Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson's path to Atlanta Peach Bowl requires UGa win
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,423

Clemson's path to Atlanta Peach Bowl requires UGa win

Dec 7, 2019, 10:17 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think any path for Clemson to play in Atlanta requires an UGa win today.

Clemson as #1 seed (requires UGa over LSU):
Obviously, if Clemson were the #1 seed, Clemson could pick the Peach Bowl. For Clemson to be the #1 seed almost certainty requires both LSU and OSU to lose - hence it requires an UGa win over LSU.

OSU as #1 seed (OSU picks Phoenix if UGa beats LSU):
If Ohio State is the #1 seed, the Buckeyes would likely pick Atlanta if the Ok-Baylor winner is the #4 seed - which happens if LSU beats UGa. If UGa beats LSU, however, then LSU drops to #4 if Clemson also wins. If that happens, Ohio State picks Phoenix instead of Atlanta to face LSU.

LSU or UG as #1 seed (Clemson is not in Atlanta):
For LSU to be #1 seed means LSU beat UGa. LSU would pick Atlanta. UGa could only be the #1 seed if the top 3 seeds (OSU, LSU, and Clemson) all lose. UGa would pick the peach.

As long as Clemson and UGa wins Clemson is in Atlanta. Nothing else would change that!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson: Academic Excellence! Athletic Excellence!

My hatred for UGA is greater than my desire to play in Atlanta

Dec 7, 2019, 10:27 AM

Hope the puppies are embarrassed, but not enough to put LSU in #1 spot

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson's path to Atlanta Peach Bowl requires UGa win

Dec 7, 2019, 10:56 AM

Your scenario may be correct, but the #1 seed, whether Clemson or whomever, does not get to "pick" their venue.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2019, 11:05 AM

#1 got to pick their playoff venue up to last season. What changed with this one?

Dec 7, 2019, 11:09 AM

Technically the CFP committee picks locations. But most think they contact number 1 team and asks their preference of where they want to play.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2019, 11:53 AM

The only guidance is "don't put the number one seed where they have a location disadvantage."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2019, 12:51 PM

I think that also applies to the #2 and 3 seed in that they will not put the higher seed in a location that is a disadvantage to them.

I keep hearing different stories on how this works

Dec 7, 2019, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson's path to Atlanta Peach Bowl requires UGa win ]

But my sources are the talking heads - so take it for what its worth.

I have definitely heard/seen members so of the media say that the #1 seeded team gets to pick - hence why Bama "chose" the Orange Bowl last year vs. Oklahoma instead of playing Oklahoma in Dallas. That said, if the #1 team does not pick and it is totally up to the committee I can still see the committee sending Bama to the Orange Bowl for the same reason - not to pit them against Ok in Dallas.

I have heard some media members say that a #1 Ohio St might choose to play in Phoenix or in Atlanta (depending on opponent). As we know, however, some media members are better than others when it comes to knowing what they are talking about.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson: Academic Excellence! Athletic Excellence!

Re: I keep hearing different stories on how this works

Dec 8, 2019, 12:59 PM

The talking heads need to go to the CFB site and read this.

"When assigning teams to sites, the committee will place the top two seeds at the most advantageous
sites, weighing criteria such as convenience of travel for its fans, home?crowd advantage or
disadvantage and general familiarity with the host city and its stadium. Preference will go to the No.
1 seed."

That means that even if we were the #2 seed and playing Ohio State, we would still not go to Atlanta because preference goes to the #1 seed which is LSU and Atlanta is more advantageous than Phoenix.

If UGA beats LSU...

Dec 7, 2019, 11:01 AM

Don't bet the Ponderosa on them not jumping Clemson for #2 spot. Same result for match-ups, though.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,423
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic