Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Had a conversation with a retired SC basketball coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Had a conversation with a retired SC basketball coach

Oct 29, 2015, 9:05 AM

and big time USC fan last night. This guy is a close friend and has one or two state championships under his belt.

Spurlid got brought up and I asked him what he though about the way he quit and the spin that gets from the media.

Now this guy is a big time gamecock fan and I was rather pleased and a bit surprised about his response.

He couldn't believe it. He basically said Spurrier was a quitter and didn't like the way he did it. He believed that Spurlid's comments that it was best for the program was total BS. That "he just wasn't motivated to do it anymore."

So our question to the OBS is this, would you still be coaching and motivated if you were 7-1 now? Quitting in the middle of the season because you are getting your #### handed to you just doesn't say a lot about you character Mr. Spurrier.

PS- He also brought up Spurlid going to the Michigan game right after he quits.... I think Spurlid had left a bad taste in his mouth...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Had a conversation with a retired SC basketball coach

Oct 29, 2015, 9:08 AM

WELL ANYONE WITH A BRAIN KNOWS SUPERIOR IS NOTHING MORE THAN A QUITTER WHO WAS ALWAYS IN IT FOR SUPERIOR.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's pretty evident to me that Ellis Johnson was doing

Oct 29, 2015, 9:20 AM

most of the work. When he left recruiting stopped and so did the success. Spurrier scooped about 10-15 million out of the coot coffers and left them in a bind. That's pretty unethical in my opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When Ellis Johnson left, he took his $100 handshakes with him

Oct 29, 2015, 9:46 AM

null

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Couldn't have happened to a better group of people...

Oct 29, 2015, 9:26 AM

They deserved each other. It was a relationship based on convenience. Spurrier needed a gig and a paycheck; SC needed wins and a shot in the arm. They both got what they wanted. Except, Spurrier got more out of the relationship than SC. The fanbase is too dumb to realize that they were used and tossed aside when Spurrier got bored (or got tired of dancing with the ugly, loud-mouthed girl at the dance).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Couldn't have happened to a better group of people...

Oct 29, 2015, 10:30 AM

Did he quit? Yes! Did he quit because he was losing? Yes! Are the Gamecocks better off because he did? Again Yes! So he did help his program by quitting. I believe his team was losing because he had no desire, heart, or energy to do his job anymore, and hadn't for 2 or 3 years. Should he have hung around like the Bowdens, Tommy and Bobby, years after their lack of passion for the game had ravaged their programs? Don't forget, the man tried to resign last year, but was talked back into just one more season. Some Tiger fans just can't get past the record of Spurrier 6, Clemson 4, or maybe it's Spurrier 5, Dabo 2? You do realize that Spurrier is considered one of the most successful coaches, on either side, in the 100+ years of the rivalry, don't you? That's because of the number of highly ranked Clemson teams that he beat during the 5 year streak. Like him or hate him, and I don't particularly like him or care for his childish antics and arrogance, but he did force Clemson to improve in every area of football excellence. Actually, Steve Spurrier helped both the Gamecocks and the Tigers rise higher to national football prominence.

Cool story coot....***

Oct 29, 2015, 10:35 AM

Don't let facts get in your way....like Clemson 8 -

Oct 29, 2015, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Couldn't have happened to a better group of people... ]

Spurrier 7!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL...bless your heart !!!***

Oct 29, 2015, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Couldn't have happened to a better group of people... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Message removed by Author

Oct 29, 2015, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Couldn't have happened to a better group of people... ]

Message removed by Author

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No holding-back now. Tell him what you really think.***

Oct 29, 2015, 11:11 AM

are the gamecocks better off, not so sure.. is

Oct 29, 2015, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Couldn't have happened to a better group of people... ]

Spurlid better off? what do you think?

he made Clemson a better football team? you are delirious.

Clemson is what it is because of Dabo Swinney and our outstanding coaches and players... to try and distract from that is at best narcissistic much like your past coach.

It's just a shame he didn't hang around for match up this year... wonder why?

Re: Had a conversation with a retired SC basketball coach

Oct 29, 2015, 10:06 AM

You said Spurlid and character in the same sentence.

smh

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic