Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Daniel Rodriguez
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Daniel Rodriguez

Apr 12, 2019, 7:43 AM

May have missed...any news on Daniel Rodriguez and what he's up to...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Daniel Rodriguez

Apr 12, 2019, 9:41 AM

Last thing I've seen on him:
https://www.armytimes.com/off-duty/military-sports/2017/07/24/army-combat-vet-clemson-grad-daniel-rodriguez-embraces-life-after-football/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2019, 9:40 PM

Sounds like he has really grown up

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

TriStar Productions won a bidding war for film rights to Rod

Apr 12, 2019, 9:58 AM

TriStar Productions won a bidding war for film rights to Rodriguez's book — "Rise: A Soldier, a Dream and a Promise Kept," (this is old news, but I wish it would be made into a movie?_
This is an excellent book, esp. for veterans and those who want to understand why soldiers get PTSD! And it would make an outstanding movie...

Do not care

Apr 12, 2019, 10:25 AM

Appreciate his service to our country & the publicity he brought Clemson, but the guy is a complete tool

Re: Do not care

Apr 12, 2019, 10:36 AM

Just curious 2013 - why do you say that?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Re: Do not care

Apr 12, 2019, 11:07 AM

I know some Clemson fans were turned off by his comments before the draft.

"It was kind of unfortunate; I wanted to get more playing time at Clemson. I felt that I was good enough to play," Rodriguez said. "But I wasn't on scholarship; the reality is they're going to play the people they're invested in. In the NFL, they're going to play the best. It's not as political as it is in college."

He was behind Scott, Humphries, Williams, Peake and Hopper. All except for Hopper are still in the league. Add Leggett to the list also as a TE.

If that’s a reason to call someone a tool, I don’t think I know many

Apr 12, 2019, 11:10 AM

people who aren’t tools.

That one comment was poor. That’s not a reason to turn your back on a formerClemson player and war veteran, in my opinion.

null

See my other post

Apr 12, 2019, 4:45 PM

Swarley

The guy's just an azzhole, sorry if that hurts your feelings

But hey, he's earned the right to be that way

Re: See my other post

Apr 12, 2019, 6:11 PM

That guy is a hero and it has nothing to do with him playing football at Clemson......just like all the other veterans who served this country.....Go Tigers!!!!!

Apr 12, 2019, 6:32 PM

On the other hand, a lot of bad people have served in the military too...serial killers, mobsters, etc etc. Doesn't make everyone great that has served.

Apr 12, 2019, 6:47 PM

Their are bad people in every group .....but Daniel is not one of them.....it is because of people like him we are free and have the best country in the world.....and no one should take that for granted......because many paid a heavy price just like my uncle who died in WWII at the young age of 21.....so I never got to meet him......Go Tigers!!!!!!

Apr 12, 2019, 7:41 PM

True. I was playing devil's advocate. There were bad people who fought for us in every war. Daniel is not one of them. Sorry about your uncle. My Mom never met her uncle either, my Grandpa's brother. He is buried in Normandy France having been killed in WWII.

Right, but you missed the point

Apr 13, 2019, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Re: See my other post ]

The fact that he is a military hero is separate from him being a jerk around campus. It is what it is.

Like I said, I have a lot of respect for everybody who has served, including Drod. That's not not what I am getting at. Some people can't separate the two

Video of him working out with Adam when

Apr 12, 2019, 6:56 PM [ in reply to If that’s a reason to call someone a tool, I don’t think I know many ]

getting ready for NFL draft was one of the mist intense I have ever seen, they were the best of friends. Daniel was smaller than Adam, but faster. If you read RISE, you would respect him immediately. I am a veteran, and met him in an AllStar game. He was as fast as another guy who made it in the pros in the same game. Daniel got a concussion working out for St. Louis, and decided not to go pro. RESPECT!

Went to school with him

Apr 12, 2019, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Do not care ]

Met him a couple times. He's just kind of an #######, although I guess he has earned the right to carry himself however he wants

In addition, I wasn't a fan of his comments regarding Dabo and the program in general after he left...said his playing time was "limited" due to "politics" - dude is 5'6" and had 6 future NFL WRs ahead of him on the depth chart. Right, politics.

Re: Went to school with him

Apr 12, 2019, 5:14 PM

OK - thanks CU2013. I had seen similar posts before and was just curious what precipitated the remarks. I certainly admire him for his military service - but know nothing of him personally.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Re: Went to school with him

Apr 13, 2019, 2:35 PM

Agree, It's hard to bring that up and put it bluntly because people are sensitive and will take it the wrong way

Apr 12, 2019, 11:05 AM

He represents the best of of Clemson’s military and football traditions as well as the average graduate. I am reminded of a comment by one of my professors many years ago. Prof had met an executive of a very large company at a conference and the executive said, “ we have two of your graduates and they are great. Do you have anymore like that?” Prof told him, “they are all like that.”.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2019, 4:48 PM

Best response ever!

Go Tigers!!!

Apr 12, 2019, 7:16 PM

Met him. Know him very well. I was stationed at Quantico and we met for a dinner and conversation right after Dabo texted him while he was in class at Germanna Community College. I sold Clemson harder to Daniel than anyone I've ever sold Clemson to. He was immediately excited to come down and I took him to Clemson for his first trip (Spring game). I still remember introducing him to Adam Humphries and saying, "You need to learn from this guy!"

Anyway, this guy has gone through more before 25 years of age than many have in a lifetime. Lost his father (who was actually the Athletic Director at the High School on base at Quantico) just after his parents initiated a divorce - all of this shook up his life quite a bit. It's tough to understand without hearing every detail. He decided to join the Army, and his life was in complete disarray, especially with his time overseas. Then, Dan Rather catches his story, Dabo texts him, we take a trip to Clemson, and he enters the media spotlight overnight. Then, while being surrounded by classmates that have absolutely no understanding of anything outside of their parents' protection (as highlighted by a poster in this thread), especially no understanding of giving a little bit (or a lot) of yourself to our country, he's expected to act and display himself in a way that pleases everyone.... Because everyone is definitely watching.

Bottom line: unless you're a veteran that has experienced some of these stressors in your life, be careful to judge him. You have little insight into what's going on between his ears. Quite frankly, be appreciative that at an age you could go to college and your only worry was your next test, your next intramural frisbee game, or your entry-level job, Daniel was watching his friends and leaders being killed in a situation where his own life is uncertain.

I'll put my name on the line for Daniel anyday.

... And to answer the original question, he's doing great. He's traveling around the world conducting speaking engagements with huge businesses, athletic programs, and even veterans/servicemembers. He's finally reached some normalcy in his life and he's enjoying every minute of it.

Apr 12, 2019, 7:37 PM

When you see him again tell him thanks for all he’s done for our country and my school. Thank you as well for your device.

Apr 12, 2019, 8:20 PM

Will do!

Appropriate and well-appreciated perspective. Thanks.***

Apr 12, 2019, 7:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Daniel Rodriguez ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2019, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Daniel Rodriguez ]

Thanks Marine!

This thread suggests......

Apr 12, 2019, 8:20 PM

....there is no shortage of azzholes associated with Clemson, more than ready to trash talk a Clemson grad, former jock, and a vet pretty quickly when his name comes up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This thread suggests......

Apr 12, 2019, 8:29 PM

These same idiots will be laying on some psychologists couch when they're 40 years old. They'll finally come to the realization that their entire life means nothing to anyone other than themselves.

But this man in this topic is not the first one to say it

Apr 12, 2019, 8:42 PM [ in reply to This thread suggests...... ]

I have seen stuff about Rodrigis being a jerk before. The people that say it already know he is a veteran, Clemson Tiger man and so on. But they still say it. So there has to be some reason, they wouldn't just make it up or if it wasn't a big deal they just would not mention it.

Apr 12, 2019, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Daniel Rodriguez ]

Thank you so much for your comments and explanation, it sure is easy to judge others based on some news clip. Although I haven't known his whole story, I've always been proud that he was/is a Clemson Tiger. Hope his feelings towards us mellows with time.

Apr 13, 2019, 12:12 AM

He loves Clemson, and always will. Still hangs out with many Clemson people today.

Apr 13, 2019, 11:52 AM

Cool perspective. Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear he is doing well for himself. It just seemed fitting that he came to Clemson. I always enjoyed when he made a play. He played fast and tough.

Apr 13, 2019, 12:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Daniel Rodriguez ]

Let him know that I still have the #83 Clemson jersey that was the first one he ever signed while at Clemson and his autographed book; got him to write that on the jersey too. Still wear the jersey for Veteran appreciation games each year.

CUvsFSU2011win

-- Too many daughters and not enough bullets. --

Ah yes

Apr 13, 2019, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Daniel Rodriguez ]

The “if you didn’t serve in the military you’re an entitled snowflake that goes and cries to mommy every time they get upset” trope. Because nobody who didn’t serve can be well adjusted or have experienced any level of hardship in their lives.

Was also at Clemson the same time as him and like 2013 met him several times and he came across as kind of a d!ck but that doesn’t make me any less appreciative of his service or the hardships he’s endured.

Not sure why this has to be an either/or proposition. He can still be a war hero while also coming across as kind of an #######. Perhaps he showed more deference to you because you were in the military which is the same thing you’re doing here. Nothing wrong with it but doesn’t mean you have to start attacking others for their own interpretation of their personal interactions with him.

He’s accomplished far more than I ever will and I wish him the best and I have tremendous respect for him, none of that changed because he was dickish in several interactions.

Re: Ah yes

Apr 13, 2019, 10:46 AM

The “if you didn’t serve in the military you’re an entitled snowflake that goes and cries to mommy every time they get upset” trope. Because nobody who didn’t serve can be well adjusted or have experienced any level of hardship in their lives.

Was also at Clemson the same time as him and like 2013 met him several times and he came across as kind of a d!ck but that doesn’t make me any less appreciative of his service or the hardships he’s endured.

Not sure why this has to be an either/or proposition. He can still be a war hero while also coming across as kind of an #######. Perhaps he showed more deference to you because you were in the military which is the same thing you’re doing here. Nothing wrong with it but doesn’t mean you have to start attacking others for their own interpretation of their personal interactions with him.

He’s accomplished far more than I ever will and I wish him the best and I have tremendous respect for him, none of that changed because he was dickish in several interactions.

Very well reasoned post.

Re: Ah yes

Apr 13, 2019, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Ah yes ]

Think this is a spot on post. All veterans deserve tremendous respect - including my son who retired after 20 years in the military which included 4 tours in the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters. People who are in/were in the military need to be accorded respect for their service but should still be subject to honest appraisal of their personal actions. Know nothing of Rod personally but based on several posters opinions think that he has some areas in which he could improve - just like all of us humans. -:D

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic