Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Chances Venables takes a head coach gig?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,784

Chances Venables takes a head coach gig?

Nov 14, 2020, 9:31 AM

A 247 article claims there are whispers Venables may be open to head coaching now. Has anyone heard anything about this?
https://247sports.com/college/clemson/LongFormArticle/2020-college-football-coaching-carousel-Tom-Herman-Will-Muschamp-Jim-Harbaugh-Brent-Venables-Luke-Fickell-154597632/?fbclid=IwAR2A_wIqSnGCmGWmPWVK1eIIlJ4VefDV-HvNEWca7Tl9umGK84J9wwRIHGg

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chances Venables takes a head coach gig?

Nov 14, 2020, 9:39 AM

With his boys on the team and budgets being devastated from COVID, I don't see this as the year to make the jump.

Nov 14, 2020, 9:41 AM

Yeah, tons of speculation about Texans too. Coach V would be miserable in the NFL and he knows it. Tyler and Jake coming into their own, think he wants to finish that out first.

Double his salary and give him lifetime contract with guarantee he's Clemson head coach when Dabo decides it's time. He's happy, stress free and has all the leeway to develop/tinker with schemes... What else would one want. Dream come true.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo has already shown he will do things his own way. It

Nov 14, 2020, 9:49 AM

wouldn't surprise me to see him elevate Coach Venables to a true "Co-Head Coach" position, taking a corresponding pay cut to allow Venables salary to be increased, if that is what it took to keep him. He knows how good the chemistry between them is, and how rare that level of trust is in the coaching profession.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2020, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Chances Venables takes a head coach gig? ]

Now is not the time to be doubling salaries . He is a good coach but the defense's performance lately has been less than stellar considering the talent he has imo.

Skalski not playing much in the national championship game, unless there was some really solid reason other than scheme, was also very bad judgement. Maybe he was injured but if not, then you got to consider that as an awful move.

I have not seen the discipline or fire from the D this year like ive seen in the past. Not his best coaching year.

Nov 14, 2020, 10:18 AM

Hey Cornflakes,

Your point about increasing salaries is well taken. However, I disagree about CBV's handling of the defense. First, Skalski was playing in the NCG and was dismissed because of a targeting penalty. Also, the defense has been debilitated with many injuries this year. In addition, the offense has put more pressure on the defense in the last three games with two scoop scores and one pick six. And the inability to come up with a first down at the end of last week's game put the game in the hands of a weakened defense. Nothing wrong with CBV's coaching. Injuries have really taken a toll.

I just don’t see it...

Nov 14, 2020, 10:01 AM

..some guys are not head coach material and he’s one of them. A defensive genius, but not much for interviews and all the soft stuff that a head coach must be great at.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2020, 10:31 AM

Besides having his boys playing for him, his girls will be mad if he leaves Clemson before they finish college.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,784
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic