Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DRad is saying Brownell will finish his contract.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

DRad is saying Brownell will finish his contract.

Mar 9, 2017, 8:28 AM

We flopped big time this year with his best recruits after seven years.

Next year will be more of the same, if not less. Expectations for next year, after losing our top two scorers, rebounders and defensive players in JB, SD and AH to be replaced by a bunch of skinny freshmen and players who have been sitting on the bench because Brownell didn't think they were good enough to play them, can't be any greater than they were this year. If defense and rebounding were not our strengths this year, imagine what next year will bring.

It appears the buyout never drops below $3 million. If you didn't fire him after last year's performance, and you don't fire him after this year's 5 wins in our last 17 regular season games, what would it take to fire him?

Looks like we have Coach Brownell for at least three more years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not a big fan of his, but there is a lot of talent

Mar 9, 2017, 8:34 AM

returning on this team. Shelton Mitchell is going to be a star and given more time to get bigger and stronger Elijah Thomas will be a force. He just needs to work on how he finishes around the rim. Add in some other guys like Reed and there's a lot to look forward to. CBB is recruiting well too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

None of those guys play good defense and rebound.

Mar 9, 2017, 8:47 AM

We'll have to shoot lights out. :)

Thomas and Robertin will be it for our low post presence. Thomas lacks the lower body strength and feet to be a good defender and rebounder. He reminds me of Nnoko with the stupid fouls. Nnoko never got over that problem. It actually got worse over his career.

Then, there are the concerns about Grantham, Devoe and Hudson. They have disappeared the last month. Aren't their abilities pretty much known at this point? Somebody is going to transfer.

We knew going into this year that we would struggle in three areas: Perimeter defense. Interior defense. Rebounding. Unless our freshmen are more prepared than past recruiting classes to contribute as freshmen, it certainly looks like we will be even weaker in those areas next year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not a big fan of his, but there is a lot of talent

Mar 9, 2017, 8:52 AM [ in reply to I'm not a big fan of his, but there is a lot of talent ]

Ok - I never say anything good about our BBall, but GWP is pretty much spot on with the little that I've managed to sit thru. IMO - Mitchell is the catalyst on this team. When he comes in, things happen and we compete. Too bad he seems to go out so often when he is that good. I guess CBB knows best. Anyway, if CBB can figure out the chemistry of this team for next year, then we have a chance to be competitive.

I can't believe I'm saying kind words since I have little-to-no faith in CBB figuring it out. My prediction (EARLY) this year was exactly right - AGAIN. I will watch 1-2 games next year, and probably see all I need to see. :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not a big fan of his, but there is a lot of talent

Mar 9, 2017, 9:08 AM [ in reply to I'm not a big fan of his, but there is a lot of talent ]

Problem is we lose Mitchell after next season. Grantham, DeVoe, and Legend will be seniors, too.

I mean really we basically have Mitchell, Reed, DeVoe, and Thomas. I have not seen enough out of Hudson to make any judgement.

We must hold onto this recruiting class or for sure hire someone who would upgrade immediately. I am not sure that can be done on a for certain.

We also need Anthony Oliver II and Scott Spencer to grow up fast. Along with the Skara transfer to be solid.

Hoping we do sign Aamir Simms (verbal) and he can come in and contribute this upcoming season.

Clyde Trapp is listed as signed and Malik William is a verbal. So, we actually have half of our class, now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All four signed in November

Mar 9, 2017, 9:18 AM

Oliver is already enrolled

Re: All four signed in November

Mar 9, 2017, 9:26 AM

I was going off the Tnet signings.

Then where we will be replacing the four seniors will be next fall and we mine as well keep Brad and bring those guys in.

He has next year or else at that point.

8 young scholarship players, with replacing three maximum, if someone doesn't transfer in/out.

We're assured by TNet BB will do the honorable thing........***

Mar 9, 2017, 8:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DRad is an idiot if he doesn't give an extension.

Mar 9, 2017, 8:39 AM

If you're gonna retain him, you've gotta commit.

Otherwise, fire him and make a new commitment.

Worse thing this program needs is a lame duck coach. None of this one more year BS. Either make Brownell a new, long term contract or fire him.

Retaining him is a commitment to mediocrity...

Mar 9, 2017, 8:55 AM

NC State just fired a coach who took them to four NCAA Tournament appearances in the last six years.

It has now been six long years since Clemson even made the NCAA Tournament field.

Apparently, expecting to be one of the top sixty eight teams in the country, is an unrealistic expectation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: DRad is saying Brownell will finish his contract.

Mar 9, 2017, 8:40 AM

Who are all these great coaches you speak of that would come to the ACC to coach and recruit against the best. Shaka smart? Bruce Pearl? Rick Barnes? How is that working out? I am for a change if there is an answer but firing the coach just fire him to get the same or worst does not make sense? Example Marshall is not coming when he can make the tournament playing 3 or 4 good teams a year in his conference. Please enlighten us on these big time coaches that are available and will come.

Mar 9, 2017, 9:09 AM

> Who are all these great coaches you speak of that
> would come to the ACC to coach and recruit against
> the best. Shaka smart? Bruce Pearl? Rick Barnes?
> How is that working out? I am for a change if there
> e is an answer but firing the coach just fire him to
> get the same or worst does not make sense? Example
> Marshall is not coming when he can make the
> tournament playing 3 or 4 good teams a year in his
> conference. Please enlighten us on these big time
> coaches that are available and will come.

I would not advise hiring Marshall unless you want the NCAA in Clemson all the time, might even set-up an office if he were hired.

if they can figure out how to develop Thomas he could

Mar 9, 2017, 8:44 AM

be dominant down low. and Reed and Mitchell are coming around offensively. they just need another body to help rebound and play defense.. like a james mayes type. And this team could get good quick. Thomas has the potential to be a 15/10/3 type player every night. He's the first real agile big man we've had since sharrod ford. He just needs some direction and confidence. For instance, that layup he bricked...should have never thought about a layup, dunk that crap!

Re: if they can figure out how to develop Thomas he could

Mar 9, 2017, 9:15 AM

He missed like five point blank shots from within two feet yesterday.

I was shocked to Sidy have better success in the paint. Smh

yeah, do you remember Sidy's 1st/2nd year?? Thomas at least

Mar 9, 2017, 9:30 AM

has offensive moves at this point. He just lacks poise and the confidence that comes with experience. Needs to work on his legs this summer and get where he just flushes those 2 footers. He'll either draw a foul or get the two. But soft layups in the midst of trees swinging at the ball is not as easy as you think.

Sharrod Ford was horrible his first couple years too. Ended up being pretty stinkin' good. Too bad the rest of the team suckt.

Mar 9, 2017, 9:06 AM

before or after he finishes our program?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2017, 9:28 AM

If that's true,our basketball program will worse than the dumpster fire in Columbia. This team won't be worth watching in person or on tv. I'm sick of the loser mentality in basketball.

i'm all for it if you have a better option available

Mar 9, 2017, 9:34 AM

i'm not if you're just gonna hire the next mid major coach with no recruiting prowess. bc then we get to do this again in another 5 years.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic