Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson world wide recognition
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Clemson world wide recognition

Nov 7, 2018, 8:59 PM

I am on a business trip to Asia. The flight get long, so, I wear casual when flying. This means, Clemson T-shirt and orange Tiger Paw hat.
As I am checking into my hotel on Hong Kong island, 2 guys about 30 years old come running up to me and yell - Clemson Tigers. Surprisingly, they are Aussies and keep up with American football and Clemson is their favorite team. I packed two hats, and gave them one - and made a friend for life.
Then went on to Vietnam and Cambodia. While at the airport a Cambodian a guy comes up to me and asks if the hat I was wearing was for the Tigers. It seems a cousin of his went to school at Clemson years earlier.

Clearly, the football team success has spread the Power-of the Paw worldwide.

Ready to come home before the BC game.

One last thing.

I was hoping I could stream or watch the Louisville game from HK. Channels had 5 soccer games, 1 cricket, and a ping pong match. No American football. So, I go to breakfast around 7 am (12 hour difference in time) and I see two westerners with LSU garb on with laptops. They see my Clemson hat and ask if I want to watch the Bama- LSU game with a group of expats. I join them in a local bar (again 8 am and a full blown party is going on) and there were about 150-200 people with various team garb on. Bama, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio state, even a wake forest. Thankfully, no game chickens. No other Clemson, but we all had a blast. Not much of a game, but the experience was great.

Go Tigers. Looking forward to making it up from St. Pete, Fl for the Duke game.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice informative sports read from afar 1981..

Nov 7, 2018, 9:04 PM

Thx & C U @ DV#1 4 Duke game ~

Go TiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nice informative sports read from afar 1981..

Nov 7, 2018, 9:18 PM

Yep, not gonna see any game chickens in Asia. Nobody is gonna pay to ship a fry cook 6000 miles. They wouldn’t wear coot gear anyway and if they did, no one would know what it was.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$2 Bills with a Paw make a great impression EVERYWHERE!

Nov 7, 2018, 9:09 PM

To state the obvious? Easy to carry:>)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson world wide recognition - Can Confirm

Nov 7, 2018, 9:10 PM

I'm a '96 grad living in Melbourne and I'll slap a Tiger Paw on anything and everything (hence my license plate) and wear orange or Tiger gear any chance I get.

A couple of guys helped me move a couple months ago (I had never met either of them before) and one of them was a keen College Football fan. He saw my Clemson stuff all over the place and knew all about our team. The coach, our QBs (present and past) the history with Alabama of late...SCAR being our mortal enemies.

I had a spare t-shirt and hat I gave him and he nearly broke out into tears of joy. I made him swear an oath of allegiance on the spot and deputized him as an honorary Clemson Tiger fan until the end of time. He accepted with glee!!!

Re: Clemson world wide recognition

Nov 7, 2018, 10:32 PM

Unfortunately, based on observations made during numerous trips to Asia over the years, you won't see much Clemson orange on the streets over there. But you do stand a chance of connecting if YOU wear something orange, so do take along an item or two of Clemson clothing should you travel to that interesting part of the world.

As I mentioned in a post some weeks back, I did wear a Clemson T-shirt when I walked around during the Friday Night Street Market when visiting Chiangmai, Thailand last May. Sadly, no Clemson connection was made that night, but I was noticed by three recent Duke graduates, and spent an enjoyable 30 minutes talking to them. I'm sure they would have been pleased to know I will be flying in from Colorado next week to attend the Duke game. :)

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2018, 6:06 AM

Same here. After 39 trips to Singapore in 10 years, I saw a paw one other time. I was there working when we won the NC in 2017 and trying to watch on my cell phone. I saw Gallman’s touchdown over lunch where we used Payne as a blocking sled and we took the lead. The feed is delayed over ESPN and a hide my a$$ VPN so my wife called me to tell me we won 30 seconds before the feed came through.

Nov 7, 2018, 11:13 PM

Awesome!

I live in Hong Kong, but tend to watch the games at home due to the terrible timing. With a 2 year old at home, my wife would kill me if a sneak to a bar at 8am on Sunday to watch the game.

However for research purposes, do you remember the bar, i know a few other Clemson people here that i could pass this along too.

If you are still in Hong Kong, let me know, we can go get a beer/food.

Nov 7, 2018, 11:31 PM

Hey, in the future I should post earlier and meet up. I get to HK 4-5 times a year.

I do not remember the name, but will hit up the LSU couple who took me there.
Was a few blocks away from Lan Kwai Fong. Looked to be a private place - but that might have been because it was so early.
Was maybe 15 min from Marriott.
Will send it to you when I get it or address.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome, thanks for sharing! +1***

Nov 8, 2018, 6:12 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can I watch the game this weekend in London? Headed to Ital

Nov 8, 2018, 7:07 AM

Anyone know if I can catch the game in London at the hotel? i'm headed to Italy with my case full of Clemson and orange stuff.

Message was edited by: TigerSSR®

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can I watch the game this weekend in London? Headed to Ital

Nov 8, 2018, 8:19 AM

I watched the GT game in Scotland on the Isle of Skye. The hotel had great internet and streamed ESPN using a VPN that spoofs your location to appear to be still in the US. The VPN is www.hidemyass.com. They have a server in the UK that is “wired” back to the US to look like you never left home.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic