuse fans that told me Devito was so good? he's the same Devito I saw last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they gonna put a hurtin on ohio st***

Sep 9, 2019, 2:06 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember when West Virginia made a run at CFP

Sep 9, 2019, 3:35 PM

it will be like that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remember when West Virginia made a run at CFP

Sep 15, 2019, 12:13 AM

I guess now you guys know different.

MD might not even be bowl-eligible once all their dust has settled.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,463
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic