Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Didn't Cam Newton play in a spread offense?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,171

Didn't Cam Newton play in a spread offense?

May 26, 2016, 11:27 PM

Brady Quinn is a joke. DW will be a heck of a QB at the next level.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I second that. Besides, if Brady Quinn knew

May 27, 2016, 12:26 AM

anything, he would still be playing.

BTW, didn't he play for Lou Holtz? Enough said.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, he played for Charlie Weiss. That's almost as bad.***

May 27, 2016, 12:30 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Didn't Cam Newton play in a spread offense?

May 27, 2016, 7:09 AM

Cam did. But that traditional spread offense doesn't transition well in the league. They've had to modify the spread for Cam Newton. What makes it easier for Cam is that he can throw from the pocket, very much like Deshaun.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Re: Didn't Cam Newton play in a spread offense?

May 27, 2016, 8:03 AM

Cam Newton's offense at Auburn was a spread with a read option. He runs a similar offense at Carolina. The read option started in college and eventually came to the NFL. Initially, it confused most defenses and it took defensive coordinators a while to adjust. A read option with a talented athlete like Cam Newton and Watson is very tough to stop. In my opinion, Watson has a much better arm than Cam Newton and is more shifty on his feet. Watson will do very well in the NFL with any offense he is in. That is my two cents.

it doesn't hurt that cam is 6'5", 260 - he's a big, athletic

May 27, 2016, 8:17 AM

man, capable of withstanding punishment and at times delivering his own.

RG III, 6'2" and 220, not so much - he came out in his rookie year en fuego, then poof - the nfl took his legs and his game.

DW has incredible arm talent and has shown, last year vs his rookie campaign that he can think his way in the running game, knowing when to step out or go down before contact.

the nfl is full of faster, bigger guys that will make those timely decisions, critical to his longevity.

the cam comparisons are difficult, they're not many big men that can do what he does.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tend to agree with you about Cam' size

May 27, 2016, 8:49 AM

But don't you think it helps DW to watch RG3 flame out and have Cam as a mentor/friend?

that's where i was leading when i mentioned dw's improvement

May 27, 2016, 9:03 AM

or headiness in the run game. the biggest concern going into 2015 was dw's ability to stay healthy considering his devil-may-care approach to toting the rock - he's a competitor, spunky and took some shots in 2014 he needed to avoid in 2015 and he did.

i'm no brady quinn fanboy, but bq's not wrong about the numbers of it's better to flame out, than fade away, spreadcentric qbs. i don't believe he gives dw enough credit[some bias] for his arm talent and ability to adjust his game; dw will absolutely need to do so or the nfl will make him pay. also, dw has been in practice and at important times in big games, under center, something some spread qbs don't do until the nfl.

if dw puts up another 4,000/1,000 type year, i don't see how an nfl team in need of a qb can pass him by in the draft.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,171
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic