Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coots realistically, will be 5-7 to 7-5
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Coots realistically, will be 5-7 to 7-5

May 11, 2018, 10:46 AM

Marshall and UT will be the wildcards.

Coastal Carolina W
Georgia L
Marshall L
@Vanderbilt W
@Kentucky L
Missouri L
Texas A&M L
Tennessee W
@Ole Miss W
@Florida L
Chattanooga W
@Clemson L

Sorry, I can not solved the "spacing problems".

u

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coots realistically, will be 5-7 to 7-5

May 11, 2018, 10:48 AM

spacing fixed itself when sent.
Now I feel like a coot, for 2 seconds.
That was not fun.

so it has been said the last 3 years.***

May 11, 2018, 10:50 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I don’t know about their record but

May 11, 2018, 10:50 AM

they will still suck. They were bad last year and still managed nine wins because of a pathetic schedule. I don’t expect them to get that lucky again this year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don’t know about their record but

May 11, 2018, 6:49 PM

Their schedule was weak and most of those " laid down " against them . It's been the strangest thing to see how such a bad team can pull out so many wins .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally realistic

May 11, 2018, 11:11 AM

Gamecocks will not improve, but rest of SEC will

May 11, 2018, 11:14 AM

Pruitt will out-coach Muschamp. He is a very good coach and gave us nightmares while he was at FSU. UT also has way more talent than USUCK.

I don't think it is a given that they win at Ole Miss either.

Snowflake Basher........Out

May 11, 2018, 11:15 AM

I think they beat Marshall, but lose to TN. Also, agree they lose to KY for the 5th year in a row.

May 11, 2018, 11:19 AM

Realistically they have 3 wins guaranteed in my opinion. CC, Chattanooga, and Ole Miss. 2 guaranteed losses in UGA and Clemson. That leaves 7 toss ups. As Clemson fans I’ll take them going 50/50 in those games lol. But honestly the East is so dang bad I can see them winning most of those toss ups.

3 definitive wins and 2 definitive losses..

May 11, 2018, 11:21 AM

Coastal, Marshall (may be a scare but ultimately a win) and Chattanooga are the wins. Dawgs and is are defintive losses.

I think they lose one of the 2 on the road between Vandy and Kentucky. I think they lose at least one of 3 at home verse Mizzou, A&M and UT. Definitely lose 1 on the road between Ole Miss and UF and both are possible. I think 6 or 7 wins is likely but 5 or 8 a possibility.

This is a massive year for Muschamp.

May 11, 2018, 12:11 PM

He should, in year 3, have a step on the 3 SEC teams he faces with first year coaches. Florida, Tennessee, and Texas A&M are all winnable games for SCar next year.

They’ll be juiced up to play Kentucky after losing last year. Missouri is likely their 2nd most difficult SEC game and the only SEC other than UGA where they are outclassed at QB.

The rest of their SEC schedule is down again. I could easily see them maxing our around 6-2 in conference if all breaks right.

Out-of-conference is tricky for them even with two cupcakes. We’re a few classes above them in talent and should see more of the same recent results. Marshall is going to be a very good G5 team next year searching for that early signature win. I see 2-2 OOC.

That puts them around 8-4 if they perform as I think they can in another down season of the SEC.

Re: This is a massive year for Muschamp.

May 11, 2018, 12:25 PM

Being juiced cant fix bentley, i still say they drop the game to kentucky. Thats kinda all kentucky has going is beating the ##### for the 5th year so i see them being equally juiced up.

Re: This is a massive year for Muschamp.

May 11, 2018, 12:41 PM [ in reply to This is a massive year for Muschamp. ]

So, they can lose to Texas A&M last year with the outgoing coach, but yet gaining FSU's ex-coach (who consistently kept FSU a 10+ win team for the majority time and one of the ACC Atlantic's top teams) gives them a better chance of beating them? Not sure how...unless you are saying Fisher's Texas A&M will be worse than Sumlin's the first year. Same with Pruitt...not quite sure Pruitt's Tennessee would be worse than what Butch Jones had.

"They’ll be juiced up to play Kentucky after losing last year"...is that different than last year, or the year before, where each they lost the year prior as well? Kentucky is aiming for a 5 peat this year. It's not like last year was a fluke, they've lost the last 4 vs Kentucky. If they weren't juiced up in 2015, 2016, or 2017, they have bigger issues to worry about.

2 of those coaches are far, far better than Muschamp though

May 11, 2018, 12:42 PM [ in reply to This is a massive year for Muschamp. ]

Pruitt may be as well, but we probably won't know that for a couple years.

Re: 2 of those coaches are far, far better than Muschamp though

May 11, 2018, 12:56 PM

But how much better does Pruitt need to really be to beat them?? Last year's game was only 15-9 score...if the Carolina offense doesn't play any better than that, just 1 TD and a PAT would flip the tables.

EASY Schedule

May 11, 2018, 1:18 PM [ in reply to This is a massive year for Muschamp. ]

9-3 or 8-4

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I think 6-6 to 8-4 is more realistic.

May 11, 2018, 12:40 PM

If the east doesn't improve and everything breaks right for them, they could potentially win 9 games, but that's the absolute best case scenario IMO. I don't see any world where they win 10.

May 11, 2018, 1:10 PM

Usuck is sitting on a real catbird seat! Expectations in Cola are through the roof! Outside of Marshall and there other non-conference games every SEC contest could go either way. I could actually see them upsetting UGA, but losing at UK! Coastal is a tune up for UGA, but if I had to pick losses here is what I see.

Clemson, UGA, UK, TAM, Ole Miss, UF and perhaps UT. Realistically I see 6-6 or 7-5 at best, especially with unforeseen injuries and academic issues or the like over the summer.

Go Tigers!

A pretty soft schedule sets-up really well for them...

May 11, 2018, 1:41 PM

I think 8-4 or 9-3 is entirely possible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Schedule is a joke. They will again win 8-9 and claim they..

May 11, 2018, 2:38 PM

have arrived.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and just like last year...

May 11, 2018, 4:10 PM

they'll loose to every decent team they face and look bad doing it.

Fortunately for them, that aren't too many decent teams on their schedule.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I bet they loose 0 games

May 11, 2018, 4:44 PM

And I'm not a betting person

May 11, 2018, 3:12 PM

Nah, as much as I dislike and loathe the chickens, they will go 8-4. Their losses will be blowouts.

Coastal Carolina W
Georgia L
Marshall W
@Vanderbilt W
@Kentucky W
Missouri W
Texas A&M L
Tennessee W
@Ole Miss W
@Florida L
Chattanooga W
@Clemson L

Message was edited by: badkitty85®

May 11, 2018, 3:31 PM

What makes you think they can beat Kentucky this year?

Unless Sandstorm is good for 7 points i dont see it

Math is not your strong suit!

May 11, 2018, 6:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Coots realistically, will be 5-7 to 7-5 ]

That's 8-4!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Coots realistically, will be 5-7 to 7-5***

May 11, 2018, 4:42 PM

Re: Coots realistically, will be 5-7 to 7-5***

May 11, 2018, 4:42 PM

Re: They could win

May 11, 2018, 7:25 PM

9 or more games and still not be a very good team.

We're pretty jaded re: Gamecocks

May 15, 2018, 9:11 AM

They've looked so completely inept vs. Clemson that it's hard to fathom that they have success against anyone else. But just look at the bowl win vs. Michigan. They do have some talent (a lot of it cast offs from Clemson that we couldn't take but normally would), and they do face a pretty mediocre schedule. I can see 7-9 wins this season, including bowl game. There's nobody on their schedule besides Clemson that they can't beat (would include UGa if it were in Athens, but alas it is in Columbia and is early in the season).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 15, 2018, 9:25 AM

They will win 8 games.

Weak schedule again and Bentley isnt good enough to beat great teams but he will do good enough against the crappy ones.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

May 15, 2018, 9:26 AM

Coastal Carolina and UTC are the ONLY locked wins they can call right now . Of course they'd have called the Citadel the same a few years back .
I don't expect Missouri, Vanderbilt or Ole Miss to be better than the Coots .. but they are ALL 3 capable of beating them .
I can easily see a 6-6 type of year , but other than UGA and CLEMSON I can't see any of the other games as absolute losses on their pathetic schedule.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Despite the "hype" they have several things going against

May 15, 2018, 10:27 AM

them.

1) Will Mushcamp is still their coach. Sure he's boosted their recruiting a little bit, but the guy just has a poor track record when it comes to on field performance. I don't think he's fielded a single competent offense in his entire 6 year HC career despite multiple OCs and plenty of talent to do so while he was at Florida. Unless he's able to truly reinvent himself, SC will routinely have the inferior coach on their sideline.

2) This is a team that got quite lucky the last two seasons. Not only was their SOS way down due to the poor state of most of the traditional powers in the SEC East, but they also got very lucky against those easy schedules. According to second order wins (which uses actual game stats to determine how often a team should've won a given game), USC should've won an average of 7.5 games last year. Their +1.5 (we will call it "luck") was one of the higher totals in the nation. In 2016 they outperformed their 2nd order wins by 0.7 for a 2-year total of +2.2 in the "luck" department.

This is kind of like running hot at cards or flipping heads a bunch of times in a row. Over time you can expect 2nd order wins to average back out to 0 just as you would expect to eventually get a 50/50 distribution of heads/tails on your coin flips. That's not to say that USC will take a step back in the luck department next year (though it's certainly possible), but it does mean that you shouldn't be basing expectations for them on their 6 and 9 wins the last two years because they actually weren't that good. In fact, S&P+ ranked them 79th in 2016 and 60th in 2017. That's not very good.

3) They are actually very average in terms of what they return from last season. Bill Connelly's great returning production measure has them 67th in the country. That's about the dead middle of the pack, which is fine, but not enough to give Will Muschamp the edge he needs to offset his coaching deficiencies. https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/31/16950222/2018-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

All things considered, this is team that's likely to make a modest improvement over last season, but could quite possibly win less games. Improving from 60th to around 40th in the S&P+ would be a nice season for them, and teams in that range usually win 7-9 games (including the bowl).

TLDR: 8-5 is probably a realistic expectation for them next year, but anything more would likely require them getting lucky for a 3rd straight season.

I think they beat Marshall actually but Kentucky is a tossup

May 15, 2018, 10:35 AM

Therefore I say 7-5 will be there record with losses to Clemson, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, and either Vandy or Kentucky. That game vs Missouri could be a loss as well so 6-6 is very much in the picture. Honestly they are riding high on the win vs. Michigan and I agree a win is a win but Michigan did everything they could to give them that game in the second half. Michigan was honestly, sorry Harbaugh, outcoached in the second half of that game. I mean there were some incredibly bad coaching decisions in that game. Of course the turnovers didn't help.

Anyway I say 7-5 or 6-6 because both Florida and Tenn. are going to be much better this season.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic