Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can Utah or Oklahoma give OSU or LSU a Challenge?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Can Utah or Oklahoma give OSU or LSU a Challenge?

Dec 4, 2019, 10:27 PM

The consensus at the water cooler at work(not literally speaking) is there is zero chance either Oklahoma or Utah could give whoever ends up at #1 a game. Be it LSU or Ohio St. BTW, I could see the committee giving LSU SEC "big-dawg" credit for defeating Georgia and putting them ahead of Ohio St.
***That would be silly b/c they would be giving them credit for something SC did in Athens to the same team.
Any who.

I love Utah's defense because they are built more like a team built in the deep south. Very physical and tough. They are solid against the run and pass; but don't see them having enough team speed to challenge either LSU or OSU with their offense!

Oklahoma would be my choice and the team I hope gets in. They can at least score with these teams! Lincoln Riley would have time to find exactly how he wants to attack a weak LSU defense. And, in my opinion, an untested Ohio St. defense versus someone who can match them athletically! Indiana is spread team but "have no where near the athletes you need to challenge an Ohio St"! The rest of the teams on their schedule are more of the traditional Big 10 two TE offenses. Ohio St. practices against their own offense I guess so there is that. But, it's different in the game when an opponent can match you athlete for athlete. Nobody - not even Michigan can do that. The recruiting numbers indicate that and Michigan's lethargic offense only made matters worse this year! They didn't know if they were a spread or a 12 personnel team. Penn St either! Don't take my word look at OSU recruiting versus their two best opponents! Let alone Minnesota! Or Wisconsin!

Oklahoma on the other hand does get some good talent! They don't always play up to their stars on defense; but they get them.

I have to admit I only watched Utah twice all year so I could be off base with them. And, is why I am asking.

Thanks!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can Utah or Oklahoma give OSU or LSU a Challenge?

Dec 4, 2019, 10:34 PM

I haven’t watched either team, but from resume, Oklahoma would have 2 top 10 wins over Baylor (given a win Sat.) and a top 25 win in Ok state whereas Utah has no wins versus top 25 teams. Utah would be better for a change of pace, but I think OU gets the nod.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 11:03 PM

Valid question in my opinion, and one I had not really considered before. That said, I dont think Utah stays within 2 TDs of Bucks, likely 3. They just dont jump out at me personally. As for Sooners.. maybe a punchers chance. Last years Sooners with Kyler Murry I think would light the Suckeyes up, but Jalen... I am not a believer. He hits receivers, but rarely in stride, so not the same YAC. CeeDee Lamb is legit and to me their true MVP, which is why I think they slay Baylor if he plays this time, but is it enough to down OhioSt? Maybe with some turnovers, a few lucky bounces, who knows? But I definitely wouldnt bet the nest egg.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 11:32 PM

Yes, each of them can, either one, or the other... such is CFB in my experience. And I can't wait to see what happens!

Go Tigers!!!

Dec 5, 2019, 5:49 AM

Haven't seen enough of Utah to comment, but Oklahoma could play with either OSU or LSU,but would still lose by about 10 points.

OU could potentially beat LSU

Dec 5, 2019, 5:59 AM

That game would be about 65-64, last possession wins. OSU has too much defense to get walked on by OU. Utah gets destroyed by both. That said, I prefer Utah for health of the game. Inflated egos from beating either helps us.

Speaking recently with family in Texas and Oklahoma,

Dec 5, 2019, 6:02 AM

I'm not convinced the OK folks think they are ready for the CFP again.

Many think that Riley needs more time to prep the whole team, and the most repeated comments were about Clemson's victory over them in the bowl game and 1st round of the CFP.

Regardless, I had to laugh, because their agreed opinion was "We wouldn't want to face Clemson again in the first game." I replied, "We'd be more than happy to face the Sooners." They laughed at that, too!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2019, 6:54 AM

I don't know.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2019, 7:07 AM

They'd likely give LSU all they wanted . Tiger defense is a weakling this year , and if you start putting up big numbers on them I'd say you have a fair shot at beating them .
Problem with OU is they have zero defensive side ... once again .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 5, 2019, 9:45 AM

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, but you can make the exact same argument for Clemson. Our recruits And outclassed everyone on their schedule. Clemson will get test ok offense and defense for the first time in the playoff. We will learn a lot in the last games of the season.

Dec 5, 2019, 9:49 AM

I think Utah is clearly better than OU.

Ohio State would blow out both teams.

LSU could lay 70 on OU if they wanted but Utah's defense would have a chance. Both teams can score on LSU. Utah could stay within 2 TDs but OU would lose by at least 28.

Thank Ya'll

Dec 5, 2019, 12:43 PM

Appreciate the responses! Sounds like whoever ends up 1st will have pretty much a lay up in the 1st round. I tend to agree with what everyone is saying.

You can never say anything in sports is 100%. But, chances are neither could come close to beating either team.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic