Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coaching Issues With Skalski Tackling Form
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Coaching Issues With Skalski Tackling Form

Dec 11, 2017, 10:27 AM

Urban Meyer in this video explains rugby tackling which is the most effective way to tackle and avoid leading with the head. Since Skalski is a veteran player and has done this multiple times, it appears he is not being taught the correct way to tackle.https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rugby+tackling+meyer

Obviously, this is a safety issue and Ryan Shazier was paralyzed when he made an almost identical tackle while playing for Pittsburg.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dooosh ALERT

Jan 6, 2021, 11:12 PM

What a typical Ohio-Yankee thing to post.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dooosh ALERT

Jan 6, 2021, 11:25 PM

He’s bored while cooking more meth.

and it's cold in Ohio*

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Coaching Issues With Skalski Tackling Form

Jan 6, 2021, 11:13 PM

Urban Meyer is a waste of oxygen.

Jan 6, 2021, 11:25 PM

this is pretty much exactly what Skalski did only Desmond didn't spin into him....

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 11:50 PM

he should have slid.

Jan 6, 2021, 11:54 PM

he couldn't. he was still mad about last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 7, 2021, 12:10 AM

58%. Nobody listens.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Coaching Issues With Skalski Tackling Form ]

Not pretty much that is exactly what he did but even Meyer has it wrong. He is in the right position and has the right form, but he needs his head up! You have to lift your head up to see what you are doing.

Most people think the targeting rule is to protect the ballcarrier from a concussion or some other head or neck injury. But actually history has taught us the person that gets hurt more times than not with that type of tackling is the defensive player. More than a few players have ended up in a wheelchair with a spinal cord injury thanks to bad form and making contact first with the crown of the helmet.

But the fact remains Fields spun into the hit. Fields hit himself hurt doing something dumb.

When you watch film on Fields he does that a lot. It’s not a spin move to break a tackle, he does it to take a hit. He does it every time he rushes for a TD if he thinks he is going to get hit crossing the goal line.

A lot of running QB’s started doing this a few years ago. Evidently they think it’s a better way to take a hit, but it’s not because it exposes the spine and kidneys.

At first I thought they were doing it for ball security but then I noticed they did not typically hold the ball tighter to their body or wrap it up with both hands. So it’s not about ball security.

Evidently somebody started doing it a few years ago and other quarterbacks started doing it because as we know these kids love to copy each other.

Let’s be honest. If Fields isn’t on the ground hurt the booth doesn’t review that hit and call targeting.

That being said, Skalski needs to start getting his head up. Interestingly on the ACC network Mark Herzelik (sp) say he thinks Skalski can’t get his head up because of that dumb old school rigid neck wrap on his shoulder pads. He said the helmet hits it and prevents you from lifting your head up. I’m pretty sure that’s what they were originally designed for. Keep your head from being pushed back. They were real popular back in the 70s and 80s when I played football. But I never used one I thought they were stupid.

Jan 9, 2021, 6:50 AM

Well said and absolutely correct. AMEN!

Jan 7, 2021, 1:51 AM

Says the daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, life as a Coot!!!!

Jan 7, 2021, 1:55 AM

Man, these chicken come out in herds when they don't have to listen daily on their coot radio just how bad they are. Those chicken fans are just like chicken chit, terrible!!!

In nut necklace's defense - there hasn't been a singe OSU

Jan 7, 2021, 7:02 AM

Player thrown out of a national Championship game in the last 5 seasons.....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How are things at u6c ?

Jan 7, 2021, 7:24 AM

LOL

Jan 7, 2021, 7:33 AM

every kid in the country is taught the proper way toform tackle from pee wee football all the way to the pros. They work on it every single day. You are not going to make a lot of friends, or a valid point by accusing our staff of teaching improper technique. They should already know better before thy even step foot on a college campus.

and anyone blaming this on Fields spinning at the last minute needs to just let it go. Skalski admitted what he did was wrong. He put himself in harms way by lowering his head. that is why the rule is there, to protect the person making the hit. Friday would have been a reel bummer had he been taken off on a cart.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 10:55 AM

Not saying that Skalski was taught to lead with his head. Am saying that he wasn't taught emphatically enough to avoid leading with his head. Someone as experienced as him shouldn't have this problem with multiple violations.

Was Shaun Wade coached at Ohio State?

Jan 7, 2021, 12:29 PM

Clearly not. Maybe. Probably.***

Jan 7, 2021, 1:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Was Shaun Wade coached at Ohio State?

Jan 8, 2021, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Was Shaun Wade coached at Ohio State? ]

Wade was going for the shoulder and Lawrence ducked into the tackle.(Still a violation under the rules but debatable whether it should be) Wade hasn't been ejected twice like Skalski who simply put his head into Fields without Fields ducking into it. Skalski was trying to tackle Fields with his head and Wade on the other hand was trying to tackle Lawrence in the shoulder area.

So targeting, leading with the crown of the helmet is not OK,

Jan 8, 2021, 5:04 PM

unless your guy is doing it. Gotcha. It’s ok to go for the shoulder or even the head (if the player ducks into it) but not OK to tackle the body? It’s OK to lead with the head if you’re aiming for the shoulder? If Lawrence doesn’t duck where does he get hit? The rib cage? Your stance on targeting is completely contradictory. I guess if we go back and do a film study we will never see Wade lead with his head to tackle? Yeah right. Just admit you have lost your argument and you have a double standard. Move on dude.

11 whiners———>

Re: So targeting, leading with the crown of the helmet is not OK,

Jan 8, 2021, 10:16 PM

A major point of the rule is to protect the tackling player. One should never tackle head first because it risks paralysis as happened to Ryan Shazier who made almost exactly the same tackle. Skalski was improperly using his head from the very beginning -- Wade was aiming for shoulder to shoulder and TL ducked into it causing their heads to snag and collide. Wade was not leading with his head.

Jan 8, 2021, 11:50 PM

I have been mostly going by memory on Shaun Wade. Reviewed it more closely now. TL did duck very low, but Wade still had time to avoid the head to head. Wade was under coached on this play. He only has one violation compared to at least 2 for Skalski that I am aware of. Admit mistake with respect to Wade.

Jan 9, 2021, 12:09 AM

Saying Trevor “ducked very low” as if he somehow contributed to how he was targeted is as stupid as saying a girl asked to be sexually assaulted because of the way she dressed.

I can only pray you work at Zaxby’s. I don’t eat there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I post a photo of Wade leading with the crown of his helmet

Jan 9, 2021, 5:54 AM [ in reply to Re: So targeting, leading with the crown of the helmet is not OK, ]

and this is what you post. Wow. Just wow. Go back and watch the replay 1000x and you will see Wade leading with the crown of his helmet 1000x. 100% textbook targeting.

Re: Was Shaun Wade coached at Ohio State?

Jan 8, 2021, 6:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Was Shaun Wade coached at Ohio State? ]

hugh? what game were you watching?

Jan 7, 2021, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Coaching Issues With Skalski Tackling Form ]

You mean all 2 of them?

Jan 7, 2021, 1:21 PM

SOME OF THE BULLSH!T YOU READ ON THIS BOARD TRULY BOGGLE THE MIND

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great teaching video from Urban...

Jan 7, 2021, 9:23 AM

but I'll add that coaching isn't the issue with Skalski...I very seriously doubt anyone teaches that tackling style and leading with the helmet has happened to every team and it happens many times a game that doesn't get called. Like others have said, its basically holding...you cant call it every play and save it for the obvious ones.

I do have one comment on the rugby tackle, its confusing to me that its a new concept of sorts. When I played high school in the late 90s, we were taught to tackle the exact same way rugby way Urban is teaching. The late 90s brought about the spread and high powered offenses as people set to mimic Hal Mumme and similar offenses...the game got pretty spread out and all I remember is tackling just like he described.

Seems odd but those tackling techniques dont seem to be anything innovative. Besides, anyone thats played more than 5 plays on defense can tell you its nearly impossible to 'fit' a guy up straight on tackling...those scenarios just dont happen much and that is the most likely way to get run over unless you are much stronger than the ball carrier.

Good video, but not exactly innovative.

Thanks for your input ... Goodbye.***

Jan 7, 2021, 10:08 AM

BTW, does he practice this technique with his shirtless buddy on the yacht?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Fat, slow and stupid is no way to go through life, son. Get

Jan 7, 2021, 10:18 AM

outside and shovel some snow out of your Ohio driveway for a change. Also, keep working on that excuse list for your beatdown at the hands of a real national power next week. And it will be next week, the CFP ain't gonna remake the rules for you like the Little 10 does. :)

Yes, you did beat us on your fifth try. Congratulations, you are Queen for a Day. We will be back next year, I have a feeling that, if you are forced to play a whole season next year, you will not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 11:19 AM

Urban is a putz

Jan 7, 2021, 11:52 AM

See Lavar Arrington comment on Urban here at 5:15. States that Urban has unique ability to connect to people and get them to commit to system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1DZvVLxbaA

Jan 7, 2021, 12:24 PM

Did urban coach Shaun Wade last year and coach Chase Young to choke the QB? Asking for a friend.

Jan 8, 2021, 11:26 PM

Actually, no he didn't

Too bad Urban couldn't connect to his players so

Jan 7, 2021, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Coaching Issues With Skalski Tackling Form ]

that they could beat Clemson.

Urban's record against Clemson, 0-2

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Deer FailyDuck

Jan 8, 2021, 10:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Coaching Issues With Skalski Tackling Form ]

Urban is a piece of work. I’m a little embarrassed for you posting this drivel here knowing what a slimeball Urban is. You see what you want to see with no objectivity, clearly, but under what commendable or admirable leadership does a head coach allow Percy Harvin to beat a coach within an inch of his life, but cover it up with no repercussions? What kind of leadership covers up when players of his break into his home and steal his belongings? What kind of leadership turns their head to known domestic violence by an employee? What kind of leadership covers up rape allegations? What kind of leadership strays on their wife with a college coed then tells the world he was having stress-induced “medical issues” only to return to the same job a few years later?

Face it, OSU is relevant because it’s a win at all cost business. There is nothing admirable about OSU, their culture or their program so the projection of poor coaching or play by Clemson just makes us laugh.

174 career tackles

Jan 7, 2021, 11:59 AM

2 penalties? 3? 4?

LOL, you stupid.

Jan 7, 2021, 12:26 PM

You tell um COOT.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive