Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo & Venables
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,712

Dabo & Venables

Nov 2, 2015, 1:51 PM

When Dabo was hired, I will admit I thought it was a HUGE mistake at the time and that I was wrong. That was a long time ago, and I have come to accept that Dabo is a CEO style head coach. I think he understands this and has paid top dollar to the people he has hired to run the offense and defense for him, Morris and Venables.

Dabo's strengths are his recruiting, motivational skills, and humility. What this does is it creates a great coaching team, and you can see the success Clemson has had. Dabo doesn't have to worry full time about the X's and O's, he get's to spend time focusing on the health and well being of the team.

Does Venables want to be a HC? He's very good at what he does. To become a HC means he has to give up a great deal of time doing what he does that makes him great to focus on all the other tasks required by a HC. If he were to try, I think he ends up like Muschamp. Dabo recognizes his skill and will pay him as much as is necessary to keep him happy. Bud Foster has been the DC at VT for 20 years, I can see Venables doing the same.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was always my impression that BV came here

Nov 2, 2015, 2:10 PM

to showcase his skills for a HC job. I think he's gone sooner rather than later.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was always my impression that BV came here

Nov 2, 2015, 2:16 PM

That's interesting...that's not what Venables seems to think:
http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20141102/PC0312/141109867

"

That being said, don't think for a minute Venables has his eye solely on that next gig.

"Venables had an extremely thoughtful response when I asked him Friday about the future, and here it is in full:

"It's not my ultimate goal. I love my job. I love the simplicity of it," Venables told me. "I'm not going to be defined by a title or any kind of stature or pay. I just want to make sure I'm somewhere successful and got a quality family life.

"Trust me now: when it comes to the football aspect, I want to be somewhere you can win at the highest level, recruit the best players and be at a place where football's important and expectations are high. Those jobs are very, very difficult to get. I've been real fortunate to have that in my career. I think that's important for me and my happiness.

"I'm a firm believer when I say I've never been one to self-promote. Sometimes you've got to be careful what you wish for; there's a lot more responsibility when you become a head coach. Those really good jobs don't just fall out of the sky. Doesn't matter if you're the head coach and you're making all this money, if you're somewhere that you have inferior resources or don't have a chance to win at the highest level. That doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun to me." "

Re: Dabo & Venables

Nov 2, 2015, 2:12 PM

I wish folks would stop pushing the myth that Dabo isn't an X's and O's guy.

Nov 2, 2015, 2:22 PM

Same here, if he didn't know X's and O's he wouldn't have had this much success hiring quality assistants especially since Chad was only a college coach for 1 year prior to coming here and Elliot and Scott didn't have any coordinator experience.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Nov 2, 2015, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo & Venables ]

I think what OP was saying is that Dabo doesn't have to think about X and O. He sure knows it but it's not his job to think about it. He hires good assistants to focus on that.

His most important attribute is his vision and the plans

Nov 2, 2015, 2:25 PM

that he puts into place to see that it get's accomplished.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't be foolish

Nov 2, 2015, 2:29 PM

Dabo has more to do with running this team than you are willing to admit. I think he took charge BEFORE the USuC game last year> Since then , this offense has been a run spread offense.

Like he said, "it's a Clemson" offense, right now, Dabo is Clemson. Don't use your CEO BS to belittle what he's accomplished as a HC.

Seems you have missed the point

Nov 2, 2015, 2:51 PM

Saying Dabo is a CEO style coach isn't belittling at all. I think it's quite the compliment. He's confident in his hires, and confident they are doing the things he brought them in to do. I think he's more successful because he recognizes his skills and is willing to delegate to others where their skill is superior. The doesn't me he has no involvement. It let's him focus on the bigger picture and on the specific skills where he excels.

Very true...one reason for Spurrier's downfall at Usuc, he

Nov 2, 2015, 4:13 PM

considered himself the HBC, and the ultimate playcaller, instead of relegating that to others and taking care of more important things himself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One other virtue to consider- Kaizen. 1 of many

Nov 2, 2015, 2:33 PM

examples. How many walk-ons make the pros comparatively speaking. Pretty sure Hunter will be a professional under Dabo's tutelage. Noteworthy stat(Sir Gantt)

Message was edited by: Tickled Orange®

Nov 2, 2015, 2:46 PM

So Dabo only has to " focus only on the health and well being of the team " ?
Really ???

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2015, 2:58 PM

That's not what I said. I said his style of coach affords him more time to "focus on the health and well being of the team." This is very clearly important to him.

Go back and listen to his BYOG speech. Listen to the way he talks about and to his players. In the "wired" portion of Gameday this last weekend, he says to a player as he gave him a hug, "I promised your mother I would give you a hug every day."

Dabo is an awesome HC, and I am darn glad he's the Clemson HC. He represents the values I think make Clemson unique.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,712
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic