Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College baseball teams trying to play like the pros... makes for a hard watch.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

College baseball teams trying to play like the pros... makes for a hard watch.

Mar 1, 2019, 10:48 PM

Even when you win, it leaves a lot to desire. Tons of strikeouts. No sense of situational hitting. Apparently bunting guys over or bunting for a hit is illegal. What is this protecting the plate you speak of? Oh, that 400’ hole between 1st and 2nd... nah, solely a pull hitter to left. Can’t hit it over there. Don’t know how and don’t want to anyway. My power is to the left. Batting average isn’t all that important anyway.

And everyone sitting dead red on fastballs. Lort, if you got a guy that can sorta control a breaking ball... All-American in the making.

Launch angles. How bout we work on making CONTACT first?

Hopefully we see some adjustments tomorrow and come out more aggressive in hitter’s counts. For players looking for fastballs in fastball counts, I saw a lot of tentativeness on good pitches to hack at.

I witnessed a lot of good tonight and promise for this season. Work on batting fundamentals and let’s see how far we can go.

GOOOO TIGERS!!!

~JKB

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College baseball teams trying to play like the pros... makes for a hard watch.

Mar 1, 2019, 11:19 PM

Seems like we are waiting on pitches too much. Got to swing in situations, especially when the strike zone is wide. I'm no coach or professional , so I digress.

You are preaching to the choir here . . .

Mar 1, 2019, 11:22 PM

We have no concept of situational hitting. It's not being encouraged or taught. It's not our current philosophy.

I promised Tnet, I'd get off my soapbox and watch and try to learn to enjoy this style of ball we play. I am trying. It is not the game I was raised playing. It is foreign to me.

You nailed it, it is the Pro Style. The kids love playing it!!! It is the game of the future . . . and I guess, our present!!!

We have no one to blame for this loss but ourselves. Too many squandered opportunities. We did not deserve to win. We failed when it counted the most. It happens . . . time to regroup and fight like Tigers tomorrow . . . it's time to even the series!!!

Rest well Tigers as tomorrow we do battle with the enemy!!!!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College baseball teams trying to play like the pros... makes for a hard watch.

Mar 1, 2019, 11:25 PM

Well said and sadly it’s correct. I like Monte and really think he’s recruiting well and all that but the entire time he’s been here, very few batters choke up on the bat and just try to poke it somewhere. Like everyone goes up there and wants to be Seth Beer.

Nothing wrong with plate patience and making the starter pitch cnt go up and work freebies etc but that 8th inning was ridiculous. Three k’s looking. Back in the day, the only time that would happen is when the pitcher came to the plate.

Frustrating hitting philosophy when you play good teams with pitchers that don’t give too many freebies.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2019, 11:34 PM

Agreed, I really like Monte and he’s become quite the recruiter but sometimes I think we’d do better if he hired an additional coach just for hitting because right now he’s obviously the primary hitting coach, but as the head coach he obviously has to tend to other things and doesn’t get all the time an assistant would get. That’s just my 2 cents though. I think he has the potential to get us to the top, we just have to capitalize on these opportunities

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 2, 2019, 12:03 AM

Yep. Agreed. We had double digit hits today and that’s the second time this season? Maybe 3rd. But we also had 13 k’s.

First and third with no outs. At a minimum that runner on 3rd has to score. Sure, you’d love to load the bases with no outs but not at the expense of a strikeout. Now that we have speed, just make sure you make contact ... even to short, the team will try the dp and conceed the run.

I’d rather see the batter try and bunt than watching strike 3 even if the count is 3-2. You really don’t have to swing, just drop the bat and make contact. Especially when it’s the early to mid innings and you’re trying to chip away at the lead.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 2, 2019, 2:03 AM

The best coaches use all the tools in their belt. The bunt, hit and run, get em over and get Em in tool is missing. You can play long ball and short ball, no rules against it.

Mar 2, 2019, 7:14 AM [ in reply to Re: College baseball teams trying to play like the pros... makes for a hard watch. ]

You’re dumb as a brick. Monte has plenty of time to work with these guys. What a joke of an excuse to keep monte around. Monte handles the hitting!!!!! I don’t give a crap if it’s lecroy throwing the BP. We use Monte’s philosophy, not lecroys. All of this is Monte’s fault

Mar 2, 2019, 7:11 AM

Elaborate on the “a lot of good” that u saw last night. Please sir cause I must’ve missed it

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic