Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cal guy coming to Clemson-questions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Cal guy coming to Clemson-questions

Jan 21, 2017, 12:48 PM

Congrats on beating Bama. Great team, great game.
This fall, my team Cal, (for better or worse) is playing the Tarheels in Chapel Hill for our season opener.. For the last several years my wife and I have been going to a non PAC 12 school with a storied football program or stadium. We've never been to Clemson. Anyway, the wife wants to go to Charleston after the Cal NC game and then we want to go to Clemson for your game against Auburn. I like to plan these trips around now as it helps me get through the depression brought on by the end of the College football season.
Couple of questions. 1. TIX- is Auburn a major rival and will I be able to get tix.
2. Recommendations on where to stay in Clemson.
Once again, Congratulations and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
Dave

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cal guy coming to Clemson-questions

Jan 21, 2017, 12:51 PM

Book your hotel in Seneca, it's 5 mins away from stadium. Prob be 15/20 mins due to traffic. Book your hotel in advance...

You should definitely be able to find some tickets for a reasonable price... You'll prob have to pay somewhere close to $500 in all for tix to Aubrun game.

Charleston should be booming around that time of the year. Visit King St, the Market its a lot of things to do downtown

Jan 21, 2017, 12:57 PM

It's a big game, but I think you will be able to get tickets. I'd recommend getting them early, but if not you will be able to get them at the game. Other than ND and FSU, I don't remember any games where you couldn't get something on the street at a decent price. As for reservations, the Coutyard Marriot is nice, but you may consider staying in downtown Greenville. It's only a 30 min drive and the downtown area is awesome and it will be half the price. The Loft or the Hyatt are great. Plenty of shopping and great bars and restaurants.

Jan 21, 2017, 1:02 PM

Charleston is awesome you will love it. I live in Greenville it is 40 minutes away but a great DT and lots of good hotels. If you stay in Greenville stay DT to get the full effect

Jan 21, 2017, 1:05 PM

Will the motels in Clemson allow you to reserve a room for the fall this early ? Thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2017, 1:08 PM

Most of the hotels also have a 2 night minimum.

Jan 21, 2017, 1:59 PM

Definitely stay in Greenville (down town) It is a destination city (downtown). Wonderful food and a great atmosphere. You will enjoy it. Find your hotel, park and walk and EAT. The trolley is free.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2017, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Cal guy coming to Clemson-questions ]

I booked a hotel room for the Carolina game right after the Louisville win and I got it for a pretty cheap # ... The price went up as the game got closer... Idk about booking a room 8 months down the road from now, idk if they'll do it

prepare for extreme heat and humidity

Jan 21, 2017, 1:14 PM

I like staying in Anderson, SC. You should be able to get tix. If you're mostly used to No Cal weather you will suffer in Clemson and may die in Charleston. OK. Bit of an exaggeration, but prepare to be uncomfortable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you planning on a week long vacation?

Jan 21, 2017, 1:18 PM

I'm hoping so, because the games are a week apart. Auburn is our second week game, not opening weekend (I'm not sure why this isn't our opener but isn't).

Be Prepared for Heat and Humidity

Jan 21, 2017, 1:19 PM

NM

Re: Are you planning on a week long vacation?

Jan 21, 2017, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Are you planning on a week long vacation? ]

Yes. Flying into Rdu on 8/31 then flying home from RDU Monday 9/11. I know there's a couple of 4 to 4 1/2 hour drives but we like driving. Driving from. C Hill, to Charleston, then Charleston to Clemson, then Clemson to RDU for the flight home. I have season tix at Cal, though I live in SoCal. We'll miss our 2nd game but it's against Weber State so don't much care and will give my tix to my kid and her husband. We play Ole Miss the next weekend, in Berkeley so have to be home for that one.
I've been to several SEC games in early Sep. so I know to expect the heat and humidity.
Thanks for the help.

Re: Are you planning on a week long vacation?

Jan 22, 2017, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Are you planning on a week long vacation? ]

You don't think it occurred to him to check the dates? Lol. Give him a little credit.

Jan 21, 2017, 1:39 PM

The hotels in Anderson at I-85 exit 19 are fairly reasonable, convenient and don't always require 2 night minimum. If you have points with one of them it will usually be regular points to reserve even if the published $ rate is exhorbitant.
Stop at The Smoking Pig in way to or from Clemson for the best southern BBQ you have ever had.

Jan 21, 2017, 1:44 PM

Historically speaking, Auburn is one of Clemson's longest out-of-conference rivalries with a series of around 50 games. There was a long period of around 25 years in which the two schools stopped playing each other, but the rivalry was rekindled in the late '90s and early 2000s.

Clemson and Auburn share many similarities, both have rural campuses off of I-85 near the Georgia state line, with Atlanta half way in between. Clemson's first football coach was a professor who came to Clemson from Auburn and nicknamed our team the Tigers because of his background at Auburn.

It'll be an awesome first game to experience at Death Valley and will absolutely be a sellout. Aftermarket tickets online will be available probably in the $100 range and up. Or you can take a chance and freelance it on the day of the game and might find a season ticket holder with extra tickets for sale.

I'd recommend staying in the Greenville area for the best selection of affordable restaurants and hotels (45 minute drive or so). If you're interested in more of a quiet get-a-way, checkout renting a mountain cabin around Highlands, NC (about an hour or so north).

Safe travels and Go Tigers!

Jan 21, 2017, 1:49 PM

Thanks for the history. That's one of the reasons we like going to schools we haven't been to. Went to the Kentucky/Georgia game last fall. Had a great time and learned a lot about Lexington, horses and bourbon.

Jan 21, 2017, 2:07 PM

Depends on what kind of shape you are in but it sounds like ur in shape to do all that travel so I don't think the heat will be a problem. Humidity can be uncomfortable but just wear light color clothes.

Have you ever been to the southeast coast? You will fall in love with Charleston. I've lived in SC my whole life and we go to Charleston every year and still find new stuff to see/ enjoy. If you can, stay a few days.

As you already know, college football is a way of life in the south. Make sure you can spend some time in Clemson on gameday. You can gladly tailgate with any of us. Don't forget to see the new facility and slide down the slide. lol

TIA for coming to see Clemson and SC!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome, here is a helpful link

Jan 21, 2017, 1:55 PM

One of the hosts of the Tiger Tailgate Radio Broadcast (Scott Rhymer) has a great blog that he updates throughout the season. Here is a link to his blog post for visiting fans of the Louisville game this past October. It covers many of your questions.

http://tigerpregameshow.blogspot.com/2016/09/a-guide-to-clemson-weekend-for.html

Please bookmark Scott's blog and check it when you are getting ready to arrive...especially once game time is announced as some of his suggestions might change if it is an afternoon game.

Regarding tickets, there will be many available through secondary websites such as the ticket area on this site, and StubHub. I'm not certain how many will be available to the general public, but you can monitor that on the Clemson University athletic site if you would prefer to try and buy them directly from the school. I would like to put a warning up as I am not certain how familiar you are with southern football...if you or your wife hope to sit during the game, do not get seats in the lower deck.

Have a great trip and we look forward to seeing you in the Valley next September! Make sure you wear Clemson gear!

Jan 21, 2017, 1:58 PM

Welcome to the board. I'm sure that your Clemson trip will live up to the hype. For one, auburn is sure to be one of the top three games for us this year, so expect a sell out crowd. Usually the best option for tickets will be a couple of hours before kick off in areas near the stadium. If you prefer to have something in advance, Tiger net tickets on this site, or stub hub are two sources. I also have a number for a local ticket broker if you prefer to go that route. I would expect to pay $100-$125 for a lower deck ticket.

Given this is your first trip to Clemson, depending on your age, I would really recommend staying in town so that you can enjoy the Friday night activities and downtown excitement. If the college scene is not your cuppa tea, nearby communities such as Senaca, Central , Anderson or even Greenville are good alternatives.

Send me a T mail and I will send you information to our tailgate site if you would like to come by and join us.

Don't feel obligated to wear orange, you will be most welcome back n your native school colors.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2017, 1:58 PM

Def stay in downtown Greenville, tons to do and hotel will cost less than half.

It's 40 miles from Clemson but on game day you need plenty of time to get there. Get to Clemson in time to go to all the events like the tiger walk, band pep rally in the amphitheatre, walk to game behind band etc.

Jan 21, 2017, 2:02 PM

Chapel Hill, Charleston and Clemson likely will be warm to hot! Shorts and tee shirt, walking shoes weather! Humidity is also an issue if you are not used to it. Charleston is beautiful, full of history and culture. Restaurants are awesome and shopping is full of variety on and off of King Street. If you want the local favor start with staying at a Bed & Breakfast. Go online for reservations and recommendations.

Definitely consider staying in Greenville for the Clemson game. The downtown is walkable and has great variety of stores, shops and restaurants.

Go ahead and contact Clemson's ticket office to learn about prices.

Go Tigers!

Still haven't gotten over Cal whipping our Aesses

Jan 21, 2017, 2:07 PM

But still cherish I was very last TiGER fan in stadium afterwards, seeing them still celebrating a great win over a big bad Red Neck team and giving seceral Cal fans my paw rag, cap, $2 paw stamped bills, etc.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2017, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Cal guy coming to Clemson-questions ]

One more suggestion: Charlotte, NC airport is a HUB so consider a return flight from there. You might save time and money.

Wrong. Flights to/from RDU are usually at least 30% less than CLT

Jan 21, 2017, 3:29 PM

CLT price gouges like crazy because they know they can. Avoid CLT if at all possible.Trust me, I live in CLT and have driven to RDU, GSP, and even ATL for flights. Unless you can fly Allegiant out of Concord...

Jan 21, 2017, 2:27 PM

get a place on lake Keowee, maybe aribnb.

You might consider staying in Asheville at the Biltmore. Or downtown Greenville SC

Jan 21, 2017, 2:27 PM

Google them.

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Stay in Greenville, just pay premium early on secondary...

Jan 21, 2017, 2:47 PM

...market.

No telling what will happen to ticket demand next year. While we lose a lot, the excitement for the first big game of the year will probably jack up prices a bit.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Jan 21, 2017, 3:00 PM

Stay in Greenville. .... I can't really add much to what has already been said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

If your staying in Clemson,

Jan 21, 2017, 3:05 PM

I would highly recommend university inn hotel. I stay there everytime i go because it's close enough to walk to the stadium from the hotel and you get to walk right through tigertown. Also, you won't have to worry b about gameday traffic after the game which is an absolute nightmare. It takes you 20 min (If not longer) to get a mile down the road

Used to travel often to San Fran and Berkeley with work

Jan 21, 2017, 3:25 PM

in the 90s. San Fran is a wonderful city. Probably my favorite in the whole country. Went to a Sting concert at the Greek Theatre on campus. Beatiful campus and area.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats on landing Demetris from Savannah, GA

Jan 21, 2017, 4:19 PM

A good kid and player. As for Clemson questions, I would stay between Clemson and Charlotte or Clemson and ATL, wherever you flight departs for trip back to CAL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2017, 4:30 PM

I live in Charleston. Y'all can stay with me. Is your wife hot by the way? Jk....

Definitely stay in downtown Greenville.

Jan 21, 2017, 5:07 PM

You will have your choice of nicer hotels than you will find in Clemson, for significantly less as well (Clemson is a small college town and the few hotels there jack up their rates for football weekends, often with a two night minimum). Downtown Greenville has won many national awards for its downtown. Over 100 restaurants/bars, very clean and walkable. You and your wife will love it, perhaps even more than Charleston. Both are great cities.

Regarding tickets, this will be a popular game but you should be able to get them without issue on the secondary market. You will certainly pay a premium, but I wouldn't expect them to be more than $150-$200 each.

Definitely spend time in Clemson on game day. You will find the tailgating scene to be as impressive as any you have seen. College football in the south is akin to pro sports in larger cities, and Clemson is no exception. What's interesting about a school like Clemson is that most of our fans actually aren't alums because there are so many fans in the general population as well.

You will enjoy Clemson's nice campus. It will likely be hot that day, but the humidity won't be that much more than what you get in southern California. You will notice the difference, but it is not like you will be miserable or anything.

Enjoy your trip! I hope Clemson will turn out to be your favorite trip thus far!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jan 21, 2017, 5:16 PM

Let me know if you need specifics on Charleston. I live there. You can't go wrong, it's awesome!

Jan 22, 2017, 10:15 AM

Charleston is cool. It's a don't miss.

Actually Chapel Hill is nice.

Jan 22, 2017, 10:29 AM

I would break up my stay from there and visit Wilmington, NC then Charleston. An alternative, if you play golf, is hit Pinehurst before Charleston. Charleston has an Old World charm.

I would then stay in Greenville, but designate a full day in Clemson on game day.

I know of several Berkeley grads on Clemson's faculty.

WELCOME!

You may leave with an Orange Blood transfusion.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 22, 2017, 11:09 AM

http://www.clemson.edu/madren/inn/index.html

James Martin inn close to/on campus

You guys have an excellent trip to look forward to

Jan 22, 2017, 11:21 AM

Charleston and Clemson will be awesome stops if you've never been. I've been to several Cal games and had a great time, but you'll laugh at the difference in tailgating between Cal and Clemson. Its like going from single A to major leagues.
Enjoy!!

null

I recommend staying in Greenville.

Jan 22, 2017, 11:26 AM

Re: I recommend staying in Greenville.

Jan 22, 2017, 1:40 PM

I echo an earlier suggestion to spend a day or two in Highlands NC. It is only a little over an hour from Clemson and at an elevation of 4200 feet, is usually 10 degrees cooler than Clemson. There are several restaurants there that rival those in Charleston and there are a number of waterfalls in the area as well. Greenville is great too. I think of it as "Charleston Lite".
Some other historical info....Clemson got a great deal of it's first faculty from Auburn as well as the architecture of the early buildings. Tillman Hall, the central building on campus looks exactly like those at Auburn. Our second football coach came to Clemson from Auburn in 1896...His name was Heisman and he left us just after the turn of the century to go to Georgia Tec where he had quite a career.
Most of our football coaches however seem to come to us not from Auburn, but from their rival, Alabama. Frank Howard, Hootie Ingram, Danny Ford and now Dabo Swinney were/are Bama grads....
Stay in touch and reach out to us nearer time for the game and we can help you "fine tune " your trip....

I don't understand Greenville recommendations

Jan 22, 2017, 1:26 PM

Don't get me wrong, Greenville is very nice and I have stayed there before. But it is not Clemson. If the OP is coming to experience a great southern tradition, I feel like he would be missing out if he stayed 40 minutes away in Greenville. Greenville is a nice alternative to fans who live 3, 4 or five hours away. It's likely that they have already experienced a weekend in Clemson, and are simply looking for cheaper hotels and more commercial entertainment options. And while Greenville is nice, it pales in comparison to Charleston. So if you are looking for complete immersion in the college game experience, I would look into staying somewhere closer.

I usually go to two or three away games every season. When I am there I want to experience the local flair and college town atmosphere. I never appreciated staying 30 40 or 50 miles away.

Just my two cents.

My thoughts also. Destination Clemson. Stay in Seneca and

Jan 22, 2017, 4:07 PM

enjoy all that Clemson has to offer.

Jan 22, 2017, 1:32 PM

try to avoid driving through columbia..maybe take the back roads from charleston to clemson.. you dont want to get any chicken mess on your car

Jan 22, 2017, 2:19 PM

1. Auburn is like our SEC step brother, not a rival. Tickets will be hot as that is one of the best home games this year.

2. Hotels will be jacked way high with 3 night minimums. Your best bet is to AirBNB a house. We got one on the lake last time for way cheaper than a hotel.
3. Smoking Pig BBQ.
4. '55 Exchange - on Clemson campus home made ice cream. Butter pecan milkshake is ridiculous.
5. Get some Clemson gear at Mr. knickerbockers.
6. Enjoy Auburn getting run out of the stadium.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2017, 5:44 PM

> 1. Auburn is like our SEC step brother, not a rival.
> Tickets will be hot as that is one of the best home
> e games this year.
>
> 2. Hotels will be jacked way high with 3 night
> minimums. Your best bet is to AirBNB a house. We
> got one on the lake last time for way cheaper than a
> hotel.
> 3. Smoking Pig BBQ.
> 4. '55 Exchange - on Clemson campus home made ice
> cream. Butter pecan milkshake is ridiculous.
> 5. Get some Clemson gear at Mr. knickerbockers.
> 6. Enjoy Auburn getting run out of the stadium.

I like the shirt selection at Judge Keller's

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic