Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson vs. OU Opponent Stat Comparison
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,709

Clemson vs. OU Opponent Stat Comparison

Dec 16, 2015, 4:38 PM

I had some free time and was curious so I tried to break down Clemson and OU's opponents' stat rankings to give us a better picture of how our overall PPG YPG stack up viewed in light of what overall strength of opponent.

I'm not sure it's decipherable and the gist of it seems to be Clemson played worse offenses and better defenses and OU vice versa (which raises a chicken-or-egg scenario) but these are some general thoughts:

- OU played statistically 3 of the worst defenses in CFB in Tulsa, Kansas, and Tex Tech.

- Clemson played 5 top 25 defenses. OU played one in the top 25 and it was Akron. They played zero in-conference defenses in the top 50.

- Clemson ran roughshod over BC who was and ended up being statistically the best D in the country.

- OU's defense played statistically the top 3 offenses in the country in Tex Tech, Baylor, and TCU and 4 of the best when you throw in OK St (three of those in a row). They did play three of those against back-up QBs.

- Clemson played 3 of the worst offenses in CFB in Wake, BC, and USuCk (and we know gave up a lot of points to the Coots).

- App St ended up being a very solid team. They didn't play a Power 5 schedule (remember, they're FBS now) but won 10 games and are basically in the top 25 in most statistical categories.

- OU is holding opponents to 100 yards less than their average YPG and about 13 points less per game than their averages. They're also averaging about 100 yards per game more than they're opponents typically give up on D and scoring about 15 more PPG than their opponents typically give up.

- The Tigers are gaining about 150 more YPG than their opponents typically give up, scoring 15 more PPG than their opponents' averages. The Tiger D is holding opponents to about 100 yards less than their averages and about 8 points less per game than their opponents' averages.

- When you look at everything in conjunction, these two teams look pretty evenly matched--OU has better numbers against worse defenses and worse defensive stats against better offenses and Clemson has worse numbers against better defenses and vice versa.

I also threw on some stats comparing Watson and Gallman to Mayfield and Perine. Watson and Gallman put up some really solid numbers against statistically much better defenses (although he threw more than twice as many picks). I was also surprised to see that Mayfield only averages 35 ypg rushing--if he beats us with his legs it will be on a scramble a la Conner Shaw and not on a called QB run (which makes you wonder why they don't incorporate that more into their offensive scheme).

Anyway, like I said, I'm not sure if this really tells us anything we didn't know but I thought it may be interesting to post.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson vs. OU Opponent Stat Comparison

Dec 16, 2015, 4:43 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YeP...I'm with robertN, and who are you saying will tie the other?!??

Dec 16, 2015, 4:47 PM

??????????

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2015, 4:51 PM

One stat that seems to never get mentioned

Mayfield has been sacked 35 times

Watson has been sacked 12 times

To me that means that Mayfield is getting sacked nearly 3 times a game...Watson once.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chart, please

Dec 16, 2015, 4:56 PM

or spreadsheet.....yeah, a spreadsheet!

Dec 16, 2015, 5:23 PM

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/11/adjusted-net-yards-per-passing-attempt-differential-stat/

Got more time on your hands? Take a look at this please

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,709
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic