Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Concerned about our defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Concerned about our defense

Jan 11, 2021, 11:38 PM

Alabama's defense hasn't been good all year. Yet they so far has held osu to 24 points. But we gave up 49 to this same offense. I know Ohio State had It out for us, but come on... Hopefully we will be much better next season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our secondary wasn’t consistent this year

Jan 11, 2021, 11:45 PM

Had several bad performances

We also didn’t get the pressure we are used to. We will be OK

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And our OL was often similar to a big, gaping...

Jan 12, 2021, 12:00 AM

vag that had Travis Etienne stuffed for a loss and TL16 running for his life. Fix that and you cure a multitude of ills.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And our OL was often similar to a big, gaping...

Jan 12, 2021, 12:12 AM

All that was going on and we still had 435 yards against the OSU defense. Has our defense shown up to the game it would have been a way different story.

Combination of quick snapping and keeping

Jan 11, 2021, 11:47 PM

D on its heels and Fields having game of his career. Perfect storm

Re: Combination of quick snapping and keeping

Jan 11, 2021, 11:49 PM

Agree. Everything fell for 1-4 St that night. We showed a complete lack of respect and that was the result

Re: Concerned about our defense

Jan 11, 2021, 11:48 PM

They planned all season to play Clemson. They weren’t going to beat Bama tonight. It’s apparent that they put everything they had into 1 game and it cost them this game. Just watch th3 play calling in this game versus us. It couldn’t be more obvious they knew they had to get over the 0-4 against us. But at what cost they may never get another chance.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2021, 11:50 PM

We will. Much like the 2016 team the 2021 team will have a bad taste in their mouth. Not to mention we bring everyone back on defense and they’ll have a complete off-season this year to improve which we didn’t have last off-season due to COVID. Plus the backups got a TON of snaps because of injuries and COVID forcing dabo to play the younger players to have them ready for an emergencies.

Jan 11, 2021, 11:55 PM

Well, when you have players like Jake Venables and Nolan Turner starting for you, it should be no surprise when we struggle with elite teams. These are both high character guys, but would never see the field they were at Bama or Ohio State.

Jan 12, 2021, 12:08 AM

Until daddy ball stops (playing coaches kids over higher ceiling and more talented players) we will continue to lay eggs on the big stage. You can't play the more talented players at every position then slide your kids in and think that these elite coaches and players won't scheme them up. We're turning into a nice guy program and losing our edge to win nattys.

Jan 12, 2021, 12:27 AM

I'm scared our younger players are going to transfer because they're stuck behind mediocre uperclassmen.

Message was edited by: LosTigres17®

Jan 12, 2021, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Concerned about our defense ]

You guys are hilarious. Jake venables was one of the highest graded linebackers on the team before he broke his arm.

Sermon played 1 play. They had an opportunity

Jan 11, 2021, 11:57 PM

to put up more tonight and OSU clearly was at the top of their game against us but not nearly as sharp tonight. That happens. Every game is different. Bama is definitely the best team but you really can’t get caught in the score comparison thing. You have to have the stars to align to beat Bama and that wasn’t happening tonight.

Alabama can sustain long drives, line up and mow you

Jan 11, 2021, 11:59 PM

over on 3rd and 1. Controlling game on offense, helps your defense settle in and make adjustments. We were also young this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2021, 12:02 AM

Our last 4 CFB playoff games have been poor performances by Coach V standards. Lots of points but moreover huge yardage given up. Luckily we kept Tua n bama out the end zone in 2018 and Fields n OSU last year

Jan 12, 2021, 9:36 PM

I don't agree on the 2018 national championship. Alabama was insanely talented on offense that year. They had a plan and they executed it. I thought it was an excellent defensive gameplan. That said, I'm starting to have my doubts with Venables. I really thought he was the best coordinator in the game. I'll still say that for recruiting defensive players, but Clemson has been absolutely gashed in 3 of the last 4 games against teams that ended in the top 10. In those three games, the opponents averaged 46 points, 595 total yards, and 391 passing yards. That's terrible.

Our defense was incredible from 2015 to 2018, and I wouldn't trade that success away for anything. But for all those years, Clemson had maybe the greatest defensive line to ever play the game. If you can send just 4 guys and create similar pressure to a blitz, anyone can scheme up great coverages. I want to see what Venables does with these new superstars coming in, because Clemson will be the most talented on defense it's ever been. But right now, I'm wondering about him.

Jan 12, 2021, 12:07 AM

Due in part to cumulative losses since 2018.

A lot of young guys got to play this year. Hoping they can all take that next step heading into next year.

We need our next star to emerge at the safety / LB spot. Need to get more pressure up front consistently. Also need a better running game.

We Tigers have a lot to be excited about. We still have a lot of talent.

Jan 12, 2021, 12:11 AM

Our stars at the LB and safety positions won't emerge bc the best talent isn't playing. This is one thing that I respect about Saban. He doesn't give a crap about if we coaches kids are on the team or some walk on that earned a scholarship, he's playing his best talent at every position ALL OF THE TIME!

Jan 12, 2021, 12:25 AM

I agree. It's hilarious how many posters on here are convinced that Nolan Turner is an elite safety. He's a great kid, but he was a zero star recruit for a reason, and Ohio State showed that. As for the Venables boys, they recieved a scholarship for one reason alone, and we know what that is. Jake's backup, Bentley, is far better and showed it in the VT game. I'm concerned that Turner is going to come back and players like Jake Venable will start over better players against UGA.

Jan 12, 2021, 8:05 AM

You are dead on. If you look back at the games this year (as it's more apparent since he has 2 kids on the team), he places them at 2nd string or the "or" position on the depth chart. Once a starter goes down, it's easy to slide them in to play significant snaps. It's also easy to slide them in (especially Jake since guys in the box are 4 and 5 star players) next to 4 and 5 star players so when they make a play, it's "man, Venables kids are outstanding) when in actuality, the 4 and 5 star players have done their job enough to pilfer the play right to them to make the play. Jake getting hurt will (should) cause BV to reassess this philosophy as you saw the 3 4 star LBS behind Jake play very well and question "Why in the hell are these guys not getting more snaps?" Well, it's b/c BV can come out and say on the record that they don't know all of the calls, blah blah blah". The teams that we're destroying in the ACC, we can afford to get the most talented players more PT and allow them to make the mistakes, grow and become stars, so we won't have "situational" mismatches on the big stage. The following stats prove my point:

Jake Venables snap count 2020: 319
Bentley, Patterson, Maguire snap count 2020: 311 (combined)

Tyler Venables snap count 2020 (Sam/nickel): 214
Simpson snap count 2020: 271
Swint and Allen: 53 (Combined)

So, you're telling me that Tyler Venables can come in as a true freshman and play for this tough, hard, conceptualized defensive system BV has, yet players that are higher rated and more talented can't and they've been on campus for 2 years? I call bs. Bentley had offers from in state Bama and Auburn and other D 1 schools, Maguire had offers from OSU, PSU, Bama, ND and others, same for Patterson; these guys didn't spurn these offers just to come to Clemson, just to play behind a coaches son, whose best offer was NW, SMU and TTU and probably would barely start for Furman.

What's going to happen is, in the 22 and 23 seasons, we're going to hurt at the LB spot with quality depth as we are backlogged and the more talented players will leave due to this nepotism/daddy ball, as as we saw the misses that we had in the 2016-2018 OL classes haunt us. Stay tuned!

Jan 12, 2021, 8:19 AM

I am sorry to say, but this ^^^^^^ is the truth.

Either "Best IS the Standard" or it's not. Can't have it both ways.

Jan 12, 2021, 12:12 PM

Funny ..... 3 dudes who have no idea what the heck they are talking about agreeing with
each other! Any of you dudes ever watched a football game?

Jan 12, 2021, 2:23 PM

According to Tiger pulse(s)? Bro, I played football, understand skill and talent, therefore I can make thought provoking points..... Take off your orange glasses and call it for what it is. Lord forbid you don't walk around with a 90 plus Tiger pulse, cuz if you don't, you don't know anything.....I digress......

Jan 12, 2021, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Concerned about our defense ]

Turner is serviceable. He improved his tackling this year.

Jan 13, 2021, 7:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Concerned about our defense ]

It’s almost like it’s one coot signing in and out of different accounts to have a “discussion” with his or herself. Man that’s a sad life. And what moron would put Tyler (safety) in a snap comparison with 3 linebackers? What an idiot.

Jan 12, 2021, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Concerned about our defense ]

neva2late said:

You are dead on. If you look back at the games this year (as it's more apparent since he has 2 kids on the team), he places them at 2nd string or the "or" position on the depth chart. Once a starter goes down, it's easy to slide them in to play significant snaps. It's also easy to slide them in (especially Jake since guys in the box are 4 and 5 star players) next to 4 and 5 star players so when they make a play, it's "man, Venables kids are outstanding) when in actuality, the 4 and 5 star players have done their job enough to pilfer the play right to them to make the play. Jake getting hurt will (should) cause BV to reassess this philosophy as you saw the 3 4 star LBS behind Jake play very well and question "Why in the #### are these guys not getting more snaps?" Well, it's b/c BV can come out and say on the record that they don't know all of the calls, blah blah blah". The teams that we're destroying in the ACC, we can afford to get the most talented players more PT and allow them to make the mistakes, grow and become stars, so we won't have "situational" mismatches on the big stage. The following stats prove my point:

Jake Venables snap count 2020: 319
Bentley, Patterson, Maguire snap count 2020: 311 (combined)

Tyler Venables snap count 2020 (Sam/nickel): 214
Simpson snap count 2020: 271
Swint and Allen: 53 (Combined)

So, you're telling me that Tyler Venables can come in as a true freshman and play for this tough, hard, conceptualized defensive system BV has, yet players that are higher rated and more talented can't and they've been on campus for 2 years? I call bs. Bentley had offers from in state Bama and Auburn and other D 1 schools, Maguire had offers from OSU, PSU, Bama, ND and others, same for Patterson; these guys didn't spurn these offers just to come to Clemson, just to play behind a coaches son, whose best offer was NW, SMU and TTU and probably would barely start for Furman.

What's going to happen is, in the 22 and 23 seasons, we're going to hurt at the LB spot with quality depth as we are backlogged and the more talented players will leave due to this nepotism/daddy ball, as as we saw the misses that we had in the 2016-2018 OL classes haunt us. Stay tuned!

Bingo - raised in Clemson and my family had season tickets for over 40 years. Was raised with the coaches kids from multiple staffs and have seen how this goes. Believe it or not, we have a long and storied history of unqualified kids of coaches and staff getting on the field. I don't count Jimmy Howard because I was too young to recall his performance (and I think he was the real deal) but it went on in the 70's and 80's. The biggest difference was the number - it was just a player here or there, not a half dozen. When I asked the regular players on the team about it they would just roll their eyes or make a snarky comment. Yes, it could really hurt if they push the talented players into the portal. You might think 628 yards and 639 yards in the last two season ending games would be a wake up call. Unfortunately, I don't see any change coming on this approach.

Jan 13, 2021, 5:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Concerned about our defense ]

Pulse rating be ###### this is the truth!

I think OSU would have been more effective

Jan 12, 2021, 5:54 AM

last night had Skalski not busted up Fields guts in the playoff game. Also, Sermon going down on the second play was unfortunate.

They didn't have Nolan Turner as a last line of defense***

Jan 12, 2021, 12:34 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic