Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CFP Biggest Concern
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

CFP Biggest Concern

Dec 13, 2019, 6:44 AM

My biggest worry is our defense. While I think our offense can hang (go toe to toe) with anyone, I am unsure about our defense. The defense has not faced an elite offense all year. At best, we've went up against mediocre offenses in the ACC. Now, with both OSU and LSU, we'll be facing mobile quarterbacks, with a running game and their team's ability to send out 3, 4 and 5 wide receivers.

Venables is great at scheming however, our line doesn't pressure the QB, if we blitz to compensate, our LB's and DB's are exposed. This was very obvious playing VA, Muse doesn't have the speed to cover anyone. The O'lines we'll be facing will be bigger and stronger, and have elite RB's and WR's. If "speadout" with multiple WR's, there will be no pass rush and both QB's will have to be spied to prevent their runs.

We've been fortunate through the year with our matchups however, bottom line - a good defense looks great playing mediocre offenses, but only average playing great offenses.

Go Tigers !!!

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do realize that the Clemson D

Dec 13, 2019, 6:50 AM

Practices against an offense like that...year round...right?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You do realize that the Clemson D

Dec 13, 2019, 7:00 AM

I didn't realize Tanner Muse was a defensive liability in the pass game until now either. I'm a little worried now.

Makes me wonder how exactly does Clemson win a CFP game or NC with a guy like that on the roster?

Hopefully BV has a plan. :)

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2019, 7:10 AM [ in reply to You do realize that the Clemson D ]

Doesnt mean our D isn't vulnerable. They get a lot of practice though vs a great O. We will see when the game comes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2019, 7:15 AM

I also realize you exist solely to contest what anyone says here. Contrarian much...or simply argumentative?

Dec 13, 2019, 7:22 AM

Wasn't that what that exactly what your post was doing that I responded to? Anyway, I just know sports. I was pointing out the obvious. Practicing against the best O helps, but it doesn't necessarily mean that D is great. They get quality practices. Yes.

Dec 13, 2019, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: You do realize that the Clemson D ]

Whoa, sorry 'bout that I actually was trying to reply to the original post above yours.

Handwringing "captain obvious" posts from handwringers deserve a rebuttal. I realize you probably thought I was responding to your post...and I wasn't...so I won't tell you to you not to get your panties in a wad. :)

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah but we had DL leave for the NFL last year!***

Dec 13, 2019, 8:33 AM [ in reply to You do realize that the Clemson D ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. If we don't win the National Championship

Dec 13, 2019, 6:58 AM

One of two things will prove out:

1. We turn the ball over
2. Our defense gets "exposed" by one of the 3 best offenses in college football.

Since you can't really "predict" turnovers....the single biggest thing to me is the LB play outside of Simmons. That will, ultimately, tell our story this year IMO.

Re: I agree. If we don't win the National Championship

Dec 13, 2019, 7:12 AM

I completely agree. Turnovers and our D will decide whether we win it all.

Someone will need to consistantly stop us on third down too

Dec 13, 2019, 8:35 AM [ in reply to I agree. If we don't win the National Championship ]

Ohio St seems like the only team out of the 4 that could do that

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CFP Biggest Concern

Dec 13, 2019, 7:05 AM

Definitely. This will be our D's first test.

Dec 13, 2019, 7:06 AM

You do understand that containing the QB runs not rushing the passer was the game plan against Virginia. Bryce was 90% of their offense. Coach Venables had a plan to contain the QB and it worked to perfection.

Dec 13, 2019, 7:14 AM

Rushing the passer from our DL has been an issue most of the year. I agree though that UVA was a little different.

Dec 13, 2019, 8:32 AM

Has it been an issue, or has it been by design? Three-man fronts aren't typically going to be all that effective rushing the passer or getting stops behind the line of scrimmage. If the linemen fill their lanes and the back 7 or 8 "Do their job," we should be fine.

Our athletes on defense are just as good as theirs on offense. I'm not worried athletically or schematically. We just need not to have any big breakdowns, like we did in 2016.

I think we'll be fine, particularly because we've developed a lot of depth.

We are number 22 in team sacks. Oh St is 3

Dec 13, 2019, 8:39 AM

okie is 30 and the corn dogs are 37

Dec 13, 2019, 7:25 AM

You go realize we have basically the same back seven on D as last year. The only one missing in the secondary is Trayvon Mullen. We held Alabama’s receivers and Tua in check for 4 quarters. Tanner Muse made one big mistake on the TD with Juedy but made up for that mistake with some really big plays down the stretch. Clemson will be fine. No need to worry. I am confident you will see the best version of Clemson. If that is not enough, then so be it! Enjoy the ride baby! Stop wringing your hands!

Averaging 10 ppg and many of those in situations where

Dec 13, 2019, 7:39 AM

We have backups in. I don’t think people realize that winning every week in the acc is tough too. We face many different offensive styles where some other conferences you have the same attack every week. I think our d will not be a liability. Will they give up a big play or two, probably.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Averaging 10 ppg and many of those in situations where

Dec 13, 2019, 7:49 AM

True. Anyway, I could be wrong, and I know it's one game at a time, but I feel really good about beating Ohio State, due to BV having so much time. I do worry about our D vs LSU, but I think we can put up over 40 on them.

agreed. I think our offense should do well against LSU and

Dec 13, 2019, 8:05 AM

I think our d just needs to stop or slow more than LSU’s de does. I admittedly have orange colored glasses on but I think we do well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Averaging 10 ppg and many of those in situations where

Dec 13, 2019, 8:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Averaging 10 ppg and many of those in situations where ]

BV will have over 2 weeks to prepare for LSU. It's a tougher challenge, but as you point out their defense is not as good as OSU's

Dec 13, 2019, 7:44 AM

We will use the four safety look with Muse choking out Dobbins on run plays and the other three guys handling coverage

Dec 13, 2019, 8:03 AM

We all got awfully spoiled last year (with the greatest D-line of all time).

team is #10 in tackles for loss. This year the team has .5 less sacks per game than the #1 team in the country in that stat. I don't think these differences are significant - especially over just two games.

Also, our back end is substantially better than last year. And get off of Tanner (everybody). He is doing an excellent job within BV's scheme. He is the guy with the most run/pass pressure on him and he has done well with the dual responsibility. he occasionally gives up a big play but that is part of BV's aggressive defensive philosophy.

Finally, it's championship season and our team (players and coaches) are built for this. With three weeks to prepare, our guys will rise to the challenge. OSUs offense is very good but we will limit their running and their passing will not be able to keep up with ours. LSU's offense is excellent, but their defense will allow us to win the scoring battle.

Go Tigers !!

Dec 13, 2019, 8:33 AM

It's obvious we all know how great our coaches are, but I am very impressed at what an amazing call it was to move Derion Kendrick to db. We definitely had the need and he is a perfect fit. This staff never gets blindsided by anyone leaving early etc. Even with coaching Dabo is always ready for changes.

Dec 13, 2019, 8:19 AM

A few things to consider here.

1. I do think our defense will be tested more than they have all season, but it is the playoffs!

2. Everyone is talking about ACC being weak this year, but if you look at the national aveerages. The offenses in the ACC were ranked up there. Wake(12), UNC(14), BC(25), Louisville (36). According to the averages Indiana(31) and FAU(33) are the best offenses that Ohio St. has faced. Now how much of that is based off of stronger offenses in the ACC and stronger defenses in the BIG10. We will find out I guess. Someone has mentioned before that BIG10 didn't have a very strong out of conference schedule so it is hard to get a baseline.

3. I do think Muse struggles in single coverage, but he does well in sitting back and coming over as help. That's where he leads our team in interceptions. He is also very strong in run support.

4. Finally, "In Venables I trust". I do think we will see some different schemes with backers than down linemen. Ohio St. seems to be a run first team. Dobbins and Fields normally avg about 35+ rushes a game. If we bring pressure from different places and get to Field's I think he will get flustered. He hasn't thrown a lot of INT's but in the big games he has fumbled ALOT. Against Mich St., PSU, and Wisconsin(2 games) he had something like 9 fumbles and lost like 5 of them. I think he tucks and gets happy feet, doing too much and fumbles the ball.

All of this is just my 2 cent's worth but that is what I have seen looking back at a few stat lines.

Dec 13, 2019, 8:26 AM

My biggest concern is that one of the other teams in the CFP will play a better game than we do. The four teams in the playoff are a combined 51-1. There are four great QBs playing in the semi-finals. Two of those QBs have already won a National Championship game. All four of the coaches in the CFP are excellent. It will take two great, almost error free games to win the title this year. Winning this year will be much tougher than the two Natty's we have won in the last three years.

All that is the biggest concern in the College Football Playoff this year and it's a concern for every team.

If Clemson wins the thing, it will be because of the play of Tanner Muse and guys like him and not in spite of his play.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em stillacoot

Dec 13, 2019, 8:41 AM

fno

Dec 13, 2019, 9:03 AM

Now doubt that sacks and pressure from our d-line is down.

However, those numbers are down for anther reason. Our defense is facing fewer snaps. We have opposing 65 snaps compared to 72 snaps. Other teams are getting 10% opportunities. (If curious, our offense is averaging one play more than last year).

So right now, Clemson is averaging 2.85 (3.1 before Virginia I think) sacks per game or 4.3% of the time. Ok, so we are getting just less than one sack ever 20 snaps. I think that it is about a sack ever 23 snaps. In comparison, with 3.6 sacks per game in 2018 per 72 snaps. We were getting a sack every 20 snaps.

But here is the other item. Interceptions. Those are up A LOT!

We are averaging 1.3 interceptions per 65 snaps as compared to 0.9 every 72 snaps. Even with better pressure last year, we were not forcing interceptions. So we were forcing an interception ever 80 snaps last year and this year and now we get one every 50 snaps. That is a very big deal and BV is definitely leaning on its strengths.

Dec 13, 2019, 9:04 AM

*10* fewer opportunities.

Dec 13, 2019, 9:26 AM

You are not a Clemson fan, and you DEFINITELY sit down when you pee.

FSU was better this year, Louisville was better this year,

Dec 13, 2019, 9:28 AM

etc...

Yet our defense had BETTER numbers than last year, though the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers came in EARLIER this year.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic