Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Danny Ford says college football is taking 'great gamble' playing this fall
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

TNET: Danny Ford says college football is taking 'great gamble' playing this fall

Aug 1, 2020, 12:48 PM

Danny Ford says college football is taking 'great gamble' playing this fall

Former Clemson football coach Danny Ford is concerned about the future of college football during the COVID-19 pandemic. FOX Carolina did an exclusive interview Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This man is a red pill taker from way back. Danny don't BS

Aug 1, 2020, 1:19 PM

himself or anyone else.

Tell it like it is Coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Danny - love you - but no chance of that

Aug 1, 2020, 1:33 PM

There probably will be a death, maybe a few. But that being said, who is to say that those same people would not have passed at their home or in their bubble?
Just because you are not playing football does not mean you are safe. Not the same, but people die every year of the flu (yes, this is worse). Or heat stroke, or heart problem, or most anything. Nothing like this will end football.

It may - shut it down for the remainder of the season if so many players are positive.

The only way to end the virus threat is for everyone to lock down for about a month (in the world). Of course then, no food, no drugs to sustain life, no medical help so many more will die than the virus will take.

According to the CDC there have been 202 deaths from age 15-24. The best guess is that many or even most if not all of those had underlying issues that even the regular flu might have gotten.

Simply, if no underlying issue, live your life, use safety precautions, avoid family with underlying conditions.

Move to North Dakota or live your life.

JMO anyway.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Danny - love you - but no chance of that

Aug 1, 2020, 2:19 PM

How about South Dakota instead? I like their governor.

Aug 1, 2020, 2:37 PM

Enjoy your stay!

Aug 2, 2020, 2:56 AM [ in reply to Danny - love you - but no chance of that ]

"According to the CDC there have been 202 deaths from age 15-24. The best guess is that many or even most if not all of those had underlying issues that even the regular flu might have gotten."

Best guess? Now exactly how many 15-24 year olds have co-morbidities bad enough for the flu to kill them? The flu kills older people and those who are immunocompromised or have numerous co-morbidities...not to mention the flu has a VACCINE! This is nothing like the flu. This is HIGHLY contaigous. I'm not discounting economics and quality of life but this stuff kills.
About 5% have lung damage which may be and probably is permanent, neurological issues, kidney problems and pick the organ of choice or even have a stroke from the mass # of blood clots that pop up in these cases. That has happened and is happening. We have multiple mutated strains-is one vaccine going to work on all of them?-maybe-maybe not.I work around this #### stuff. This flippant attitude is exactly what has made this disease spike to worse levels than the worst times before quarantine.

Avoid family with underlying issues-really-those are the only ones getting sick? 20-29 year olds-perfectly healthy die for no apparent reason with CV 19. The research has not determined why some people die, some get long lasting debilities, some have various degrees of severity which are less and some have very little symptoms at all..

And guess what-most of the 15 to 24 group have been doing online courses. Hanging out with mom and dad or room mates. What happens when they go back in the mix? Do you know when most young adults get sick?..when they go back to school as they're exposed to crap they haven't been around.

"Nothing like this will end football" There's a campaign slogan! Put a bunch of people in a stadium screaming hurling their infected spit at least 27 feet, huffing and puffing from the heat and beer bellies, lined up 6 inches apart in bathroom lines breathing down your neck, piled up in concession lines.There is no freaking way you can just stick your head in the sand or elsewhere and believe it won't create more spread and more deaths. And is it that because somebody might die from something else then just ignore them with COVID-they're just write offs?

This is not a subject that you casually chat about. It's something you talk with the utmost seriousness.
I've sat in the Valley for over 50 years, make the road trips,season tickets-the whole deal. As much as I love it, I shudder at the thought of these kids getting sick...and if they do-someone will die who belongs to some mommy and daddy somewhere. Tell them he must have had underlying problems and would have died anyway so get over it.

One thing this pandemic has made glaring clear is that it is not about us, it is about others. You wear your mask to protect others and others wear theirs to protect you. We protect others, we have limited ability to protect ourselves. Level 3 surgical masks provide little protection for the wearer-they were designed to keep a sterile field in the OR-to keep the surgeons germs from getting to the patient. Other than N95 masks, that's all any of them are designed to do.It does not work the other way around. How many people are going to keep their masks on in Sept heat?

I guess this comes down to natural selection. Only the strong and not terribly stupid survive.

1 death is a tragedy, 1000 is a statistic or in this case 202. And yes this is a real hot button for me so forgive my blunt approach. Have people die from it that you know, or have just seen around casually-then it hits home. I honestly pray you don't suffer that or anyone else...but please take it seriously. BTW, the CDC no longer gets all the stats. They are directly reported to a private company contracted under Health and Human Services...I'm not even going to go there but...just be aware that from like earlier in this month and now on, your stats, like the 202, will be coming from people looking to repaint the picture and will tell you only what they think or want you to know and couple that with brilliant statements like "Our numbers will look better if we stop testing so much" coming from POTUS-the most powerful man in the world. Let's stop counting immigrants or anything else we may not like.(I don't dislike immigrants but just a political example) Just know there is a lot more to this than you see on the news which has already become evident...and I'm not talking about conspiracy theories-just the nature of the virus itself.

Though I jumped all over you, I do wish you well. You just happened to write the wrong thing at the wrong time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hate to tell you and Danny, Skitch

Aug 2, 2020, 11:54 AM

But there is no “vaccine” for any flu virus. In fact, we have few vaccines for viruses as a whole. We have a flu shot which may mitigate your chances of getting the flu. There are vaccines for polio, small pox and measles. Thus, with a vaccine it is implied that you are immune.
There are no vaccines for a flu virus or coronavirus and with slim odds of one being developed. Covid-19 is an RNA virus that mutates (like all other RNA). A possible scenario may be a shot that mitigates the deadlier strain(s) and/or a medication that slows the virus from multiplying rapidly (like Tamiflu).

Oh, horsecrap . . .

Aug 2, 2020, 12:40 PM

There may not be a universal flu vaccine, but that doesn't mean there aren't any!

Re: Hate to tell you and Danny, Skitch

Aug 2, 2020, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Hate to tell you and Danny, Skitch ]

There are vaccines for some flu viruses but yes they do mutate and people can get the "flu" again. In that sense, you could say there is no flu vaccine based on the virus not being the same as what you took your "shot" for. It changes enough that the vaccine has to be reformulated every year so you get a new flu shot every year. The antigenic"drift"(versus a shift) is usually small in these types of viruses and so a specific formulation vaccine MAY still recognize a mutated virus. SARS 2 viruses(i.e the common cold) of which CO_VID-19 is a member,have relatively large shifts (as opposed to drifts which are relatively small) which is why no one has ever created a vaccine for the common cold. While there are multiple variants from the original CO-VID 19 strain in the mix now, and have been, a few weeks ago they discovered a much more infectious strain. Thus far, the severity of disease caused has not been found to be more severe-yet.

There are numerous different vaccines( which I define as an agent which hopefully induces an effective immune response) being developed which are all different. Most likely we will need more than one though that doesn't get any press. This is all basic immunology-a specific antibody can likely cover a few minor drifts but in the classic sense of what we think of as vaccines-this is not a one and done deal. Your opponent can change largely at any point in time to where your defenses cannot use their antigenic memories, if you will, to provide defense.

One vaccine is taking a rather a unique approach. I do not know the specifics but as I understand it, their approach is to develop one that basically rewrites the rna to a benign sequence so that when it infects cells-it can do nothing(That is my very very generalized understanding but specifics may be quite different) Something of this nature would be potentially more effective on a wider variety of strains.

Bottom line is that this stuff is now with us. Just like the common cold, it's not going away. Herd immunity is our best hope IMHO. There is no one drug that has consistently been effective against the virus itself. Treatment has mainly been supportive with the bulk of effort being aimed at understanding all the different things the SOB does. The call it novel because nobody has seen this sheet before-not like this, not one that involved a receptor that resides in just about every different organ in the body. BTW, the ACE II receptor are in your nose and on your tongue which is why some people lose their sense of smell and taste.

Anyway-your comments add to all the more reasons that doing football is not such a great idea. I guess in the end it could end up being a test of how much economic damage can we take before some mitigating avenue of treatment/prevention.

And while we ponder this, Congress sits on their collective arses whining about specifics of how they will structure this and that to give money to the suffering.
At the moment, give money to people who have no food, no shelter, losing their shelter, don't have enough money to take care of their children and don't give it to Walmart, Amazon, or some car company-you stupid idiots. Winter will arrive and the strain on people will be dramatically worse. The group in Congress now represents perhaps the lowest IQ that as ever existed in those bodies before. It's really pathetic-let's suspend Congressional paychecks and see what happens.

Meantime, Godspeed to us all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2020, 2:12 PM

Saying that your analogy is correct, isn't also possible that the mutation can weaken into something less dangerous than the common cold or the yearly flu strain which about all these types of viruses are a cousin to in a sense???

Aug 3, 2020, 2:11 AM

Yes you could have a mutation to a less harmful form. However, if it is less virulent,the body handles it much easier, herd immunity develops and it may disappear completely. Survival of the fittest.Only the strong survive type of scenario. The more virulent strains infect more people and cells and replicates itself-makes new viral particles with RNA transcripted from RNA of the parent virus.

If we develop herd immunity(a critical # of people who are resistant), the virus dies off or at least decreases the yearly case #'s very low.

It's like USuC-consider them virus (freeloaders) They put a team on the field hand picked by Muschamp.

As this virus attacks like football, the weaker players get their arses kicked and Muschump pulls them out and throws in more "mutants". Unfortunately all his mutants are weak little guys who get killed.No time for herd immunity to develop a-they're all dead b-the people who could be infected leave the stands so fast that the viruses can't catch them. The rest of the mutants sit on the bench knowing they'll never play for even USuC and they just die off.

Clemson, on the other hand, acts like a bad #### vaccine. It biatch slaps (metaphorically)everybody else's viral mutants(which includes that idiot Todd Ellis) and sends them home to the great Virus maker in Columbia-or Wuhan-same difference
Clemson is the cure for the virus USuC.The more viruses that attack Clemson just makes Clemson make more antibodies to kick their mutant arses in large numbers. We kick so many viral arses, including the infestation in Alabama, that few virus teams survive that run into the Tigers. Their is a viral strain-the "whiny strain" at Ohio State that when the two teams meet, the tigers stomp on their little mutants while the while coach says it ain't fair. Too bad punk, you're just not virulent enough to do the job. Go home and pick up your nuts! Now Pail Finebaum is a bacterial infection like a big zit and the Tigers come along and squeeze his little head into space with a big pop. Beat enough teams-we win the national championship...and so goes the viral analogy.

Right . . .

Aug 2, 2020, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Hate to tell you and Danny, Skitch ]

and this is exactly why it's misleading to say that there's no flu vaccine. It's well known that the flu mutates, and that the yearly flu vac is tailored to the most common or threatening strain(s), yet just doesn't stop anyone from calling it a vaccine - and with knowledge that one could get a minority strain. The connotation rarely implies that it's one and done.

Right . . .

Aug 2, 2020, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Hate to tell you and Danny, Skitch ]

and this is exactly why it's misleading to say that there's no flu vaccine. It's well known that the flu mutates, and that the yearly flu vac is tailored to the most common or threatening strain(s), yet just doesn't stop anyone from calling it a vaccine - and with knowledge that one could get a minority strain. The connotation rarely implies that it's one and done.

Re: Right . . .

Aug 2, 2020, 7:47 PM

Walgreens calls it a flu shot. I call it a flu shot. Never heard it called a flu vaccine... That would be a lie.

Aug 2, 2020, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny - love you - but no chance of that ]

I dont think you jumped on me - nor do I think it was the wrong post at the wrong time.

Facts are facts and choices are choices.

Both of us do not know what will happen and this is simply conjecture. The CDC is the best data - rather than making more of it up.
I do not take this lightly - and as my wife works in a childrens hospital - i do get a lot of data and truth.

yes, there are some ugly consequences to the elderly and sick. clear data shows I (at 61) am much more likely to have issues with Covid. The problem to me is - first - why did Jack and Barbara Nicklaus at 83 both get it and merely had a runny nose and others pass away? Why do the 14-24 and under group almost have no deaths? Yes, one is too many. But again - do you really believe that kids of that age will not get it if they stay home? I have a 18, 23, 27 year old and while I preach safety - they all still spend time with others, forget or dont wear their mask, not sanitize their hands, etc - like i would want them to. So - if the teams and players are tested - would it not be better for them - then hanging with their buddies? I think so.
then - if the choice is to not play. ok - but for how long? forever? While we all wish there was a cure for the truly sick (although there seems to be one that does work - but the media hates because Trump supported the data) - one may never be found to prevent anyone getting it. So what then?
it is my opinion that we all will be getting it at some point. Do i want it - nope. But if it is this contagious - and even a few people in the world have it - just like when China had it in the beginning - it will spread. The only way to stop it is not possible. Total world shutdown.

So - it is back to choices and living with the consequences. While I will be careful, I choose to live. If players dont want to play - i support that. If they do - i support that as well.

I did not and dont take your words personal.
Stay safe as well.

Re: TNET: Danny Ford says college football is taking 'great gamble' playing this fall

Aug 1, 2020, 2:05 PM

Danny makes some valid points.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: TNET: Danny Ford says college football is taking 'great gamble' playing this fall

Aug 1, 2020, 3:00 PM

Let’s play the full schedule with 80;000 fans. I’m almost 80 and I’m willing to sacrifice my life so you young guys can watch the Tigers. I’ll be there too. Until!

Aug 1, 2020, 3:06 PM

What about the health of the players? I think that is Danny's primary concern.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Aug 1, 2020, 3:09 PM

Coach Ford is a wise man. This IS a BIG gamble, involving many,many lives.

Aug 1, 2020, 4:20 PM

I agree with Danny. Too many unanswered questions, too many players and coaches. We are talking about the lives of humans. Pains me to say it but football can wait...

Aug 1, 2020, 8:53 PM

I don't have all that many seasons left, but I'll be OK if they don't play this season. If one player or one coach losing their life from the virus, the season will be a loser!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

Aug 1, 2020, 10:35 PM

The Covid narrative has changed from “we can’t overwhelm the health care system” to “we can’t tolerate any loss of life period”

This logic is absurd considering people have a chance to die every year from something. If we continue all these lockdowns and restrictions, what we shell of an economy we have left will not be a world worth coming back to.

Open it up, take some precautions but let’s get on with our lives and SPOT THE ### BALL!

Aug 2, 2020, 12:19 AM

I think allinallorangeallthetime52 means losing one of OUR players or coaches. I kinda' know what he is saying if it is OUR guys. For example, I REALLY don't want to lose Dabo to Covid-19.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Aug 2, 2020, 2:17 AM

I would rather not have FB if it means losing just one player or one coach from any team just to have a FB season. No parent or no kid should lose either when it could have been avoided!!!

Aug 2, 2020, 4:47 PM

Exactly! No game is worth a loss of life (or lives) due to bad decisions made during a pandemic.

--Henry David Thoreau

Aug 2, 2020, 7:51 PM

Then we shouldn't play the very dangerous sport of football. And you should be ready to wear a mask at all times during the flu season in perpetuity.

I understand the points on risk, but if we are teaching properly, the students are 18. They can choose. Keep your scholly. Sit out. No questions asked.

Exactly. ***

Aug 2, 2020, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Danny Ford says college football is taking 'great gamble' playing this fall ]

H

This is more proof that men do mellow as they...

Aug 1, 2020, 4:23 PM

...get older. The Danny I knew would have been ready to spot the ball.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is more proof that men do mellow as they...

Aug 2, 2020, 1:46 PM

And in war, what age group do we send out to do battle and get most of the casualties? Perhaps its time to learn from our mistakes. And I do believe Danny would be glad to come over, if invited, to explain it to you up close and personal-you know the guy that would have spotted the ball.

Aug 1, 2020, 4:55 PM

Wavers, Coach.....wavers.

Aug 2, 2020, 2:07 PM

Why are people so concerned about the opinion of a former coach who left Clemson for Arkansas?

Aug 2, 2020, 2:22 PM

Danny didn't leave for Arkansas bc it was a better job, Danny was forced out or risk losing a ton of money owed to him by Clemson University. Yes he did uppen the amount to walk away peacefully, but any of us would have done the same if it were one of us in the same situation!!!! Plus at the ripe old age that he is, he surely has a right to his own opinion when ask. And I'm also sure that he didn't sit around studying about what he would say if ask, and even if he did, I don't believe he was studying all the negatives he could think of to say. I believe that he gave his honest opinion bc Danny don't hate Clemson, he may dislike how the powers back then treated him, but he don't hate Clemson!!!!

Aug 2, 2020, 2:40 PM

Guess sarcasm is hard to project on a message board.

Well well well, what an interesting conundrum this is.

Aug 2, 2020, 7:54 PM

Danny Ford, our former coach who can do no wrong in the eyes of many of our fans, acknowledging the risks of a football season this year - risks that many of our fans think don’t exist or aren’t important. Fans who criticize anyone who doesn’t want to have a normal season this year.

I’ll get the popcorn. BRB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Aug 3, 2020, 4:15 PM

this is true With Age Comes Wisdom.

Coach Ford Is Correct.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic