Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Spring Forecast: Clemson secondary seeks rebound, right mix in 2021
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

TNET: Spring Forecast: Clemson secondary seeks rebound, right mix in 2021

Feb 23, 2021, 8:01 AM

Spring Forecast: Clemson secondary seeks rebound, right mix in 2021

Clemson returns starters across the secondary and seeks a rebound from 2020 struggles. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Spring Forecast: Clemson secondary seeks rebound, right mix in 2021

Feb 23, 2021, 8:16 AM

They can start by keeping the best players on the field. Booth is clearly the best corner and sees way to lil snaps. The top 3 CBs we have IMO is Booth, Jones and Davis. I'd almost rather see DK moved to a FS spot or nickel.

Feb 23, 2021, 8:19 AM

I’ll probably get hate for this but I feel like he are missing with our CB recruiting. Getting high stars but they don’t seem to live up to the hype. Is it just me?

Feb 23, 2021, 8:50 AM

The CB recruiting has been solid. Booth looks tremendous when he’s been able to stay on the field. Greene was coming on strong by the end of the year. Davis showed flashes.

The safety recruiting on the other hand is where we’ve had misses in my opinion. I saw a lot of slow feet and stiff hips. Swinney mentioned playing Barret Carter at safety when he signed on and I’m hoping they stick with that plan because we need better athletes back there.

Feb 23, 2021, 10:16 AM

Exactly!!! For the most part are CBs are okay but you can not realistically ask any CB to cover deep patterns from one hash to the other without some over the top Safety help. It appears our current group of Safeties are not athletic enough to complete this task. This deficiency is negated by a strong pass rush. I believe we have to do better at recruiting the Safety position. I will repeat what I've said previously
....time to end the friends and family plan at the Safety position. No reason we are getting the upper echelon of recruits at CB but not Safety. The Safety position is the last line of defense where speed is a requirement.

The biggest single thing that would help the secondary

Feb 23, 2021, 8:33 AM

"rebound" next season is a pair of heat seeking missle DE's that run down and destroy opposing quarterbacks. This makes for a tremendous improvement in secondary play. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The biggest single thing that would help the secondary

Feb 23, 2021, 10:54 AM

You, my friend, get it. It's all about pressure on the QB. The past couple of seasons it hasn't been there as much as in year's past and that makes any DBs look worse than they are. With less talented WRs to face, that's not a problem, but against a good team like Ohio State or Alabama it's life threatening.

The last couple of years have underscored how important it

Feb 24, 2021, 8:36 AM

is to have the pressure coming from two different directions. It has been SO frustrating seeing one guy occasionally get there, and the QB dances away, extends the play, and ultimately either runs for the first down, or spots a receiver open and completes an important pass for a first down. With two, he would have been dancing right into a sack.

That, more than any other thing, soured me on Tommy Bowden's defensive coordinators. I distinctly remember MULTIPLE times having teams in 3rd and TWENTYONE or more situations, and giving up first downs about half that time. Nothing is more of a spirit killer than doing that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CB is fine...SS and FS not so much...

Feb 23, 2021, 9:21 AM

I saw someone else post this, and I agreed with them. I can’t see either of our Safeties starting for any other Top 5 FBS program. I like Nolan Turner because he has a nose for the football, but I’m hoping Joseph Charleston and Ray Thornton take that next step and shake things up. A lack speed and athleticism at Safety and LB last year killed us.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Completely agree...

Feb 23, 2021, 10:38 AM

Look at the starting safeties at UGA, Bama, UF, LSU, etc... Absolute dudes. LB bodies with speed.

Our safeties are either tall corners or slow LBs. We used to get guys like Jayron Kearse, Deandre McDaniel, Michael Hamlin, etc.

What happened to our safety recruiting?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Completely agree...

Feb 23, 2021, 11:05 AM

It seems that Conn is not able to connect to the top flight Safety recruits. If you look at his resume, prior to Clemson, all it basically says is a high school football coach and friends with Dabo. If I notice this I am sure recruits do and are not impressed and other coaches use this against him. Something to the affect of "How can this coach help get you to the NFL if all he did was coach high school football" ? No it is not right and doesn't mean Conn isn't a good coach but his resume is just not appealing to the best Safety recruits. Reed's resume is much more extensive. 4 year starter at CB for BC, 2 years playing for Carolina Panthers, coached 5 season on Philadelphia Eagles staff under Andy Reid. Its obvious his personality and resume is helping him connect with these young men which is why we are getting top flight CB recruits. My suggestion is turn the secondary coaching back over to Reed. Let Conn be Special Teams Coordinator.

Feb 23, 2021, 11:21 AM

Not saying I disagree with the resume talk, but I think it’s a bit early to say Conn can’t recruit. 19 we got Charleston who was a pretty highly regarded 4*. Mickens in 20 played big time Texas football and was well thought of as well. 21 has Mukuba and Carter who come in as probably the best athletes at the position from go.

You have to think, neither Muse or Wallace were 5* guys, and they certainly had some growing pains. They were undeniably better athletes than we saw last year though. I’m hoping Charleston was just struggling with the speed of the game and will look better this year, but I do have to admit being disappointed by the athleticism I saw from the safety group last year all around.

Feb 23, 2021, 11:47 AM

I hope you are correct and Conn gets better at recruiting as well as the group you spoke of (Carter, Mickens, Mukuba) pans out. Also for the record..Tanner Muse and K'yvon Wallace were recruits bought in under Reed.

Spring Forecast: Clemson seeks rebound, right mix in 2021

Feb 23, 2021, 9:38 AM

I saw we were not able to handle teams last year that had top 5 OLs and top 5 receivers and a top 10 defense! A Healthy Tiger team might have still been able to win those games but we also had our top 2 receivers... maybe top 3 receivers watching from the sidelines most of the year. The injuries on the DL, LBs and DBs hurt us all year, with a healthy Ross, Ngata and Ladson, we still might have won it all. We play with the players we got and we were still the number 3 team in the nation. Does anyone really doubt that. The losses were not just on the Secondary, our losses also had missing capabilities on the offence as well as the rest of the D. I am looking forward to a healthy DL and LBs this year! A healthy WR corp. My question this year is the OL? Will they be better? Just as good? Snap the ball! Looking forward to spring game! I hope to be vaccinated by then!

Feb 23, 2021, 9:57 AM

I thought Fred Davis should have played more last year. Hopefully, he will this year.

Feb 23, 2021, 12:30 PM

I'm hoping Dabo will bench Turner if the younger guys outperform him during the off-season. He's a good kid but he'll be a massive liability aginst UGA that they will exploit.

Feb 23, 2021, 12:42 PM

Nolan Turner was an All-American safety last season and I'm pretty sure Dabo isn't "close family friends" with all of the voters.

It's quite entertaining that so many people decided to write him off as a player after playing poorly in the 2nd half of a game that we were already losing by 21.

We gave up 35 points in the 1st half when he didn't play and 14 in the 2nd half when he did play.

Also, maybe having a struggling pass rush and a weak SS is tough on a free safety against top 5 teams in the country.

Feb 23, 2021, 4:57 PM

Turner looks decent against the crappy ACC teams that we play. You're delusional if you think he would hold up against teams like Ohio State and Alabama on a regular basis. The reality is Turner would not start at UGA, Bama, LSU, OSU etc. It's nothing personal but I think it's absurd that we recruit at the level we're doing now but we have a 0 star starting at safety. If you choose to believe he's an elite player then go-ahead, but when we're getting burned against UGA don't say I didn't warn you.

Feb 24, 2021, 8:30 AM

Lest anyone forget .... in addition to him being 2nd team on 2 AA teams last year, Turner had the game-sealing interception against the “elite” Ohio State the year before. Is he the fastest guy on the field? No. But is he one of the best safeties in the country because of skills? Absolutely no question in my mind.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with most of the posts

Feb 23, 2021, 12:54 PM

BV and asst coaches have some work to do. Questions for 2021 secondary: Can DK improve? Can Booth stay healthy and on the field? Can Zanders hold off frosh 5-star? Can Greene and Davis get a fair shot? Can Turner improve his speed and flexibility? Can freshmen help?

These secondary positions are pure hit and miss - some of these vets should never see the field unless Tigers are winning in a route. They have had 3 years of chances and are a consistent liability. Playing time at these positions seems to go to the Boy Scouts who work hard and suck up to the coaches. I would like to see the top talent on the field. Let the best man win at each position. Go Tigers!

Feb 10, 2022, 7:32 PM

Barrett Carter is not a safety. He's 6'1", 220lbs at his last listing, likely more now. And runs a 4.59. He's got the chance to be the next Devin White, but because we've recruited guys that didn't work out quite the way we wanted at safety we are gonna try him there? Skalski is done next year and Spector doesn't have much more left if I remember correctly. I know, I know, the coaches blah blah blah. I just do not see how Barrett Carter is going to be better at safety than LB.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic