Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
COVID-19 and Polio
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

COVID-19 and Polio

Feb 12, 2021, 6:50 PM

Got my second Moderna shot at Ingles here in Clemson this AM. Smooth operation. In fact, I was scheduled for 9:40 AM and actually got my shot before that time.

While I was sitting there for the required 15 minutes after getting the shot, I remembered the polio epidemic we had in the 1930's, 40's and 50's. It took awhile but Salk finally developed a vaccine. We were living in Belle Glade in the early 1950's. Our family doctor called one day and told my wife and I to bring our two daughters to his office, he had just received a shipment of the vaccine. We dropped everything and off we went. We didn't want him to run out of vaccine before we got there. That was a good feeling knowing they had received the vaccine.

Some of you may remember the iron lung. Some of the people who had a serious case and could afford it were placed in an iron lung, some living the remainder of their life in the iron lung. It must have been some time in the late 1930's when a young man in an iron lung and his family were going down to south Florida for the winter and had stopped in my old home town. This was real exciting because several of us got to see and talk with the man in the iron lung.

Do any of you remember the iron lung used for polio patients?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: COVID-19 and Polio

Feb 12, 2021, 7:01 PM

I remember the iron lung but it was before my time. I experienced the sugar cubes that most remember as being administered by your local health dept.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2021, 7:34 PM

Joe, I love reading your stories. The iron lung was before my time but, I do have the smallpox vaccine scar. Please take care of yourself tonight. My neighbor got her second Moderna vaccine yesterday. Have you some Advil handy. I hope that you do not have a bad night but, be prepared.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2021, 7:35 PM

I studied about the Iron Lung at Clemson. Wish you’d post this on every social media site possible for the antivaccine crowd. They have the great luxury of not knowing the terrible toll Polio took, thanks to a vaccine. And I too remember taking the sugar cube. Thanks be to God for it!
Finally, Joe I’m so glad you got your shot today. Hope you feel fine. We did perfectly ok with both.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2021, 7:46 PM

I remember the Polio scare of the late 40’s and early 50’s. A boy that lived on the same block as we did got polio and was in the “Iron Lung” for awhile, I remember visiting him, he lived but had many problems .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember getting the vaccine and

Feb 12, 2021, 8:15 PM

a girl in my school who had to walk with braces and crutches

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2021, 8:37 PM

joe,i was a polio pioneer(still have my id card from the national foundation for infantile paralysis)for "taking part in the first national tests of a trial polio vaccine conducted during 1954."believe i was in the 3rd grade at the time.we were given a series of 3 shots at school.can't remember how they were spaced and hated getting the "needle",but the good news was we didn't have to do schoolwork for those days.there's always a silver lining.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 12, 2021, 8:46 PM

Had a first cousin that was in one for a few years, but he got out of it and is fine in his 70's now

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2021, 11:48 PM

I never saw an iron lung but definitely remember the sugar cubes with the vaccine. That was a really effective way to get it out to children.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2021, 2:42 PM

First saw an iron lung on the tv shoe MEDIC starring Richard Boone. Got the first shot in the third grade. Was a relief when the oral version was approved. A boy at our church got the disease and spent the remainder of his life in a wheel chair. Can't imagine how difficult life would be living in an iron lung. Feel certain I couldn't deal with the severe claustrophobia it would cause.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Mom & Dad were talking about the sugar cube when we were

Feb 13, 2021, 3:34 PM

going to get their first Moderna shot. They were born in early 40's, and both remembered churches and schools being closed due to polio. Also remember that hot temperatures were deemed bad, so they could go outside in the morning but had to hunker down inside when it was warmer outside.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic