Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College football attendance had been dropping
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

College football attendance had been dropping

Aug 4, 2020, 5:26 PM

nationwide before Corona Virus. Even the SEC had already seen attendance declines across the board. Obviosly, there will be very low attendance, if any, this year due to the virus. My question is, when all of this is over, let's say in 2021 or 2022, when corona is not affecting attendance at all. What percentage of attendance really never comes back? I am a huge fan of college football and I would like to see it survive in as strong a position as it was before. Honestly, however, after all of this, plus just general player dissatisfaction and distate for the system from the people who play it, I'm just not sure it will ever be the same. I'm not sure what will ever be the same after 2020, the year of discontent, but I really worry about college football.

Obviously players across the country aren't happy, the fan bases that make great sacrifices to provide these scholarships are getting weary of hearing how bad it is to simply receive a four year full ride, the administrators have got to be thinking of deemphasizing at this point. As for the Pac12, those schools may very well just say, oh, opt out, next man up. Hey you, the guy that was gong to have to play for Cal Poly Pamona, would you like to play for UCLA? We'll give you a scholarship if you want, but please tell us if you think its garbage, so we can go after the guy that's getting ready to play for St. Mary's.

I have a sickening feeling that college football is going to see something like a 50% attendance drop when all this dust settles. Hope I'm wrong.

I understand that the middle class is getting tired of the greed of the corporate bosses and some business owners. People amking $9 an hour for a company that reports billion dollar profits per quarter. I get that. Business owners say they can't provide health care for their employees, or they'll go broke. Often, what they really mean is that if they provide healthcare they won't be able to keep the lake house, or the kids enrolled in the Lovett School, a high school for $20,00 per semester. I understand that the middle class and blue collar population are tired of that. But college football players are not being taken advantage of in that way. They are getting a full four year scholarship worth tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars, room, board, health care, and the chance to audition for the NFL. This is not equivalent of working your entire life for a corporation as described above.

I don't know who is going to opt out first, the players who appearantly despise their role in the system, or the donors, not all of whom have deep pockets, who are tired of hearing how bad it is. I am speaking primarily of the PAC12 situation. I am not really speaking about Clemson players, who seem happy to be playing here. But you have to know that what the Pac12 players did, is likely to spread to every league. I hope thePower 5 can agree to work together to try and save this thin. Maybe they can come to an agreement with player that everyone would be happy with, but I don't even see the conference leadership working together very well.

I wonder how long before the Pac-12 says, "well, we're going to you. Good luck in your new endeavors."

24 hour news cycles, politicized channels, one on the left, the other on the right, constantly barking all day every day. Twitter, facebook, your side or my side, no in between, I've been wronged, I deserve this, I deserve that, I just don't see an end to any of it. And the generation that will have to fill stadiums in the future, just stays buried in their phones, probably wouldn't be at the game with their families if someone hadn't guided them to the car while they were looking at their phone. It's all so discouraging. A federal government that is in perpetual stalemate, blue state this, red state that, can't even agree on common sense things to do to save people from a contagious disease. Everyone wants to make a stand, a statement, and refuse to budge. It's all so boring and old and nasty.

Honestly, I don't even think people really like being around other people these days. I think attendance at a lot of events are going to drop, not just sports. But I really think we are at a crossroads with college football. I am so glad we had these last five years of Clemson football. Some of the best in our history. I think they were just in time because I'm not sure how much of college football is going to survive this year of discontent.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College football attendance had been dropping

Aug 4, 2020, 5:52 PM

It definately will be interesting to see leadership step up and halt this downslide that we currently find everywhere.

Some will have this guidance and some will not. Does it begin in Washington? Will the two party system allow it?

Can the NCAA, ADs, commissioners and the media all work together and make intelligent choices.

A lot of work to be done to get us back to being what we all want. Peace and harmony! A pipe dream????

Aug 4, 2020, 6:00 PM

I think most entities will give in to the political correctness of our times. No one seems to have the
gonads to stand up to anyone these days. The low lifes and politicians are taking full advantage of it too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2020, 10:58 PM [ in reply to Re: College football attendance had been dropping ]

There is no leadership, colleges are an extension of the travesty that is education in the USA. Clemson is now a Fortune 500 company bent on spending money hand over fist and embracing the liberal agenda. Clements and company will fold like a cheap suit in the face of the radical left and we will be left holding the bag.

Democracies last about 200 years, ours is an anomaly, college football is on a death march to the same endgame. It is what it is, I will enjoy playing golf on Saturday mornings rather than get up at the crack of dawn and beat a path to Tigertown. We should all learn to watch and appreciate women's softball, soccer, lacrosse - really all the non-revenue sports, these kids play for the love of the game and there's something refreshing about that!

Aug 4, 2020, 5:54 PM

Have people lost interest in College Football or has it just become too expensive to attend?

I’d say the latter. The salaries and facilities are supported by the market (the people that watch it). The cost of competing = you better be paying for the best Coaches & you better have “top level” facilities = money. There is a limit as to how much money the market (the people) has. I think big time college sports are running up against the market’s financial limits. Most folks won’t let their families “do without” in order to watch big time college sports in person.

Aug 4, 2020, 5:55 PM

Anyone and everyone will flock to games and increase attendance when things are 100% cleared, and they will be. Not everyone lives in fear, even if we are cautious during these times.

Football and a packs death valley will be back before we all know it!!

it is likely more about money

Aug 4, 2020, 5:59 PM

it just cost so much now a days for a family to watch football live. Even if you score $20 top deck tickets, that is $100 for a family of 5. NOt including parking , and tailgating.

Baseball is the only blue color sport left.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Aug 4, 2020, 6:06 PM

Maybe Power 5 football should take a look at what happened to NASCAR. Poor management (NCAA), ludicrous investments for seat rights and tickets and over saturation have led to the demise of NASCAR.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2020, 6:22 PM

If the guys of the 12 feel that they can transfer after they have screwed everything in their conference, I hope that no other conference will accept the transfer request and leave the troublemakers high and dry with nowhere to finish out their college career as a FB player, and a free ride for a college education!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The good news is

Aug 4, 2020, 6:43 PM

at least as of today we are all still free to do as we please - participate as a player, fan, advertiser, TV viewer etc or DONT participate as a player, fan, advertiser, TV viewer etc. As long as everyone gets to choose their path, what will be will be. When they start pointing guns at people to play, watch or sponsor then you can feel all sad because you will truly be about to witness the real end.

Aug 4, 2020, 9:02 PM

There is more to than just the virus.
There is the increased cost of Donor(IPTAY) dues,ticket prices,concessions, losing prime tailgating spaces because you lowered your donation level,drive time to games,age of people in attendance,inclement weather,having to stand in long lines;well you get the point.
But on everything else,you pretty much summed it up/

The phone issue is really alarming to me...

Aug 4, 2020, 9:08 PM

it's not just kids either. Look up and talk to someone once and a while? Will gabbing become a lost art?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seem to be heading toward the movie Surrogates***

Aug 4, 2020, 9:27 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could see attendance staying down a bit...

Aug 4, 2020, 9:08 PM

...especially if the economy is slow to rebound.
If it stays down, you might see stadiums rearrange to offer less seats but more space per
Seat and things like this to have full stadium but get more per ticket.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2020, 9:22 PM

Interesting post. Agree with a lot of your thoughts but here’s what I believe. Once attendance declines, maybe players and administrators will rethink the role of the fan. Fans drive the $ that flows into the game. Without fans, players won’t be as valuable and administrators will need to adjust prices to lure fans back. I’m ok with decreasing fan numbers as it might be the one thing that restores a little needed humility and sanity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am very pleased that ND joined for the 2020 football season.***

Aug 4, 2020, 9:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am very pleased that ND joined for the 2020 football season.***

Aug 4, 2020, 11:57 PM

Da mn it, ND has not joined, not even for the season. ND is taking the free ride that Swofford and the ACC is offering them as bait, and ND and their fan base is LTFAO at the bribe attempt the ACC is waving in front of their face and saying, really!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it’s a few things.

Aug 4, 2020, 9:29 PM

1. Rising costs of tickets/seat licenses/concessions.
2. Ease of watching games on TV/internet.
3. More things to do besides go to a football game.

Clemson has, to this point, avoided any real decline in attendance but I think that’s mostly because we have great fans and are currently an elite program. When the day comes when we aren’t elite (hopefully a long time from now), and/or ticket costs keep going up, I expect we will see a decline in attendance also.

The wild card here is the trend toward entitled players. It will be interesting to see how fans respond to player demands and attitudes. I think that a lot of fans will lose interest if this continues.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Aug 5, 2020, 8:17 AM

The rising costs of attendance is the primary factor - plus a emphasis on more "luxury" expereinces - so it is not just the seat price but the overall package price. The "General" ticket cost more, gets less, and has more external costs. So reducing the experience for the "everyone else" and hiking the price is going to drive down attendance.

Worse, the "athletics fees" some schools heap into students can leave a lot of student jilted - even if that means "free" student tickets later. I remember once school I used to work at had a $1,000 athletics fee and a normal class day $100 parking fee. Folks lost their mind when the non-game day parking went to $150 and then $200 because they were building new parking structures but when the Athletics fee jumped $200, meh. Parking for a all-season/all sport on gameday was between $25-300 for the entire year. Mostly it was free if you wanted to walk more than 100 yards.

Finally, my biggest grief with Clemson was their ticket policy for grad students with a financial package. Basically, it was pay full price. I did not get any football "freebies". Basketball was fairly cheap tickets so I went often but as a Grad student busting your but, getting paid little - but not football money - well, I am smart enough with my money to not buy tickets. Sure, I had a decent network that could get me a couple of tickets a season, to the FCS warmup & maybe BC, Maryland or NC State. Got SC tickets in 2008 :) Sure, I wasn't paying full tuition etc with my package, but come on guys, grad students are mostly hustling with limited cash. All they had to do was offer me a cheap 2-3 game whatever package and I would be good with whatever noon game against any yankee school. In comparison, my Jawja friends had anywhere between single game and a half-season package for their grad students even with full tuition waivers/assistantships. Like $9 per game if I remember correctly (upper deck).

If I was too "poor" in grad school to pay the $50+ per ticket - do you think I will pay more now with two young kids and paying daycare cost - which is more than the mortgage? Basically a game day now is well above my monthly entertainment budget.

Meanwhile I grab every discount basketball ticket - go fig.

Aug 5, 2020, 11:37 AM

Guess what, pretty near 75% of the Clemson fan base is in the very same financial situation that you're in. Before my disablement become so painful for to get around in all those hills to climb, and climbing up and down inside the stadium, I would turn down doing things with family and friends to afford a Saturday at Clemson's Death Valley in the fall. And after my disability did get to painful for me to attend the games, I went through a guilty feeling right before a Saturday home game, and I would still make plans to go knowing that I wasn't able, but I would still get my things ready to go on Friday, and change my mind on Saturday morning.

I understand the pull to be at the games, and I also understand how much money it cost to be there. If my disablement hadn't been the cause of me not attending anymore home games, the cost would have, especially with how much the cost has gotten out of hand for the less fortunate, and for the family man that must do what's right for his family.

But with the size they are making TV's now, and as good as the video coverage of today's sporting events are, I'm enjoying the games from the comfort of my La-Z-Boy electric recliner more than ever but, there isn't anything that watching from all the comforts at home can replace that excitement of being one of those fans in the stands.

The money that I'm not spending by traveling 3 hours to Clemson one way, minus all the added pain that I'm not putting myself through by not being at the game makes up for the excitement of not being one of those lucky fans in the stands cheering on our Clemson Tigers. But, I've only been in the stands at DV a few times with the stadium being packed with our fans the way they are since our Tigers have become one of the top elite teams in the country.

I can imagine how the chest of our fans are pushed out around the tailgates now knowing that who ever we will be playing, our chances of winning are much greater than they were when I was at DV on Saturday before a match up with whoever was one of the better teams back when I was there. I still want to be there, but I'm OK now by not being there!!!

Aug 5, 2020, 12:34 PM

To every thing there is a season. If you are still financially and physically able, and the game doesn't become mired in players and coaches enlightening us with their political views, which they are indeed entitled to, show up at the Valley and on the road and cheer like crazy. Personally, if I have to watch athletes kneeling to the anthem, which is not an issue at Clemson as they run down the hill after the national anthem or have to read social justice messages on their jerseys when the NCAA was all over Tebow over Bible verses, I'm done. That's just me. I want to go for the camaraderie at the tailgates and in the stands. I want to go to watch excellent athletes practice their craft. I want to enjoy being with my family and friends who have been going to Death Valley for decades. I want a diversion from everything political. There's far too much of that already in my opinion. However, where we are headed and it's neither good or bad, but simply a choice, is that younger folks have many other interests than I did at their age. Phones and the internet seem to occupy all of our lives more, but especially young folks. I remember being at the Miami game when Kyle Parker hit Jacoby Ford for the winning TD in OT. I was sitting by an obnoxious Miami fan, pardon the redundancy, who said the reason so few fans were there for Miami was that they had a whole lot more options to spend a Saturday in South FL than we did in Upstate SC. He was right to a degree. I don't see the overall interest level being carried on by the current and future generations in football. That's neither good nor bad. It's their choice.Things change. SC was once dominated by indigo production. I'm not aware of anyone growing indigo in SC now. Rice was king for a while. There are a few boutique rice growers in the state now, but very few. Tobacco which played a big role in my parents being able to eat, due to this cash crop, is diminished in the state. Cotton still has a role. Textiles are virtually gone, but automobile production and airplane production is in. The times are changing. Enjoy supporting IPTAY and CU sports if it remains enjoyable. If it becomes less than that and it appears it may be headed that way, enjoy the outdoors and your family. Regardless, I don't see future generations spending their time and money as many of us have.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Might better ask your Dr for a Zoloft. It will help***

Aug 5, 2020, 1:38 PM

Re: Might better ask your Dr for a Zoloft. It will help***

Aug 5, 2020, 3:11 PM

I'm just fine without any psychotic meds ;)!!! Two 100mg long acting oxycontin pills a day, and a 36 chanel portable tens unit, and a permanent implanted spinal cord phibulator is about the most that can be done for me even though none of it helps much for all the nerve damage done that causes some of the worst muscle spasms that causes more pain than a human should have to ever experience!!!

I tell anybody who I can get to stop what they're doing for a few minutes to listen, no job for yourself or for an employer is worth the risk of a back injury from lifting heavy items, your entire existence for the rest of your life can change in a bad way in a instance, and that is what happen with me!!! I don't think that a week goes by that I don't clearly remember October 4th 2006, right after my lunch break, my life changed in a bad way for the rest of my life unless medical research can someday soon find a fix for my back injury. I know that I pray everyday that they will find a fix, and if it ain't soon, I will be chit out luck!!!!

Re: Might better ask your Dr for a Zoloft. It will help***

Aug 5, 2020, 4:35 PM

Wow that was difficult to read. My heart goes out to you! Praying for you! Seriously.

My boys have no interest in sports(except e “sports”)

Aug 5, 2020, 5:01 PM

I suspect they are not alone. I have always loved sports, but was unable interest either of them. I’m in my 50’s (gen X.) I have soured on sports given the politics over the last several years. It’s supposed to be an escape. I’ll turn on the news if I want to be lectured. I’d also rather spend my money elsewhere. I think college sports is in a very rough ride. These players picked the absolute worst time to try and bargain for anything. To make demands at this point is almost laughable. I’ll wish them luck but I won’t be attending or watching anything other than Clemson. The only reason I’ll continue to watch our guys is that they are good kids, and are a reflection of a class act coach. If that goes away, so will I.

Re: My boys have no interest in sports(except e “sports”)

Aug 5, 2020, 5:11 PM

There is always a bright spot. These video gamers develop pretty amazing hand eye coordination. Terrorists of the world should not rest easy. Future military drone operators, jet jockeys, and helicopter pilots are getting an early start in honing their skills. There is a lot to be said for team sports. Learning to put the goal of the team ahead of self, learning from loss despite giving it everything and learning how to win graciously are all great things that come from participating in sports. However, I am totally serious, that if some of these kids choose a military career that are deep into e sports, we are gonna have some badass actors serving our country.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I stopped reading afer "when all of this is over"

Aug 6, 2020, 3:04 AM

It's not going to be over, write that in your book and say your prayers....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic