Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Chase Young
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Chase Young

Dec 30, 2019, 1:42 PM

So, I hadn't watched any of Ohio State's games this year before the bowl game, but was all the hype about Chase Young warranted? He had some nice stats, but was really shut down in his last few games. He had two total tackles and one QB hurry against the Tigers, had six total tackles against Wisconsin but no sacks, and did nothing against Michigan. For the year, his sack total is impressive, but was all the hype warranted? His stats are similar overall to Beasley's in 2016 -

Young (2019) - 32 solo tackles, 14 assists, 16.5 sacks, 6 forced fumbles, 3 pass deflections
Beasley (2016) - 32 solo tackles, 7 assists, 15.5 sacks, 6 forced fumbles, 1 recovery for a TD, 2 pass deflections

Again, great stats, but Heisman-worthy? Really? Is there something I'm missing? Again, I didn't watch any of their games, but for all the attention the announcers were showing Young the other night (showing where he was before many of the snaps), he didn't really seem to do that much overall. Was it that our O-line and backs were just able to double-team him to neutralize him? If that were the case, you'd think the other linemen for OSU would have had a field day, but they had only three total sacks, one fewer than the Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chase Young

Dec 30, 2019, 1:43 PM

Ask David Pollack, he’ll tell you all about.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 1:44 PM

Just another media hype like Quinnen William's last year who made hay against weak opposition.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 1:45 PM

Not Heisman worthy. Just ESPN over hype after a game w a few sacks. It is really disgusting how gullible the Heisman voter are

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 1:45 PM

Game plan. Give the offensive stat a ton of credit for neutralizing him throughout the game.

Same with Isaiah Simmons. Ohio State coaches did a great job scheming so that he could not dominate.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chase Young is no Isaiah Simmons

Dec 30, 2019, 3:04 PM

Simmons interception was pretty big in the game vs Ohio State. On the other hand, Young's impact was minimal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Media Manipulation at It’s Worst

Dec 30, 2019, 1:47 PM

Not only was he non-existant in this game, he was that way for the last several of the season.

His Heisman candidacy was one of the most over-hyped media plays I have seen. Not saying he wasn’t an excellent player. But if you will remember, he came out of no where, part way through the season, after the first Wisconsin game. He died out just as rapidly after he sat out a couple of games.

Re: Media Manipulation at It’s Worst

Dec 30, 2019, 1:51 PM

He did seem to be over hyped but he will be either the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft. I think the Goat at Lsu goes one especially if they beat us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is a dang good player...

Dec 30, 2019, 1:50 PM

and worthy of the praise, IMO. Defensive guys dont get Heisman hype much and Im not sure he was anymore deserved of it than others. ESPN acted like no one had every done what he did and it is just crap...he got the accolades more so than others bc he plays at OSU and they were undefeated. I've mentioned before that the kid at Kentucky last year, Josh Allen, did just as much, if not more while playing multiple positions.

anyone with better stats than Beasley

Dec 30, 2019, 2:00 PM

Is a beast

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

anyone with better stats than Beasley

Dec 30, 2019, 2:00 PM

Is a beast

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 2:02 PM

Playing DL is more than just stats. He helps his team mates by taking on double teams and moves the QB off his spot which is not a stat. Chase Young is very good. Believe it or not other teams have good players too.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He also had an uncalled personal foul for...

Dec 30, 2019, 2:04 PM

...trying to twist TL head off when TL was already going down.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He also had an uncalled personal foul for...

Dec 30, 2019, 2:41 PM

This was an example of the thuggery I previously cited.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He also had an uncalled personal foul for...

Dec 30, 2019, 2:48 PM [ in reply to He also had an uncalled personal foul for... ]

BEEN ASKING SINCE IT HAPPENED HOW THERE WAS NOT 2 TARGETING CALLS ON THAT PLAY.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 2:20 PM

I watched several OSU games this year, and Young is a good player, but not what he is hyped to be. It seems that he got most of his stats when playing against slow, inferior OTs. I remember one game that he had about 4 sacks, and those OTs couldn't move at all. Against good OTs, he was just a good player, but not great.

Dec 30, 2019, 2:20 PM

Yes. You missed the 27 articles written every day for six months in O-four-O, swearing to the other worldly abilities of Chase Young.

Extemely over-hyped. He was a non-factor against us.***

Dec 30, 2019, 2:37 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Dec 30, 2019, 2:51 PM

I predicted a while ago that Young would lose millions in the draft because of having to play CLEMSON in the CFP and being exposed. Watch it happen. He should have played sick and skipped our game.

Dec 30, 2019, 2:56 PM

IMO he’s the real deal, and will have a great NFL career, at some point you have to give credit to the opposing teams for slowing him down ... if you don’t think some of the rushed passes or a few of the sacks (not directly him but was bc we paid a lot of attention to him and where he was using multiple guys ) then you didn’t really watch the game ... same as the people on here that are downplaying XTs year bc if stats, we are running a diff scheme and his job in this scheme is to set the edge not get sacks , we weren’t gonna let chase beat us like that but he def had impacts on some plays bc of that

Dec 30, 2019, 2:56 PM

IMO he’s the real deal, and will have a great NFL career, at some point you have to give credit to the opposing teams for slowing him down ... if you don’t think some of the rushed passes or a few of the sacks (not directly him but was bc we paid a lot of attention to him and where he was using multiple guys ) then you didn’t really watch the game ... same as the people on here that are downplaying XTs year bc if stats, we are running a diff scheme and his job in this scheme is to set the edge not get sacks , we weren’t gonna let chase beat us like that but he def had impacts on some plays bc of that

Dec 30, 2019, 3:55 PM

Guys,guys,guys!! The media (the MEDIA) very simply extrapolated his actual stats to the 2 games he was suspended and concluded that he was the greatest dl this year. Simple conclusions for simple minds is simply logical.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic