Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Defensive Performance - 1 of 2 explanations
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,616

Defensive Performance - 1 of 2 explanations

Nov 25, 2018, 2:15 PM

Let me make it clear that I am ecstatic about another win over Sakerlina, being 12-0 and a clear path to the CFP. Like most of you, I also have some concerns about the defense. Trying to rationalize, I feel as though 1 of 2 explanations has to be true as to why the defense struggled: Either it was a fluke or our defense/secondary was truly exposed.

It could be a fluke because they ran a gimmicky offense aimed at snapping the ball as soon as they were set, throwing the ball long and over the middle over and over, hoping for big plays. It could also be a fluke because the defense truly had a bad night, didn’t prepare as they should’ve, or was totally caught off guard by their game plan.

It could be a real question mark for all of the obvious reasons. Middle of the field consistently left wide open, pressure was lacking on most drives, etc.

I’m leaning towards fluke. Their success was not indicative of their offense all year or our defense. They had to abandon the run and just toss it and pray. And h e l l, sometimes you just flat our bring your F game in some phases while the other team brings their A game.

How else would Arky put up 30+ on Alabama? Sometimes crazy things just happen. The most disappointing aspect of the entire situation is giving forehead and the rest of the short bus any silver lining whatsoever. Bottom line is, the game was never truly in question and it’s another dominant win over that garbage program that will never be relevant outside of the borders of this state.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Defensive Performance - 1 of 2 explanations

Nov 25, 2018, 2:17 PM

I honestly think the players likely heard all week how we would drub South Carolina and just took them lightly.

Nov 25, 2018, 2:18 PM

A little of both, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I felt Coots would fast tempo since noticed Bently & team were using it in earlier games...

Nov 25, 2018, 2:29 PM

and makes sense to speed it up a little more if possible which would negate our great pass rush enough to expose our “not worked against much” Dbacks who were a bit confused with all the fast & open receivers due to LB’ers not playing up to snuff themselves.

Saying..smart game plan & Coots were red hot & cocky from 1st drive til end.

But, still lost by 21 points when Vegas guessed 26.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 2:30 PM

Secondary exposed and surprised more teams haven't done anything but throw the ball. It's getting real close to "paying the piper" time.

Nov 25, 2018, 2:58 PM

Middle of the field has been an issue all year and where is the extra corner instead of playing all those safeties?

Nov 25, 2018, 2:43 PM

HittingBallsMakingLaws

During fall camp and even some in the spring our defense has a Georgia Tech session during practice; dedicated to just them. Some principles can be applied to all opponents but it's geared to being familiar with GT. During game we it obviously gets ramped up. I believe SCareliner had a similar package during their practices this year geared toward what Coach V likes to do. The long glares over to the sideline were negated and cats were out of position. In some cases, played the wrong leverage and technique. Our players are of the sort they should be able to "think on the fly" and communicate to the rest of the defense what they see. Like a good defensive basketball team; you have got to talk. We are use to looking to the sidelines. The Gamecocks just took a page from Cuse is all and have been working those unique formations probably for a while getting better and better each week ready to catch us with them! It worked; but no well enough!
If they are into moral victories - guess they can be happy! That's all they have though!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 4:00 PM

You are right in that they did look a lot like Syracuse in that fast tempo , quick snap offense . They tried slowing their pace down in the past and they knew that wouldn't work .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 4:09 PM

Well to be fair our coaches had no film that showed any coots catching the ball so what they saw was
new to them .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 5:57 PM

They picked up that we almost always shift before the sand when we set the D, they were v very quick on the play calls and snapped the ball during the shift, D line was moving sideways during the snap vs up field or in their gaps. Was surprised this did not get corrected. Other than that Tanner Muse got scorched twice and the gimmick plays worked, even after they made the adjustment.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,616
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic